Would you play, or skip it?

• Members

Here's the deal:

A couple weeks ago, my car finally gave up the ghost so I junked it. Unfortunately, 6 of the 7 guitars I take with me were in the trunk. A friend who lives reasonably close was able to meet me at the yard but was unable to get my gear and the car's contents back to my place - it's all at her house across town.

I got my other car out of my mom's barn this past weekend and have gotten it running but it's in a shop right now because it's leaking coolant.

I'm not going to go into a lot of details or argue with anyone - you're just going to have to take my word for it that I work about 13 miles south of where I live and my friend lives about 17 miles NE of where I live and there is no way, time-wise, due to my work schedule, that I will be able to take a bus/train after work to her place to pick up my gear (keep in mind that her schedule factors into the equation too) and then take a bus/train back home, get cleaned up, and get to the bar, which I can walk to in about 10min or so. And I'm not inclined to carry 7 guitars, a flight case and my pedal board.

I have no problem carrying a single guitar in a hsc and my pedal board over there.

Unfortunately, all my pedal board settings for each song I play were created for a specific guitar, with a specific pickup configuration.

Here's my concern: I'm on the verge of of getting paid to do the guitaraoke thing. I've been re-creating all the lyrics files and polishing them up, adding intro and outro screens, essentially making them look more "professional". I'm not afraid to "wing it" with a single guitar, even my MK Patriot Glory which I'm still not used to playing. What I'm worried about is muffing it enough to turn off new-comers (and there ALWAYS are) to the Guitaraoke concept.

For me, it's all about having fun and getting to play above "apartment complex" volumes but if I'm going to start getting paid I'm thinking I have to start looking at it a little differently and maybe not scare people off just because I want to play, regardless of the possible train wreck.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm not really sure what your question is: are you saying you really need the extra gear to make the show go off right, and since it's not easily accessible, you fear having to wing the gig with less than you're comfortable with?

I'd ask what your priorities are:

Do you want to make the gig work and give the best impression possible?

Then figure out a way to get the gear. Period.

If your work and rest of life schedule/commitments makes it virtually impossible to figure out some way to make a 30 mile trip each way to get said gear, I would suspect that playing gigs out shouldn't be a priority in your life in the first place.

• Members

If your work and rest of life schedule/commitments makes it virtually impossible to figure out some way to make a 30 mile trip each way to get said gear, I would suspect that playing gigs out shouldn't be a priority in your life in the first place.

Agreed. I think you need to reprioritize your life here bud. You need to sell your gear and focus on getting a dependable beater to get you back and forth to work.

• Members

I'm not a guitar player, but how will having extra guitars prevent you from the "muffs" you seem to fear?

Were you really planning on switching between seven different guitars... and why? If it was for "tone" well I doubt anyone at a Guitaraoke performance is going to give a damn...

One or two guitars and a dependable car seems like a good option at this point.

As for whether you should play this particular gig, who knows? It seems like a personal decision.

• Members

Agreed. I think you need to reprioritize your life here bud. You need to sell your gear and focus on getting a dependable beater to get you back and forth to work.

I thnk you guys are missing the point - maybe that's my fault for not being a little more specific: It's just this weekend. The car is in the shop. I have the $$$ needed for repairs. I simply won't have a car THIS weekend.

• Members

I think you're sweating the "specific pickup configuration" thing too much. If all this is is "I'm worried I can do the gig right because I won't have the right pickups and therefore the right tone for each song", then you're sweating the small stuff way too much.

Like someone else said, this is just Guitaraoke. NOBODY cares about your tone except you.

• Members

I'm not a guitar player, but how will having extra guitars prevent you from the "muffs" you seem to fear?

Were you really planning on switching between seven different guitars... and why? If it was for "tone" well I doubt anyone at a Guitaraoke performance is going to give a damn...

My newer guitar, the aforementioned MK Patriot Glory has a scroll work design in the middle of the fretboard - there are no dots, bars, blocks, etc. I am used to using the fretboard markers, not the side dots, for reference. I use the MK on some songs, but not all. I am simply not used to using the side dots all the time and every song. I have a dozen other guitars I could take but I WANT to take the MK because it's so damn sweet.

And yes, I switch between all 7 seven guitars. Why would I haul them over there if I wasn't going to play them? And yes, tone is the major factor besides that fact that I like playing them all. And after 4 years, people EXPECT me to bring multiple guitars - I get asked all time if I have any new ones. It's part of the "show". Also, some have Floyds, some have hard tails, some have standard trems, one is locked into 1/2 step down tuning, another is a hollow body for songs that have both acoustic and electric/distortion parts, etc.

