I have a possible idea for a music festival, or event or something. am I crazy?

• Members

I've been going to music festivals my whole life, but never lived anywhere that hosted one. So I had an idea today inspired by some of these festivals.

Boise's music scene often puts bands/musicians at odds with each other and there's just flat out no musicians community. So as a way to let local musicians interact, hold a "band scramble". Individuals or bands enter, but individually fill out entry forms with instruments played, maybe not much else. Then new bands are formed somewhat randomly (with proper arrangements of course) and given x amount of time to put together a song, or set. Winner gets $ or some sort of diviable prize, but the real intention, or purpose, especially the first time around would be to create a network and community, and give a variety of musicians a chance (if they're interested) to do something different. Many things could be taught and learned.

So at this point I realistically could start small, put together 5, 6 or more bands plus individual musicians, get a venue, and see what happens, and go from there. Of course I understand theres much more involved than what I've mentioned, and many things I haven't considered yet. just an idea at this point, I'm just curious if any has ever heard of or been involved in this type of thing and has any advice. Is this something worth pursuing? Am I crazy?

• Members

I have seen this done, within a much larger festival/contest. And that may be the way to go. There is a local 3 or 4 day festival/concert every summer way up in the mountains that has just enough variety of genres to make something like that interesting or just fun.

• Members

Yes.

If you want to interact with other musicians, beer is probably a cheaper and less complicated method.

Well he is in a pretty strong Mormon area, may not be many beer drinkers. Probably have better luck finding musicians at a wife-swapping party.

• Members

I think trying to cover something made to generate camaraderie/build connections within the guise of something that's ultimately a contest is asking for trouble and/or failure:

Imagine a skilled and highly competitive guitarist getting stuck with a bass player and drummer who can't really play, etc.

Seems to be asking for trouble.

• Members

That seems like a lot of freakin' work for a 1-time gig. My guess is that the majority of the musicians in regularly working bands would pass on this and you'd end up with a bunch of hacks. I know I'm busy enough with what we're doing that I'd definitely pass on something like this.

• Members

Well he is in a pretty strong Mormon area, may not be many beer drinkers. Probably have better luck finding musicians at a wife-swapping party.

Whatever. The point was that there are far simpler and more effective ways to network then some complicated "contest" that will most likely result in crappy music and bad feelings.

• Moderators

I like the idea. The OP said the aim was not really a "contest", but that was just the framework. I think if the "fun" part or it was played up and any prizes were basically tokens, it could be pretty cool.

I'd make it one song, absolutley no more. And it might be cool to record it and make a CD.

Stuff similar to this has been done around here a number of times. One time I participated in this thing where they threw musicians who had never met together to "live" score short abstract art films.

Would take some work to organize, of course.

• Moderators

That seems like a lot of freakin' work for a 1-time gig. My guess is that the majority of the musicians in regularly working bands would pass on this and you'd end up with a bunch of hacks. I know I'm busy enough with what we're doing that I'd definitely pass on something like this.

You're looking at from the angle of "work" rather than something that's supposed to be a fun novelty. Haven't you ever don't something musically that didn't have any real tangible results but was just a cool excercise to blow off steam?

:idk:

• Members

All valid points.

Whatever. The point was that there are far simpler and more effective ways to network then some complicated "contest" that will most likely result in crappy music and bad feelings.

Yeah {censored} it. Last dying embers of unrealistic youthfull ambition I suppose.

• Moderators

As far as getting stuck with people that can't play, that's kind of the idea, everyone would be aware of that possibility, and that's where up and comers might get a chance to play with someone that could teach them a thing or two. And if not interested, don't enter.

I think that de-emphasizing (or maybe doing away with) the "contest" portion would help weed out uptight people who freak out because someone in their "band" isn't up to their standard.

• Members

Find someone who has experience at this and talk to them. If by the time they have informed you of all the details, you're still not deterred, you might try a small event to get your feet wet. I've done small events and to do it right is a huge undertaking. The crowd might have fun but you will be a nervous f********* wreck by the time it's over.

• Members

Find someone who has experience at this and talk to them. If by the time they have informed you of all the details, you're still not deterred, you might try a small event to get your feet wet. I've done small events and to do it right is a huge undertaking. The crowd might have fun but you will be a nervous f********* wreck by the time it's over.

I'd be a nervous wreck 2 weeks into planning.

He'll I was nervous posting this thread.

