Cover band website, video & setlist - kinda flying blind here [help!]

• Members

Hi everybody

I've been a long-time reader here, ALOT lately. After a 10 year break I decided to get back into playing guitar in a covers band.

Great guys, good musicians, been with them for several months of weekly practice [no one ever cancels!!] It took us a while to find a singer and get a list of songs down everybody was happy with but we're here!

So it seems to have fallen on me to put together some marketing material and book some shows. After reading many, many posts and watching a lot of videos here is my first attempt

One Day Weekend

To start off I wanted to keep it simple [+ we just dont have the content yet]...basically a glorified business card online to direct bookers to and a facebook linkup for fans interaction [that is the basic model right?...I'm looking at you Petting Hendrix :wave: ]

Anyways...I'd love to hear some of you guys opinions on anything that you feel like commenting on...song list, website, video...I'm not getting much constructive critism from the guys.

Thanks

LS

• Members

Regarding the set list, there seems to be a whole bunch of songs that are gloomy, slow, obscure, or all three. I'm guessing you have a "serious" musician or two in the band? Because, personally, I'd dump all of those types of songs and find some tunes that you know young, hot chicks will dig. And if the guitarist or bassist or whoever doesn't like it, well, tough.

Otherwise, IDK, I don't get much of a sense of who you are. It looks to me like a bunch of dudes playing a bunch of random songs. If you are counting on your "extensive light show and FOH PA system" to drum up business and attract dedicated fans... well, I'm not so sure about that idea.

Not trying to be harsh, just suggesting that you think about ways to meaningfully set yourself apart.

• Members

Hey, not harsh at all. Really. I asked for a bit of direction and I appreciate the honesty. And you're echoing a lot of my thoughts too.

The song list...yea, I've had very little contribution and I've already insisted on cutting more than one, as well as all beatles lol...I am not the 'serious musician' in the bunch.

Lack of Identity...I think thats sort of reflected in our song list. There hasn't been much talk about who we are other than 'git the gurls on the dancefloor'. I know that attitude holds no value, I guess maybe thats why the website and video...to get them thinking along those lines.

"I'd get new video up with the bass player wearing pants and shoes, preferably with socks... "

LOL that line confirms for me the true nature of things. yea the video needs to be redone. What can I say it was a practice hehe

thanks guys

LS

• Members

There hasn't been much talk about who we are other than 'git the gurls on the dancefloor'. I know that attitude holds no value

Actually, I think that attitude DOES hold value. As opposed to, say, "Let's do lots of 10-minute solos to show off our amazing chops."

But you need to be able to attract those girls to the dancefloor, and I'm not seeing that appeal quite yet...

• Members

hey it's a start though. The good news is that you guys seem pretty talented so that's not an issue. The issue is gettin everyone on board with playing the right songs girls want to dance to... and I can tell you from experience, that Machine Head is not one of those songs :) (we used to open with that song for years)

I assume someone in the band has the "i'm not playing mustang sally or sweet home alabama" attitude. And again, from experience, either convince them otherwise or find a replacement :)

• Members

The issue is gettin everyone on board with playing the right songs girls want to dance to... and I can tell you from experience, that Machine Head is not one of those songs
:)
(we used to open with that song for years)

The (a) key to getting girls on the dance floor is pretty simple: play upbeat songs that are familiar.

The view has been expressed on this forum by some that as long as you're playing something with a good dance-y beat, that people will dance regardless of the specific song. That is true to a certain degree BUT, we do a couple of long dance medleys with essentially the same beat going throughout and definately the dancefloor gets more full for the more current/popular songs and empties somewhat during the lesser-known songs.

• Members

Since I don't feel like doing much today I'll chime in with my thoughts on your set. If you are going after a "rock-dance band" vibe... remember YMMV- I am looking at it as if MY band was playing this set. Or at least my experience with these tunes.

Black Crows - Hard to handle

Everclear - Santa Monica

Sublime - Santeria

Fallout boy - Dance Dance

KISS - Detroit Rock City

Finger 11 - Paralyzer

Foo Fighters - Everlong

Queen - Fat-bottom girls

Godsmack - Whatever

Matchbox 20 - 3 am

Incubus - Drive

Franz Ferdinand - Take me out

Poison - Talk dirty to me

The Commodores - Brick house

Offspring - Come out and play

Weezer - Say it ain

• Members

we do a couple of long dance medleys with essentially the same beat going throughout and definately the dancefloor gets more full for the more current/popular songs and empties somewhat during the lesser-known songs.

