Dance Floor In Front of the Band?

• Members

With all the emphasis on dance music and keeping the crowd up and moving, have any of you started putting up lighting on the "in-front-of-the-band" section of the dance floor? Maybe making that section "cooler" to dance in than just dancing by their seats. Bands typically light themselves up but I've never seen a band create a little "Dance Club" for the patrons.

Is this a good idea? What would be a good way to approach this?

• Members

I always put my moonflower (kind of a mirror ball effect) pointing toward the dance floor. It is especially cool during slow ballads.

I also have a bubble machine that is great for outdoor gigs, but I learned not to use it indoors when people started slipping on the soap residue.

I used to point the strobe lights at the dance floor, but club owners/managers told me people complained of headaches and seizures, so now I just point the strobes at the band. Who cares if we have headaches or seizures?

• Members

A dance floor softly lit with three or four moving colored lights? :thu: A dance floor so well lit that I could perform surgery? :facepalm:

Strobe lights are hideous no matter which direction they're pointing.

And even though this wasn't part of the question, a little bit of that smoke/fog stuff goes a long way, especially for those of us who want to take photos or video! :rolleyes:

• Members

I recently purchased two Chauvet Intimidator spot 250's. We put one on each main stack, and some songs I will spin them around on the dance floor (useing a midi foot controller) It gives a cool water effect. One night I remember a drunk guy "swiming" across the floor! funny {censored} right there:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

One other thing I think helps alot (but what do I know)

is to have the light in the room you are playing dimmed as much as possible (with in reason).

It will make people less self conscious about dancing and make it seem "cooler" for whatever reason. It also makes your lights work better.

nothings worse than playing a daylight lit room

imo

• Members

Sounds like a good plan...

Differen't situations for us, but lighting has been a big part of the band for a few years now. All of it is front and backlighting on the band. Whatever bleeds into the crowd is enough to illuminate the first couple rows of people. There really is a dance floor per say as we're usually playing with people in front facing the band. Not that they aren't dancing... they are dancing more to the band than with each other.

Archived