Anyone ever been in a band that quit on the band leader en masse?

• Members

Our band formed from the wreckage of a former band...let me explain. My wife and I were in a popular local band in the 90's. When we joined, that band was on it's last leg and there was an argument between the band leader and the guitarist that was a result of how to pay the guitarists wife (not a band member) for her assistance on a NYE gig. In short she learned the lyrics to about 20 songs because the usual lead singer wasn't able to make the gig. The band leader asked the guitarist's wife what she wanted to be paid and she downplayed it with something like..."whatever you think is fair is good with me". Anyway, he paid her 1/2 share instead of a full share...it pissed of the guitarist...drama ensued and the band eventually broke up. My wife and I joined forces with this guitarist and his wife to start what has become our current band. However, the guitarist wanted to be a full-time muso and quit his job...he wanted to manage our band but as it turned out, he was much more of a planner than a doer. My wife and I are "do-ers". We got the gigs, made the website and pushed to get us out of the basement. We started butting heads and it all went "toxic" on a NYE gig when the guitarist got really mad about the music my wife was playing on break. He wanted more classic rock and she said.."fine...tell me what you want to hear" and he he never got specific. Anyway...a post gig argument ensued and my wife and I said we were going to leave the band and take the name as we purchased the internet domain and signage (in hind sight, I wish we abandoned the name...we really dislike the name but had begun to get some traction with clubs and didn't want to loose the progress). Anyway...the other bandmates said..."If you guys quit...we are quitting too and would love to join forces". So essentially...we all quit...hired a new guitarist and carried on for the past 10 years.

Later we patched it up with the old guitarist who had since divorced his wife (lots more stories about her..sheez) and, I guess, had come to terms with his own limitations as a manager. He filled in on bass for us and I ran sound for his band a few times. The reason I mention this is that I am so glad this relationship was repaired as he died unexpectedly about a year ago. I would have regretted deeply having him go to his grave with unresolved bad feelings.

Pardon my rambling...in one of those moods today.....

• Members

That is kind of how I got my drummer. His band all left the leader but over the period of a couple weeks. The leader's father bought the sound system and the leader spent the next two years deducting it from each persons take. He used to let the guys keep $10 to $20 a gig. The night Ed filled in with us (our drummer hurt his leg playing soccer) he made $250 for a 90 minute gig with no rehearsal. When Ed did the math he realized that the leader had pocketed over $20,000 for the $3000 rig. Once the rest of the band found out, they were out the door. That was 1984 and Ed has been with us since.

• Members

Well not that we're chicken to fire him, he's the founder of this band and owns most of the PA

Up until a few months ago even though he's been an arrogant prick since I joined he had kept us busy

and seemed to care about the band and moving forward. But now he frequently gets stupid drunk at gigs

and at a recent one passed out drunk in the restroom after the first set...leaving us to finish the night covering

all the singing ourselves.

Besides the drinking, he's really cut back on our bookings. He originally told us he just needed a couple weekend nights a month to make his new sweetie happy and spend time with his kid, sounds reasonable. But 2nights a month has turned into 3...then 4. Plus a whole other list of more minor douchebagginess

But what really turned his whole band against him is the fact we had gigs this weekend, and last saturday night he informs us that he's going off to Florida to sing with a tribute band he hooks up with on occasion and wont be making our gigs, thereby pissing off two more of our regular club owners

So we decided to do last nights gig ourselves after the owner agreed to let us and we were sucessful...numerous compliments with the general one being we do just fine without our "leader"

The owner pulled us aside last night and said she wants us back, but not with "him"..and the manager from the place where the passed-out-drunk-in-stall incident was there and said the same thing for her club

Dude's burning bridges all over the place...gonna get real interesting real soon

• Members

That is kind of how I got my drummer. His band all left the leader but over the period of a couple weeks. The leader's father bought the sound system and the leader spent the next two years deducting it from each persons take. He used to let the guys keep $10 to $20 a gig. The night Ed filled in with us (our drummer hurt his leg playing soccer) he made $250 for a 90 minute gig with no rehearsal. When Ed did the math he realized that the leader had pocketed over $20,000 for the $3000 rig. Once the rest of the band found out, they were out the door. That was 1984 and Ed has been with us since.