• Members

You're looking at from the angle of "work" rather than something that's supposed to be a fun novelty. Haven't you ever don't something musically that didn't have any real tangible results but was just a cool excercise to blow off steam?

:idk:

Work aside, it's a lot of monetary output to provide reinforcement, insurance, advertising, venue, etc. for an event like this where the targeted audience is pretty much just other musicians and no tangible results. If I were to attempt something like this I would find a bar with sound and lights and try and get an open Sunday and basically offer them a show to sell food and booze at, allowing you to produce the show you want, however unprofitable it may be. Loosely tie it to a good cause and raise a few bucks while you're at it.

• Members

Work aside, it's a lot of monetary output to provide reinforcement, insurance, advertising, venue, etc. for an event like this where the targeted audience is pretty much just other musicians and no tangible results. If I were to attempt something like this I would find a bar with sound and lights and try and get an open Sunday and basically offer them a show to sell food and booze at, allowing you to produce the show you want, however unprofitable it may be. Loosely tie it to a good cause and raise a few bucks while you're at it.

Yes. MAke it as easy as possible.

• Members

I guess the other way to look at this is thank the stars that SOMEONE has the balls to produce events or it would be a boring world. These things take place every day somewhere in the country so obviously it's not that difficult. However, you need to really plan it out very carefully and consider every possible scenario or problem. Get a team of RELIABLE people to help you because you do not want to attempt this solo. I think once you've done a few, it takes on a pattern that you can more easily manage. First couple are a bitch.

• Members

I guess the other way to look at this is thank the stars that SOMEONE has the balls to produce events or it would be a boring world. These things take place every day somewhere in the country so obviously it's not that difficult. However, you need to really plan it out very carefully and consider every possible scenario or problem. Get a team of RELIABLE people to help you because you do not want to attempt this solo. I think once you've done a few, it takes on a pattern that you can more easily manage. First couple are a bitch.

Just like gigs.

• Members

Maybe try it this way instead of as a contest:

I don't have a lot of experience or knowledge of how Open Mics work so I don't know how common this is, but the only "open mic" that I ever did participate in worked this way:

A "Set List" was posted on the internet with the song titles and artist written from top to bottom.

Across the top of the page were "instrument chairs" (lead guitar, rythmn guitar, bass, drums, lead vocals and keys, I think). You signed your name in the space for the instrument you wanted to play for the song that you wanted to play. I think they had a limit on the number of songs that you could sign up for. Then you had ----------amount of time to learn your parts. The day of the Open Mic you ended up on stage withthree or four fellow musicians that you had most likely never met before let alone played or rehearsed with. It was fun and nerve wracking at the same time (for me anyway). You know how critical musicians in the audience can be, well, this was playing in front of an entire audience of musicians. That was new to me. Pretty intimidating too after I heard how good some of the players were, but I think I ended up holding my own ok. Some of the combinations were better then the average band playing the bars/clubs in our area too.

• Members

Maybe try it this way instead of as a contest:

I don't have a lot of experience or knowledge of how Open Mics work so I don't know how common this is, but the only "open mic" that I ever did participate in worked this way:

A "Set List" was posted on the internet with the song titles and artist written from top to bottom.

Across the top of the page were "instrument chairs" (lead guitar, rythmn guitar, bass, drums, lead vocals and keys, I think). You signed your name in the space for the instrument you wanted to play for the song that you wanted to play. I think they had a limit on the number of songs that you could sign up for. Then you had ----------amount of time to learn your parts. The day of the Open Mic you ended up on stage withthree or four fellow musicians that you had most likely never met before let alone played or rehearsed with. It was fun and nerve wracking at the same time (for me anyway). You know how critical musicians in the audience can be, well, this was playing in front of an entire audience of musicians. That was new to me. Pretty intimidating too after I heard how good some of the players were, but I think I ended up holding my own ok. Some of the combinations were better then the average band playing the bars/clubs in our area too.

:thu:

I've never heard of an open mic being done that way but that's a good idea. I know enough small time bands that would do it

• Members

:thu:

I've never heard of an open mic being done that way but that's a good idea.
I know enough small time bands that would do it

The one I attended attracted players from some of the top bands in the Philadelphia / South Jersey area. Now that was probably a lot due to the fact that it wasn't just "another open mic", but was an event put on by the "Fender Users' WEB Site".

Point is that Marketed in the right way, as a means to network etc. you might attract better then just the average open mic hacks (players like me, Ha Ha ) that you might expect otherwise. Push as a great social event for schmoozing with your friends in the local music community, etc....

Archived