Yep. I see the same thing happen

• Members

A couple quick suggestions:

* The big band name logo design thing is a little confusing. A lot of work probably went into its design, but I'd still scrap it and come up with something which leaves no doubt as to the band name.

* I wouldn't post your setlist on the webpage. to me it takes some of the "mystery" out of you guys. I'd prefer it if you'd just give some basic ideas about the type of music you play or your biggest influences. Besides, setlists are usually pretty dynamic and it'll be a pain to keep up with.

* You're getting the usual "random song setlist" comments I see, but I'm generally more open to that sort of thing than most on here. I think the setlist is pretty good, of course depending on the delivery. That is to say, I would enjoy it if I were there. That said, I'm not a 20 year old hot chick. :lol:

• Members

I'd get new video up with the bass player wearing pants and shoes, preferably with socks...

This is absolutely KEY. For a solid band, the way you look is almost as important as how good you are (and it's close). Not necessarily the way it should be, but that's the reality. If that video is supposed to sell you guys, it needs to be better. My advice would be to book an open mic night (even for free if necessary) or something to start out. First off, it can help you get gigs if that place pays on the weekends and they like you, and secondly, have someone tape it and fix that audition video on your site. You'll get a better mix and give potential employers a better taste of what to expect when they hire you. No offense but the dude in the sandals especially...ouch. No, double ouch. :facepalm: :facepalm: :D

Setlist wise, please please PLEASE don't play anything by Staind. Ugh that will bore your crowd to tears in 30 seconds. There are some good choices there too though. If you're trying to be a dance/rock/party type band, get rid of 90% of the slow downers. Having a couple in the bag is OK. We play say it ain't so and yellow ledbetter and maybe 1 or 2 more, but we only pull them out when the time is right. Not at every gig.

Website wise...make your logo WAY smaller (and I agree that it's confusing so consider that too) and get it to the top of the page. I have to scroll down and look for information which is more work than most bar owners want to do. Make things as easy to see/find as possible. Your page has too much going on. This isn't a plug, but if you want to see what I mean about simplicity (especially on your home page) check out our website if you like (and I'm definitely no web-design guru...) www.spacecatband.com

Get rid of the 'rocking the pac north west' line. Are you really doing that? If you were, you'd have a bunch of gigs on your site to sell it. :thu:

You guys sound pretty good though! Good luck!

• Members

I wouldn't post your setlist on the webpage.

I disagree. Many hiring agents want to see that anyways, and why not have it available to them easily rather than having to email it to them or whatever else. People who hire you don't want mystery. They want to know what they're getting because they know what they're looking for and what works with their customers.

• Members

I'm looking at you Petting Hendrix
:wave:

Haha! Thanks for calling us out! :wave:

I like the look of the site! I think the color scheme/artwork is impactful and I wish we could have come up with something like that. I'd try to keep everything in frame, though... with the most important stuff in view ... maybe add a navigation menu if you can't get everyhting to fit.

We use an actual band page on facebook. I'm not sure if there is an advantage to using a personal page.

One thing that helped us was we made friends with an aspiring photographer. He takes about 200 pictures a show (for free) and Amy and I crop/edit/upload them the next day or so. There is another local photographer who goes to shows and takes pictures of different bands - also for free - so we have some good shots from him as well. Out of the thousands of pics that we have, I try to choose the ones the ones make us look good and keep them front and center.

That being said, I'd add some pics of chicks dancing as soon as possible! The more, the better! :thu:

I honestly keep forgetting about our website. I really need to keep it updated! Might be time to get some muisic on there, too.

• Members

I think adding another guitar player would really help to fill out the songs. Also, work on the video, 3am is kinda rough, you don't want people to see a weak performance. Since it's a practice, even decide on half the song, or what you want to play for the video and really nail it.

And spring for the URL instead of the current one.

http://www.onedayweekend.com

:thu:

Oh ok I see it directs me there. Just have the URL show up properly...

Archived