• Members

I think you're sweating the "specific pickup configuration" thing too much. If all this is is "I'm worried I can do the gig right because I won't have the right pickups and therefore the right tone for each song", then you're sweating the small stuff way too much.

I'm mostly worried about volume with songs that have clean and distortion of which I have several. Different pickups make a big difference in that respect. How fast can I adjust on-the-fly? I don't know because I've never had to do it.

• Members

I'm mostly worried about volume with songs that have clean and distortion of which I have several. Different pickups make a big difference in that respect. How fast can I adjust on-the-fly? I don't know because I've never had to do it.

Our bandleader would fire any guitar player that showed up with 7 guitars lol. there would be no room on the stage.

• Members

Oooops, just re-read the post. Your guitars are safely at your friend's house. Ok got it. Never mind..hahaha.

Just do the gig with the MK.

If I played a gig with a guitar player who brought 7 guitars intending to play them all thoughout the night, oh never mind.

• Members

Just do the gig with the guitar you have. If any one asks, tell 'em the story. They'll understand. And it will be a good opportunity for you to learn to adjust on-the-fly.

Gigging is ALL ABOUT figuring out how to make-do when everything isn't perfect. I've had keyboards go down that I've had dozens of important and very distinct patches on. So I've had to make-do with whatever-gear-I had. Did it hate doing it? Yes. Did the sound suffer as a result? Yes. Did the crowd care? No.

"The Show Must Go On". Just do it and have a great story to tell next week.

• Members

Just do the gig with the guitar you have. If any one asks, tell 'em the story. They'll understand. And it will be a good opportunity for you to learn to adjust on-the-fly.

Gigging is ALL ABOUT figuring out how to make-do when everything isn't perfect. I've had keyboards go down that I've had dozens of important and very distinct patches on. So I've had to make-do with whatever-gear-I had. Did it hate doing it? Yes. Did the sound suffer as a result? Yes. Did the crowd care? No.

"The Show Must Go On". Just do it and have a great story to tell next week.

This

• Members

How much time does your band have between songs so you can switch guitars? Switching between 7 guitars at a gig seems a bit narcissistic and I really doubt your fans can tell the difference. I'd sell a few guitars and buy a dependable car to get you to and from work. That way you can earn the money for more guitars.

• Members

How much time does your band have between songs so you can switch guitars? Switching between 7 guitars at a gig seems a bit narcissistic and I really doubt your fans can tell the difference.
I'd sell a few guitars
and buy a dependable car to get you to and from work. That way you can earn the money for more guitars.

Have you seen his guitars he owns about 20. The problem is they are all pawn shop specials and the whole lot is worth a couple grand.

• Members

I personally won't cancel a gig for any reason other than it being 100% impossible for me to play it. If I have a bar or private group counting on me to show up I'll be there if it's humanly possible. I cancelled one show in the last five years and it was because I was so sick that I couldn't speak. At all. Otherwise the gig is a lot more important than whatever gear I can bring to it.

• Members

you have 7 guitars, need them all to play a gig, but need to see the dots to play? Something not adding up for me here...

Agreed. I have never seen someone play who felt it necessary to bring 7 guitars to a gig that wasn't a national touring act with a guitar tech.

Make life easy, 2 guitars a gig. 1 primary and 1 backup. Get some more effects if you need to.

If I was a club owner, and someone showed up with 7 guitars, and then proceeded to use every single one, I would not have them back. Club owners and patrons arent paying to watch musical guitars all night.

Keeping 7 guitars tuned sounds like a nightmare, let alone keeping them all in working order on any kind of budget.

• Members

you have 7 guitars, need them all to play a gig, but need to see the dots to play? Something not adding up for me here...

What needs to add up? Guitars have fret markers. On the fretboard or the side of the neck. Maybe both. Maybe neithe. I am used to referring to the fretboard for reference, not the side dots. My MK doesn't have fretboard markers therefore I need to adjust 27yrs of habit when playing this guitar.

• Members

Look, I don't want to sound like a dick but has it occured to all of you "get reliable transportation" people that the car is in the shop for repair to make it reliable rather than continuing to drive it with a serios coolant leak thereby ensuring it's "permanent" unreliability?

• Members

Your guitar has a volume knob, most players hardly touch it. I love mine, get used to working it during your performance. You can fix any patch volume issues quickly. You can even turn high-gain distortion into almost clean sounds without a pedal by simply lowering the volume and adjusting your pick attack.

• Members

Yeah, if you can't do a gig, SOME kind of gig without 7 guitars and programming there's something wrong. Some people would say that if you can't play your songs on an acoustic then they're not good songs. To the OP: Lighten your load and tighten up your act. BTW and no offense is a Mike Kelly guitar all that?!? The MK bass that a friend had was a Korean entry to mid-level bass with a lot of pretty inlays...