Damn...what a crook

• Members

Well not that we're chicken to fire him, he's the founder of this band and owns most of the PA

Up until a few months ago even though he's been an arrogant prick since I joined he had kept us busy

and seemed to care about the band and moving forward. But now he frequently gets stupid drunk at gigs

and at a recent one passed out drunk in the restroom after the first set...leaving us to finish the night covering

Besides the drinking, he's really cut back on our bookings. He originally told us he just needed a couple weekend

nights a month to make his new sweetie happy and spend time with his kid, sounds reasonable. But 2 nights a month

has turned into 3...then 4. Plus a whole other list of more minor douchebagginess

But what really turned his whole band against him is the fact we had gigs this weekend, and last saturday night he informs

us that he's going off to Florida to sing with a tribute band he hooks up with on occasion and wont be making our gigs, thereby pissing off two more of our regular club owners

So we decided to do last nights gig ourselves after the owner agreed to let us and we were sucessful...numerous compliments with the general one being we do just fine without our "leader"

The owner pulled us aside last night and said she wants us back, but not with "him"..and the manager from the place where the passed-out-drunk-in-stall incident was there and said the same thing for her club

Dude's burning bridges all over the place...gonna get real interesting real soon

Sounds like the same kind of guy I had the misfortune of playing with. Actually, a couple of them! I remember having a conversation with a bar owner that called the cops on one of my bands (late 90s). The singer and other guitarist got into a drunken argument with people in the crowd, taunting them over the microphone and practically inciting a riot. I apologized profusely to her for the singer and other guitarist's drunken behavior. She said I was welcome to play her bar anytime whenever I got another band together, but not with *those* guys. I was so embarassed about the whole thing I have yet to take her up on it. I don't want her to remember me in association with those jokers.

I have left bands where the band collapsed shortly afterwards due to the tyrannical band leaders. I'm thinking I probably just saw the writing on the wall a little sooner than some of the others. But I haven't really left a group along with everyone else at the same time. That would be an interesting situation.

The thing I like about my band now is the mutual respect we all have for each other. We all pitch in with setting up equipment, getting gigs, deciding on songs. We have band meetings. We took band photos. It's working the way I always thought a band *should* work.

• Members

The thing I like about my band now is the mutual respect we all have for each other. We all pitch in with setting up equipment, getting gigs, deciding on songs. We have band meetings. We took band photos. It's working the way I always thought a band *should* work.

And that's the way it should be, no wacked-out egos or delusions of grandeur

• Members

Besides the drinking, he's really cut back on our bookings. He originally told us he just needed a couple weekend

nights a month to make his new sweetie happy and spend time with his kid, sounds reasonable. But 2 nights a month

has turned into 3...then 4. Plus a whole other list of more minor douchebagginess

But what really turned his whole band against him is the fact we had gigs this weekend, and last saturday night he informs

us that he's going off to Florida to sing with a tribute band he hooks up with on occasion and wont be making our gigs, thereby pissing off two more of our regular club owners

In this case, he doesn't sound like much of a "leader". I think you'd be firing a loser bandmember as opposed to quitting en masse on the leader.

You guys have got an in for two gigs. I say lose him, replace him, and work on booking yourselves without his assistance.

• Members

Apparently this is more common than I would have thought. Our bandleader was a drummer that nearly never practiced with the band. He did have another drummer handling practices. He then told us that he would be playing drums on our first job. One of the other musicians didn't want to change drummers from rehearsal. Geno then said he was a good drummer and turned to me to acknowledge it. Big mistake on his part. I told him that he was the worst drummer I had ever worked with. (True.) Guess he technically fired all of us. Maybe we all walked out on him. Anyway, he was gone and we went on to play the gig without him.

• Members

Been there a couple times, different dynamics.. First band (in the 70's) band "Leader" was so full of braggadocio and apt to talk down to the rest of us, we just left him after we finished a week long engagement. He was 600 miles from home. We took his equipment and dumped it with his family. Second time was a domino effect - I got tired of the "Leader" and his habit of stepping on other people's vocals with his mic turned up and singing flat. I quit, and when the drummer and bass player found out they quit too. The 3 of us were gigging together as a trio two weeks later. Both of these guys acted mortally wounded and weren't able to recover and have a real band again. Not sure what all that could mean, but it seems as tho these guys were being carried along as excess baggage anyway before we quit.

