Venues that do not advertise upcoming events and how to deal with them...

SBF3000

• Members

quick scenario breakdown:

we play at a club next weekend. this club has a large digital sign used for advertising. the advertising that is on there is from April and May...nothing about upcoming events.. this doesn't sit well with me. Sure we got handed our flyers and things, handed them out, etc..they have a sign that is read by tens of thousands daily.

how do attack this animal? it would benefit everyone. I don't get these bar/club owners :mad:

• Members

tell them.

do they take out ads in the local newspaper? if not, make that part of the agreement too. if not i would think about not doing the gig. or is this pace so great that they dont need to advertise?

• Members

quick scenario breakdown:

we play at a club next weekend. this club has a large digital sign used for advertising. the advertising that is on there is from April and May...nothing about upcoming events..

Maybe, the only person who knew how to program the sign quit in may?

Seriously though, a digital sign? That has got to be so easy to change. Who knows how much business they've lost over something I can't see taking more than 5 minutes. Have you called and asked them to change it? Not that you should have to..

• Members

You could even call as a patron, not as a band member that is playing at the venue and ask them why the sign info is not up to date. For that matter have a few friends call too!

Why lie/hide the truth?

Be direct: call them up, identify yourself/what band you're with and when you are playing and say that you think it would be a great idea, and beneficial for not only your band, but for other bands that play there and the venue overall if they added the upcoming shows to their sign.

They may agree and do so, and thank you profusely, throw you more bookings at a higher rate.

They may agree and do so and that's it.

They may disagree/not do so.

But you'll never know if you don't ask.

• Members

Why lie/hide the truth?

Be direct: call them up, identify yourself/what band you're with and when you are playing and say that you think it would be a great idea, and beneficial for not only your band, but for other bands that play there and the venue overall if they added the upcoming shows to their sign.

They may agree and do so, and thank you profusely, throw you more bookings at a higher rate.

They may agree and do so and that's it.

They may disagree/not do so.

But you'll never know if you don't ask.

I informed the headlining band who informed the booking agency, I gave them a swing at it before I did something on my own in case I came off as a douchebag....which has been known to happen when I deal with blatant stupidity.

They got it on there now, I feel good, the headlining band was very pleased that I informed them.

It is a sign that is not a frontage sign, so maybe they forget it is there....but the interstate is right there behind them and can be seen quite clearly. Those signs aren't cheap. I used to run one for a service center and I tinker from time to time at the car lots I work for. {censored}s money in the bank if you use it.

I can't stand owners that rely on the bands to bring everyone. We will probably have 300 people there, which is pretty good, but 400-500 would be easily attainable if the dancers that work for them put it as their facebook status "come see me at ****8 tonight for the ***** cd release show". I ramble, apologies.

• Members

Even worse--we showed up to a gig on Friday night to find that they actually had gone out of their way to RIP DOWN the posters we took the time to go there and hang the week before. It's {censored}ty place to play anyway, but that just sealed the deal--we won't be pursuing any more gigs there. I'd rather sit at home than play a place where live music is just an afterthought at best, inconvenience at worst.

• Members

Even worse--we showed up to a gig on Friday night to find that they actually had gone out of their way to RIP DOWN the posters we took the time to go there and hang the week before. It's {censored}ty place to play anyway, but that just sealed the deal--we won't be pursuing any more gigs there. I'd rather sit at home than play a place where live music is just an afterthought at best, inconvenience at worst.

Wow. That sucks. Are you sure it was the venue that tore them down? We've had a competing band tear down our stuff before.

• Members

Wow. That sucks. Are you sure it was the venue that tore them down? We've had a competing band tear down our stuff before.

Well, in fairness, I don't know for a fact, but when we hung them, they acted pretty off-put about it, and said we were only allowed to do three, then there were NO band posters anywhere when we showed up to play, leading me to believe someone went through and cleared the walls. Not just that, but there are a hundred other little things at this place that give it an overall lame vibe from a band standpoint.

If you or anyone else is trying to get a gig in King of Prussia, PA, PM me and I'll give you the heads up.

• Members

Played a new joint Friday nite that does not advertise, other than putting up posters inside. Has a nice changeable sign out front too. Won't advertise in the local entertainment rag either. As I have owned two tavern businesses in the past, I asked him about it. He says he's trying to stay under the radar from ASCAP. If he advertises in the paper, that will draw them like flies. The place only holds about 150 people and he has a good built in crowd. We have an email list of 350 people so.........

I tried to explain to him, that in a smaller place like that ASCAP fees wouldn't be that much (at least they weren't when I paid them) but maybe things have changed????

Anyhow, place was packed all nite long, we had a GREAT time and got asked back on the spot.

I sure wish ASCAP would spend their time fighting the online battle instead of putting the heat on independent tavern owners, but, that's another argument.

