Sub-pole-tops...

mstreck

• Members

We've been using speaker stands for our tops and they are a PIA when it comes to taking up floor space. I'm going to buy poles that we can stick in the top of our subs then place the JBLs on them.

I found these on MF. They are rated 80lb, and our tops are 60 lb. Any drawbacks to using these?

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/electro-voice-asp1-adjustable-subwoofer-pole/580081000001000

Thanks!

Mike

• Members

Our tops are 85lbs a piece. No doubt they would crush those hollow aluminum poles. I'm sure they would work but if it were up to me I'd find something a little more durable for 60lb mains. No suggestions really as we are using the poles that came with our cabs.

• Members

Unless you have really wide subs with a low center of gravity, you'll probably find them easier to tip over. I have poles like that, but I still use stands for the mains because poles on subs just don't seem safe enough to me.

• Members

Unless you have really wide subs with a low center of gravity, you'll probably find them easier to tip over. I have poles like that, but I still use stands for the mains because poles on subs just don't seem safe enough to me.

Hmmmm... I never thought of that. Some places we play are really tight on space, so I'll at least try them out.

• Members

+1 And add to that the possibility of playing outdoors on an uneven surface or a non-firm surface like grass. The footprint of those subs will be even less helpful. We just provided sound for a windy outdoor event where we used 24" forming stakes on each leg of our tripods for safety. I would not have been as confident to try that with subs.

• Members

We use both depending on the gig, sometimes it's poles, sometimes it's stands.

At least if you get the poles, you have a choice. I wouldn't worry about 60lb speakerson a 65lb rated pole- they can handle more than that, they always give a conservative weight for them. Like my ladder that is rated for 225lbs but my 265lb ass is on it all the time with no issues.

• Members

I had a thought, and may have to look into some fabrication. I would like a t-bar for lights that had an extension on top for a speaker. My speakers will tilt so the excess height shouldn't be an issue, and I could center cluster the subs. Otherwise 4 tri-pods across the front is just too much most places.

• Members

I had a thought, and may have to look into some fabrication. I would like a t-bar for lights that had an extension on top for a speaker. My speakers will tilt so the excess height shouldn't be an issue, and I could center cluster the subs. Otherwise 4 tri-pods across the front is just too much most places.

I did it the other way - mounted a T-Bar on the top of my mains.

• Members

I did it the other way - mounted a T-Bar on the top of my mains.

Yep that is probably the best way. Unfortunately, there are no fly-points built into my speakers, and I just can't bring myself to drill into my relatively expensive tops.

Archived