• Members

Our band left the leader behind this past year (as he owned the name). Because of:

1) Lying

2) Not paying video guy for services rendered.

3) Didn't pay hotel bill for our stay at a gig.

4) Major hypocrite. (Super religious and screwed other people ALL the time)

5) Would tell the audience OVER THE MICROPHONE how he messed up and forgot the words.

6) Would postdate gig checks to band members for one week after the gig. Found out he was using our gig money to pay his bills until he caught up. :facepalm:

7) The final straw.....for a NYE gig, he took $900 for himself and paid the band members each $200. We didn't know he was taking that much when we played the gig.

His girlfriend (who he left and went back to no less than 4 times) called our key player in secret to find out if the singer was normally a selfish person. She finally dumped him. The 3rd time he left her was because "she didn't believe one could get to heaven on faith alone".

We've never been happier without him. :thu:

• Members

I ran into someone yesterday who was the leader of your average bar band and everyone quit on him. His version of the story yesterday of course was he fired all of them. Too much drama he said. He told me all of this after he told me how disappointing it was to see my band doesn't have all top of the line gear like he claims to have. Yeah he's "that kind of guy."

• Members

The 3rd time he left her was because "she didn't believe one could get to
heaven
on faith alone".

It is amazing how many Protestants take this belief and utilize it to screw everybody else. I know of dozens of these idiots that profess this incredible faith then turn around and lie, cheat, steal and even murder their way through life. All while "keeping the faith".

Congrats on dumping him.

• Members

I ran into someone yesterday who was the leader of your average bar band and everyone quit on him. His version of the story yesterday of course was he fired all of them. Too much drama he said. He told me all of this after he told me how disappointing it was to see my band doesn't have all top of the line gear like he claims to have. Yeah he's "that kind of guy."

I'm sure when this all plays out he'll go telling everyone that he fired us.

We also wonder if he's really looking for a way out, he's always used the gig as a vehicle to hook up with women...

nothing wrong with that as I've done it myself, but he since has met "the one" he isn't interested in the groupies

anymore, and his girlfriend cant come to gigs much due to being on call a lot(nurse), so I'm wondering if he just

wants to be with her on most weekends rather than play music. He has a good paying day job so he doesn't really

need gig money like the rest of us.

If that's the case he needs to just tell us rather than doing things to sabotage the very band he created.

• Members

If that's the case he needs to just tell us rather than doing things to sabotage the very band he created.

call him on it. We try to be very open about these things in my band. If you want to go... go. No hard feelings, just help us find a replacement.

Just read your other posts... You guys really need to sit down and tell him enough is enough or if you feel it is passed that...(which it seems to be) fire his ass! That may mean putting the band on hiatus but right now it may be wroth it to retool and come back out in a few months BETTER than EVER!

• Members

That may mean putting the band on hiatus but right now it may be wroth it to retool and come back out in a few months BETTER than EVER!

I don't think it would take long, we're already capable of gigs without him..we only had 6 days to prepare for the one we did friday and never even rehearsed, we just need to work up a few more songs.

We also need to accuire our own PA gear, mainly amps and speakers, I own the mixer and one of the guitar players has processing gear. but we can rent/borrow as needed until we get going

• Members

I don't think it would take long, we're already capable of gigs without him..we only had 6 days to prepare for the one we did friday and never even rehearsed, we just need to work up a few more songs.

We also need to accuire our own PA gear, mainly amps and speakers, I own the mixer and one of the guitar players has processing gear. but we can rent/borrow as needed until we get going

do it! life is too short to waste time on people who act like dicks.

• Moderators

As in no one left but the leader, I would love to hear about it

It kind of happened to me last fall. The second guitar player got super busy with producing records and working on his own stuff and just didn't have time to play with me, while at the same time my drummer and bass player of three years decided they wanted to focus on different stuff musically. So no drama, really, just one of those things. We're still all close friends.

Anyhow it left me bandless. I switched from guitar to bass, recruited a buddy to play guitar and do backing vocals, and found a drummer through craigslist. Now we're a trio and playing out again.