• Members

I tried to explain to him, that in a smaller place like that ASCAP fees wouldn't be that much (at least they weren't when I paid them) but maybe things have changed????

They're still very reasonable. Guys like that just do it because they don't want to pay out any money at all and/or are just lacking when it comes to the business acumen required.

• Members

If the venue books us and choose not to advertise that's their perrogative. Though if no one shows it would be an expensive mistake. We are getting paid our full garantee regardless.

We would probably not rebook a room that didn't advertise or promote no matter how the night turned out. It falls upon both parties to do their share of marketing. If the venue is relying on us to provide 100% the promotion and draw... well then, why do we need the venue?

• Members

Why are YOU handing out the flyers? That is the venues responsibility!! Unless they want to pay me for my time, they can take care of their own advertising. My position is that it is my bands job to play to our fullest talent-------it's the venues job to let people know we are there. If they don't want to advertise, oh well. As long as we are being paid a fair price, we don't worry or involve ourselves in how they run their business. Good bands and good talent WILL move forward. You'll eventually wind up in a venue that knows how to conduct business.

• Members

They're still very reasonable. Guys like that just do it because they don't want to pay out any money at all and/or are just lacking when it comes to the business acumen required.

I agree with you. Unfortunately, he's not the only one I know. I've tried to tell them that it isn't THAT big a deal but they've heard 'horror stories', and the 'well, I know someone who knows someone who knew someone who had a bar' tales.'

What I paid for ASCAP fees in my last 200 capacity joint was way less than what I paid a band for a nite.

Too bad...

• Members

Why are YOU handing out the flyers? That is the venues responsibility!! Unless they want to pay me for my time, they can take care of their own advertising. My position is that it is my bands job to play to our fullest talent-------it's the venues job to let people know we are there. If they don't want to advertise, oh well. As long as we are being paid a fair price, we don't worry or involve ourselves in how they run their business. Good bands and good talent WILL move forward. You'll eventually wind up in a venue that knows how to conduct business.

Disagree. I think it's on BOTH parties to advertise. The bar should be advertising their venue and that you will be there, you should be advertising your show - and where it will be.

• Members

The reality of today is that bands are expected to promote and develop their own following for the bulk of venues. Certainly a venue should promote themselves, but I think that's seperate and distinct from a bands responsability to promote themselves if they'd like to get more people at their shows and play better venues. The OP commented that they'll bring 300 to the show. If that's true, then the bands promotional efforts are great, and to be commended.

With respect to the OP's original question, I think it comes down to draw. If the venue has a great reputation and is packed every night, then I could care less if they advertise. If it's a spot where the only people there are people we bring...I'm never playing there again.

• Members

How about venues where I go take flyers by the week before, then on gig night I see that they never posted them? :facepalm:

Or the ones where the only advertising they do is a Facebook post about two hours before the band goes on. :facepalm:

Then they are like, "So, are you bringing any people out tonight??" :confused:

• Members

A venue promoting a local bands show here is extremely rare. It's usually a given that it's 100% up to the band. I have never once brought in a stack of flyers to a venue expecting THEM to hang'em up.

Although, most venues here are very good about getting their bookings in the entertainment section of the local paper.

There's also a free local paper that has a very up to sate entertainment section.

The only other exceptions would be major holiday shows, national acts with local openers.

I've been in few bands where bought our own radio adds for cd releases and such.

• Members
The reality of today is that bands are expected to promote and develop their own following for the bulk of venues.

That was the reality of 20-25 years ago, too. The most I ever saw a club do for a local band was put their name in their weekly newspaper ad.

• Members

How about venues where I go take flyers by the week before, then on gig night I see that they never posted them?
:facepalm:

Or the ones where the only advertising they do is a Facebook post about two hours before the band goes on.
:facepalm:

Then they are like, "So, are you bringing any people out tonight??"
:confused:

Sounds like a place we stopped playing. Our 1st gig went great, then the next 2, not so well. "We'll put you up on the sign out front, we advertise in the local paper and on the radio, and on facebook". Never had the name out there, never heard a radio spot or saw anything in the paper. FB post 2 days before we play. We get there and the 1st thing I'm asked is "are you bringing any people out tonight?". Well, there was some big St Patty's day thing where a lot of the people we expected to come out had gone, so we didn't have that many people, and then she ragged that the people we did bring weren't drinking enough. I apologized that our friends were responsible drinkers and don't spend 50 bucks each on Jaeger shots like her "good" band's crowd does. We cancelled the next date and won't go back. What's even better is her "good" band is now retooling and isn't playing there for who knows how long. She's constantly cancelling bands that don't immediately draw big crowds- there is no way to build up a following at the place because you get maybe 2 chances to pack the place and if you don't she bumps the band for someone else (that's how we got our 1st gig there). So eventually she'll run out of bands because there just aren't enough around that want to play there, and she doesn't have enough of a regular crowd to sustain her business.

Archived