Upcoming Gig Flyers - Hand out at gigs?

Howie22

• Members

I recently saw a band that was giving out "Upcoming Gig" flyers at their show. Thought this was a great idea. Essentially, it's just a little 1/4 page flyer with upcoming show dates, contact info, website, and facebook page info. It's super cheap, and you can give everyone something with your contact info.

Does anyone else do this? Ever had a venue you were playing get upset about it?

• Members

Some club owners will hate you for this because you are basically advertising a different bar/venue than theirs. Others don't care, so I would ask before handing them out.

Kinda what I was thinking.

• Members

I recently saw a band that was giving out "Upcoming Gig" flyers at their show. Thought this was a great idea. Essentially, it's just a little 1/4 page flyer with upcoming show dates, contact info, website, and facebook page info. It's super cheap, and you can give everyone something with your contact info.

Does anyone else do this? Ever had a venue you were playing get upset about it?

I would NEVER even consider this. I can't imagine a bar owner not being pissed at you, in effect, using their stage to promote another bar.

What you can do (and we do) is get business cards printed with your contact information including website, facebook page, etc. and say something over the mike like - "Hey grab one of our cards and check out our site..." or something like that.

• Members

Excellent points you make here. I think you are all probably right, though to be fair, I would never consider giving them out in a venue where I play anywhere nearby. While I can think of several venues that would probably be cool with it, it is probably best to reserve these for private events and/or more festival type of things, where there is no worry of the whole "competing venue" thing.

I know I've heard of people on here doing it, and I obviously saw this band do it. That being said, the venue I saw it in was not a typical bar gig.

Actually its worse than that ,,, the whole bar is going to be littered with your flyers. Would you want to have to clean up that mess after 2am? It costs them more money because they have extra work to do.

Another excellent point, though I wasn't envisioning a "mass handout" kind of thing.

• Members

What the others said. Never promote another business at the one you're working at. We announce our website and tell people to check it out to find where we're playing, but the only gig we'll actively promote at a club, is the next time we're at that club.

• Members

Excellent points you make here. I think you are all probably right, though to be fair, I would never consider giving them out in a venue where I play anywhere nearby. While I can think of several venues that would probably be cool with it,
it is probably best to reserve these for private events and/or more festival type of things, where there is no worry of the whole "competing venue" thing.
I know I've heard of people on here doing it, and I obviously saw this band do it. That being said, the venue I saw it in was not a typical bar gig.

Another excellent point, though I wasn't envisioning a "mass handout" kind of thing.

I would not do that either. Pvt events and festivals are a different deal. At a pvt event you dont promote your band business. You are there to entertain the guests on the hosts dime. With a festival ,,, you are on the bill with other bands typically and its more proper to just go on play your slot and treat it like a concert with no promotions. If they allow you to market they will tell you and there will be an area for you to sell your stuff and sign your CD's. Then its just a we will be at such and such a place after the show. keep it simple and low key Dont take it upon yourself to start marketing from the stage.

• Members

I think time would be better spent promoting the place that hired you (drink specials, tip your bartender/waitresses, next time you are playing THERE, etc.). Your band banner behind you with your website addy on it, announcing band name and website over the mic and your e-mail sign up list is more than enough and well within clubbing protocol to market your band.

• Members

Have been in bands that have done it for years, current band does it, seen tons of bands do it for the past 20 years in both originals and covers markets...

Not a single venue has ever had an issue with it; they understand that you're doing the same at other venues promoting your shows at theirs.

Best practice: make sure you police the venue on breaks, etc. and ESPECIALLY at the end of the night picking up the ones that get knocked on the floor or that are left behind on tables/bars, etc.

Archived