Would you play, or skip it?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've started bringing all my keyboards to gigs. I set up my Nord Stage compact and S90ES in front of me, then to my left I have my Roland JX10 and on top of that my Emu MK6. To the right I have my Yamaha PSR vintage 1990's keyboard and Nord Electro 73. I run everything into a Peavey 24 channel mixing board, into a rack with 6 EQ's, 4 reverb units, 2 delays, 9 compressors, a 5 way crossover, and 3 CS800's, which runs into 2 custom made 3 way cabinets with 2 18"s, 2 15"s, 2 10"s, and a bank of 36 piezo horns in each. I also have 2 Leslie cabinets that I put offstage in a storage room or in the kitchen, or if it's a small gig, leave in my cube van and mic them up for organ sounds. I use 8 mics on each Leslie, and run them into their own 16 channel submixer and then take 4 sends from those into my main board. I've been toying around with the setup to find the most efficient way of setting them all up, and this is it. It only takes me 4 hours to set up since I have everything labelled. I try to use every keyboard on every song as best I can. People come up to me on my breaks and admire my setup and ask me questions and ask when I'm getting more keyboards and stuff, and I like that, it makes me feel important and like a rock star.

OMG, I just re-read your post instead of scanning it like I did the first time.

You are too freaking funny man. Hahahahaha.

• Members

Damn, I don't have any pics of my rig set-up on stage. (new computer) I did find an old pic before I added the Genz though. (unfortunately not on stage.) I don't stack as high on stage, I like to keep each head/cab separate.

webstack.jpg

What Genz Benz are you using. I have a Shuttlemax 12.0 which is two amps in one. You can set-up two different settings and switch between them. I still don't see how you could fit all that on a small stage. Last weekend the band I sub for played a gig where I barely had room for my GB shuttle 6.0/12t combo.

• Members

I've started bringing all my keyboards to gigs.....

I know a guy who owns five B3's, four Leslies, a bunch of M's, some Vox Continentals, a few Rhodes, a Wurly or two, and some kind of Yamaha and some amps to play them all thru. He always bring them all to karaoke. It takes him a while to set up for karaoke...for paying gigs he just brings a C harmonica and a bullet mic and plays thru the PA. Weird!

• Members

OMG, I just re-read your post instead of scanning it like I did the first time.

You are too freaking funny man. Hahahahaha.

It would be funny if this thread turned into the aristocrats joke.. I'll try:

Hey guys - I have an open mic night I play every once in a while. I cover "Beth" by Kiss, Ziggy Stardust by Bowie and "Candle in the wind" by Elton John. I try to be authentic when I do these songs so I'll do Beth I play a Guild acoustic in full makeup and I'll spit blood on the girl who always sings "Crazy" by Patsy Cline (where's she been lately?... When I do Ziggy Stardust I'll generally do my hair up and wear a man-leotard I knitted myself that I call a man-o-tard and I'll play it on a strat. Finally, for Candle in the wind I'll wear a goofy hat and glasses. OH!! I forgot! I also like to pick a random man from the audience and rape him.

Anyway, this wednesday night I can't get my Guild from back from my guitar tech and I really don't want to play it on my Takemine. Should I skip the gig?

Anyway, it's gone pretty

• Members

Hey guys - I have an open mic night I play every once in a while. I cover "Beth" by Kiss, Ziggy Stardust by Bowie and "Candle in the wind" by Elton John. I try to be authentic when I do these songs so I'll do Beth I play a Guild acoustic in full makeup and I'll spit blood on the girl who always sings "Crazy" by Patsy Cline (where's she been lately?... When I do Ziggy Stardust I'll generally do my hair up and wear a man-leotard I knitted myself that I call a man-o-tard and I'll play it on a strat. Finally, for Candle in the wind I'll wear a goofy hat and glasses. OH!! I forgot! I also like to pick a random man from the audience and rape him.

Anyway, this wednesday night I can't get my Guild from back from my guitar tech and I really don't want to play it on my Takemine. Should I skip the gig?

