Deep Purple was a blues band! Who knew?!?

New Trail

• Members

I just saw them Sunday in Bethel, NY. Hadn't seen them since 99' with Dream Theater and ELP. WOW :eek: did they look old... especially Gillian. It didn't help that he cut off all his hair, let it grey out and dressed like a school custodian.

Show was so-so.

• Members

I just saw them Sunday in Bethel, NY. Hadn't seen them since 99' with Dream Theater and ELP. WOW
:eek:
did they look old... especially Gillian. It didn't help that he cut off all his hair, let it grey out and dressed like a school custodian.

Show was so-so.

Sad as it is, I think we might have finally reached the point where a lot of these 60s pioneers are just too {censored}ing old.

I was recently commenting about something similar in The Music Biz forum about the Buffalo Springfield reunion. These guys just look and sound like a bunch of old men. Virtually unrecoganizable---both physically AND musically--as their former selves. It's like the only thing they have left to offer is the fact that they aren't dead yet.

Sad, and a bit scary at the same time.

• Members

Sad as it is, I think we might have finally reached the point where a lot of these 60s pioneers are just too {censored}ing old.

I was recently commenting about something similar in The Music Biz forum about the Buffalo Springfield reunion. These guys just look and sound like a bunch of old men. Virtually unrecoganizable---both physically AND musically--as their former selves. It's like the only thing they have left to offer is the fact that they aren't dead yet.

Yeah... get in those concerts while you can. It will probably be the last time I see DP in concert again. I'm sure someone will die soon. Time has not been kind to them. Next month is Yes and Styx nd I'm sure both are shells of their former selves... depending on which line up you see. Shame to see these guys get so old. Two years ago I saw Phillip Bailey and a lineup that called themselves EWF... they were outstanding retooled with younger players. In contrast Chicago followed with the same line up of the last 20 years and I though they were going to have to medi-flight Bill Champlin... the guy sounded like a heart attack :eek:

Last year I saw Forigner for the first time with only Mick Jones in the lineup... at first he came out with his grey hair, flannel shirt, and stiff arthritic stride and I was like "Who the f**k is that old guy... Christ it's Mick Jones!" A few minutes in, he loosened up and still had the 'arena' moves. By the third song I forgot I was watching someone 68 years old on stage... I was looking at a great guitarist with decades of stage experience. :thu:

• Members

When I saw them recently Gillian did NOT sound good at all. Steve Morse was playing guitar and he's always good but the show was very disappointing overall. Whitesnake, AC/DC, and Heaven and Hell have all been great though so I think it just depends on the group.

• Members

You're about to turn 50. How much longer can you hang onto your gig? How will you know when it's time to hang up your R&R shoes? Will you have the smarts to retool and find a circuit that's old guy friendly? Does one even exist?

I wonder if any of the older guys on this forum feels like they've already gone through this transformation.

• Members

You're about to turn 50. How much longer can you hang onto your gig? How will you know when it's time to hang up your R&R shoes? Will you have the smarts to retool and find a circuit that's old guy friendly? Does one even exist?

I wonder if any of the older guys on this forum feels like they've already gone through this transformation.

I don't fault these guys for wanting to keep going out there and doing it for as long as they can, it's just that some are now reaching the point where their age is really beginning to take it's toll. For years it was "wow, I can't believe how GREAT those guys still sound at that age!" and has flipped over into WTF?? territory.

I figure that if I really wanted to I could keep doing what I'm doing right now for another 10-15 years. Have to keep putting some younger people up front and me further in the back, but as the keyboard player for this band, I could see me doing it until 65 no problem. Will I still want to do THIS for that long? I dunno. The way we're doing it right now is pretty physically demanding with road trips, lots of gear, etc. I'll probably want to just find a little jazz trio or something to chill with when I get old.

• Members

I don't fault these guys for wanting to keep going out there and doing it for as long as they can, it's just that some are now reaching the point where their age is really beginning to take it's toll. For years it was "wow, I can't believe how GREAT those guys still sound at that age!" and has flipped over into WTF?? territory.

I figure that if I really wanted to I could keep doing what I'm doing right now for another 10-15 years. Have to keep putting some younger people up front and me further in the back, but as the keyboard player for this band, I could see me doing it until 65 no problem. Will I still want to do THIS for that long? I dunno. The way we're doing it right now is pretty physically demanding with road trips, lots of gear, etc. I'll probably want to just find a little jazz trio or something to chill with when I get old.

You know... the issue I've had in these instances is really presentation. You see the Stones in concert and it's damn... they are the Stones. In the case of the bands above, they are just collecting a paycheck. I respect staying true to your age... if that is their MO. I don't believe it is. I didn't pay to see Gillan sing these songs... I paid to watch him perform them. He barely moved... no interaction with the audience. Went from one song to the next. I could have been watching a coverband. They just seemed to ge going through their setlist in order. They did have an orchestra with them so manybe that lent to their stiffness.

As I said with Forgiener... appearance aside (he could still darken his hair and wear a black shirt... when I saw him he looked like he was going to Wal Mart to shop.) he let the audience know in less than three songs that he was there to put on a show. Age was less a distraction when he moved around a little.

I mean christ! Doug Pinnick from King's X is 60!!!! :eek: Look at this freakin guy!

120716.jpg

I'm not even a big King's X fan but that guy comes to perform.

• Members

I'm a Deep Purple fan but I'm not a fan of crippled animals. Maybe it's time for them to quit touring and focus on 3 or 4 shows a year where they can really just give it their all... and that might be asking a bit much.

• Members

I mean christ! Doug Pinnick from King's X is 60!!!!
Look at this freakin guy!

120716.jpg

Doug is 60?!?! Wow, I have really lost track of time. Speaking of a band that has worked their asses off, Kings X is THE best band that nobody has ever heard of :(

• Members

I mean christ! Doug Pinnick from King's X is 60!!!!
Look at this freakin guy!

120716.jpg

Well, to be fair, there IS a bit of a outside-the-band lifestyle-related reason Dug keeps himself looking fit & trim that can't be entirely dismissed either.

• Members

I went to playing in an all blues band. Blues music is much more old age friendly. Same with jazz. Also, there are a few originals that can still bring it; Paul McCartney being one. But alas it's true, the older you get, the more difficult it becomes. As far as where to gig, festivals and such still are my preferred venues. I'll be doing four blues festivals in the next three months, including the infamous Monterey Blues Festival

• Members

I'm 53, and made the transition years ago. I can't remember the last time I brought an electric guitar to a gig, or the last time I stood up when playing. And I'm in pretty good shape and probably look younger than I am. It's a matter of the style of music I play, and what I can get away with. I can make way more money playing a nylon string guitar sitting down than playing an electric. That's been true for me for about 20 years. A turning point for me was turning down a fesitival rock gig to play a wedding reception solo. 100. vs. 500.00

I caught heat from the band, even from a few fans of the band, one guy chastising me for taking the easy way. I explained that playing the same old music with the band was the easy way, and playing new stuff solo was in fact the challenge. I left that band soon after. I just recently had my boogie amp fixed after letting it sit for years. I plugged it in and loved playing my

guitars through it. But as far as looking for a gig to haul that thing to, I'm not too interested. I'd rather rock up with my nylon and a lighter amp, and make twice the money.

The guys I play with now also do other gigs, one guy still touring with a rock band, but I think he sees the end of that in his future. He has mentioned to me on more than one occasion that he thinks we can do the music we do until were in our 70's....................we will see.

Archived