• Members

1986 we had a talented 2nd guitar player who was an awesome lead singer with a Steve Perry voice. After many months of putting up with his ego, his nitpicking attitude that he was always right, and his insistence on having his always stoned brother run sound and be our equipment manager (which included a rollover accident with our shared P.A.) we had a meeting of the band to discuss our options. It was first suggested that we take him out to the Everglades and feed him to the alligators but after the well deserved laughter died down we decided to fire him. We met with him the next day and he couldn't believe it. He whimpered, cried, and begged. We all felt terrible but none of us budged. We paid him over the next few months to buy him out while we kept working since we had two other former lead singers in the band on drums and bass. We eventually found a beautiful female front who had a recent billboard hit. A year later she left us after the ongoing drama of an affair with a married bandmember.

• Members

We were on the road in the 80s and one of the two guitarists in the band had co-written some songs with a singer and the record started getting airplay. We decided to just take our band and back the singer for the promotional tour. Shortly into the tour the singer turned out to be a real douche bag and was causing a lot of friction in our normally easy going band. After a gig, weeks into the tour, we just loaded up the U Haul and left the singer behind. End of tour. Life's too short to be doing what you love and have someone ruin it the way he was. It was either kill him and go to jail or go back to what we were doing before. So we went back to what was working before.

• Members

Yep:

Worked with a guy for half a year putting a start-up originals band and dealt with him being an absolute flake the whole time.

We had the gear set up at his loft studio and that's where we'd rehearse...after the third or fourth time of showing up to a previously scheduled rehearsal and him not being there, it was just about enough. Add onto it that he'd clearly been letting his studio clients use my kit (set up in the main living area, not in his semi-isolated drum room), and I was done. Both guitarists, who'd written all the music, came to me and said "We're through, and we want you to come with us". Bass player was done as well, but decided he'd had enough of playing in bands and went to get his EMT certification.

The guitarists and I worked on material for about 2 years, looking for the right singer...Eventually decided we could handle vocals ourselves, tracked half a dozen songs with one of the guitarists singing, less than 5 months later we were regularly gigging and getting good shows, etc.

That band lasted another couple years, and was one of the most musically gratifying experiences I've ever had.

• Members

It is amazing how many Protestants take this belief and utilize it to screw everybody else. I know of dozens of these idiots that profess this incredible faith then turn around and lie, cheat, steal and even murder their way through life. All while "keeping the faith".

Congrats on dumping him.

Thanks! Our bass player and current singer are pretty religious, but they don't shove it down the rest of our throats and they act the way Christians should act. It's usually the SUPER religious, outspoken ones that are the problems.

• Members

Yup, once. Well, sort of, the band hadn't even formed LOL

To make a long story short, I answered an ad years ago, and talked to the dude on the phone, and he seemed pretty cool, and it seemed like a worthwhile opportunity, so I met up with him. It was at his apartment, and the other guys that had responded were also there, and this was our first time all getting together and or meeting one another.

So once we're all introduced and done making small talk, this guy changes COMPLETELY. From a total laid back regular normal person to a sit-com version of a nerdy, effeminite, control-freak. All of the sudden he's like "Ok people, let's all sit at the table. You sit here, you here you here, etc. and then hands us all sheets of paper with his "rules" on them, then without saying anything about it, says "OK, here's the deal..." and procedes to outline his plans for world domination without pausing for breath or even bothering to get any input from us...he was literally telling us matter of factly, almost like he was a kindergarten teacher and we were all 5, what songs we would be playing, what gear we would be using, how we would behave on stage, what venues we would be playing, how we would dress on stage...It was unlike anything I've ever experienced...he literally kept going on like this for at least 15 minutes, then said he had to (and I quote) "drop the kids off at the pool" and would be right back and "we" would discuss everything some more. As soon as he went to the bathroom, it was hilarious, we all just looked at each other, completely stunned. We made some small talk like "is this guy {censored}ing kidding?" and we pretty much simultaneously decided it was was time to go. Litearlly though, the best part was though, that one of the dudes took out a pen and turned over his "rule" sheet and wrote "sorry dude this just isn't for us, good luck!" and we all just got up and left without saying a word to him!!! We all met out in the parking lot and kept talking for a bit and agreed to stay in touch and get together again as a group with someone else filling his place, and it actually worked out well for a little bit, but it was hilarious because when we got home we all had these stark raving mad lunatic messages on our machines about how "unprofessional we all were, how he was going to "blacklist" us with all other musos AND venues in the area and that we were missing out on the greatest musical opportunity ever. Absolutely hilarious, like I said, it was literally like something out of a movie or a sit-com!!!

Archived