Anyway, it's gone pretty

Ok, I have to log out no cause people here at work are wondering why I'm laughing while staring at my computer screen. Things at work here are not supposed to be funny. BWAHAHAHAHHAHA.

• Members
I have a drummer that hits a bit hard and the single 12 won't quite cut it.

Well, what are you dragging that big assed PA around for.:lol: The nice thing about the shuttle combo is that it has a kickstand on the bottom that aims the speaker at your head. The PA should be doing all the heavy lifting.

• Members

Anyway, it's gone pretty

Okay, this was really good.

• Members

Holy crap, I just re-read your post. You use 8 mics on each Leslie? Have you tried an X-Y stereo set-up? I would think you could get by with 2 pair per cab.

I think a SM57 slightly off axis with a condensor mic to catch the room vibe might work better for him.

• Members

I think a SM57 slightly off axis with a condensor mic to catch the room vibe might work better for him.

Excellent idea! I do have a couple extra mics, I'll try setting them up for room ambience next time out. Hmm, I guess I better bring my other 24 channel board. I don't want to give up the 4 mics on each Leslie. I think another 4 mics for room ambience will work, 1 in each corner.

• Members

Excellent idea! I do have a couple extra mics, I'll try setting them up for room ambience next time out. Hmm, I guess I better bring my other 24 channel board. I don't want to give up the 4 mics on each Leslie. I think another 4 mics for room ambience will work, 1 in each corner.

What you should do then is bring a rack full of delays and set half the mics for a 10ms delay which will give you a much fuller sound

• Members

I also have 2 Leslie cabinets that I put offstage in a storage room or in the kitchen, or if it's a small gig, leave in my cube van and mic them up for organ sounds. I use 8 mics on each Leslie, and run them into their own 16 channel submixer and then take 4 sends from those into my main board.

You mic both your Leslies from the same cube van??? What kind of sound are you getting with that? You can use all the mics you want but seriously...until you start bringing a seperate van for each cab, there's no way you'll ever get the sound you're looking for.

• Members
Well, what are you dragging that big assed PA around for.
:lol:
The nice thing about the shuttle combo is that it has a kickstand on the bottom that aims the speaker at your head. The PA should be doing all the heavy lifting.

Part of the big-ass PA is I need 5 DI channels, and 5 mics. (I dual mic the PR-410, and run 1 DI clean, the others are post-pre on the heads) Also why the Yamaha board is so nice, I am able to set up scenes with various levels of each cab/DI level and change them song to song via a midi footswitch.)

• Moderators

I've started bringing all my keyboards to gigs. I set up my Nord Stage compact and S90ES in front of me, then to my left I have my Roland JX10 and on top of that my Emu MK6. To the right I have my Yamaha PSR vintage 1990's keyboard and Nord Electro 73. I run everything into a Peavey 24 channel mixing board, into a rack with 6 EQ's, 4 reverb units, 2 delays, 9 compressors, a 5 way crossover, and 3 CS800's, which runs into 2 custom made 3 way cabinets with 2 18"s, 2 15"s, 2 10"s, and a bank of 36 piezo horns in each. I also have 2 Leslie cabinets that I put offstage in a storage room or in the kitchen, or if it's a small gig, leave in my cube van and mic them up for organ sounds. I use 8 mics on each Leslie, and run them into their own 16 channel submixer and then take 4 sends from those into my main board. I've been toying around with the setup to find the most efficient way of setting them all up, and this is it. It only takes me 4 hours to set up since I have everything labelled. I try to use every keyboard on every song as best I can. People come up to me on my breaks and admire my setup and ask me questions and ask when I'm getting more keyboards and stuff, and I like that, it makes me feel important and like a rock star.

So... you have a total of 16 mics on your Leslies. That'a about right. Good use of your van too. My concern is your lack of compressors. With only 9... you'e running the risk of looking bush. You might consider just getting a few of those old Alesis compressors on eBay for 50 bucks each just to fill out your rig.

Archived