Your Inspirations

• Members

This DVD of SRV live at the El Mocambo is the reason I picked up a guitar. Absolutely one of the single most amazing guitar performances I've ever seen. It really puts you in your place. I may think I'm pretty good from time to time and then a true master like this just takes a dump on 99% of guitar players by tearing something like this off. This is both inspiring and a crushing blow at the same time. It's so good it makes me laugh.

tWLw7nozO_U

What are some of your idols/inspirations for getting involved in music? Post videos! :thu:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

[video=youtube;wqjK-0A2yFM]

Was cleaning my room in 77 or so and heard this, and the sky opened up. It changed my world. It was the most intense, {censored} I had ever heard. I remember stopping what I was doing and listening to that song like 5 times in a row, and just getting CRAZY with the emotions in each section.....thrilling....exhilarating....and I looked at my guitar, which I could barely play at the time, and knew what I had to do with my life.

So the next day, I went to the store and bought the only other album out they had, and this tune just KILLED me.....

[video=youtube;XX-A4HvoGu8]

And then a year later, my idea of what music was all about changed forever when I saw the truth of B.B. King. 1 note, and your crying. His hands had a pipeline to your soul. Any one who has seen him live in his prime can attest. Pure emotional power in every note, sang or played. BAM! Life changed again: Go to 1:29 in this vid.....{censored} anyone who tries to tell me that all guitar solos are gratuitous wanking. Chill bump deeluxe.

[video=youtube;LWLAAzOBoBI]

And those 2 artists are the ground work for everything I have ever done in music.

• Members

Anything by Maiden made me want to sing! Back in Brasil in the early 90's if you could sing like Bruce you were a God!!! I was so much into it that when Maiden had a search for a Bruce replacement, me and Andre Matos (Angra fame) flew to England sponsored by a radio station to audition for the band! Talk about a dream come true!

[video=youtube;SwB9zg7Tbx8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwB9zg7Tbx8

Rod

• Moderators

I host the Friday Inspirations Thread over at the Songwriting forum. Every Friday morning. And that's to share who influences your songwriting. Please feel free to stop in and share if you do any writing.

As far as bass playing and performing go...

Graham Maby -Joe Jackson Band

Colin Moulding - XTC

Bruce Thomas - Elvis Costello and the Attractions

[video=youtube;XTIPCc1nKYQ]

[video=youtube;yYoTMxVzQ-A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYoTMxVzQ-A

[video=youtube;usRG3eWfQOA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usRG3eWfQOA

• Members

OK, I'm really going to date myself here. Earliest influence had me making carboard guitars and pretending my sister's music stand was my microphone. That would be......(drum roll)..............

Watching Ricky Nelson play and sing on "Ozzie & Harriet". Then the Beach Boys caught my attention for a while. But it was when the Beatles hit the scene that I decided that playing guitar (bass guitar at first actually) was a MUST DO!! I started taking lessons the year after seeing them on Ed Sullivan.

(I've posted before about my first instructor refusing to teach me to play bass unless I learned to play guitar first). I was 11 yrs. old. I played my first paying gig (on bass) 2 yrs later at age 13.

• Members

This is after his time with Dokken, but I think when he recorded the first Lynch Mob album he was at his best!

PJ

By 'best' do you mean most crooked, conniving, back-stabbing and 'roided out?

• Members

In chronological order that they inspired me (But not necessarily the order I regard them as influences, etc.)

First:

[video=youtube;JlBFtQGF7oI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlBFtQGF7oI

Second:

A few years later, I discovered the guy in the cowboy hat here, who had originally taken lessons from his famous father's more famous good friend, Buddy Rich...

[video=youtube;QvcKX4gK18Q]

Best known for the studio recording of this workout...

[video=youtube;kD5X5OGLySI]

Taking the spotlight from his MUCH better known frontman here...

[video=youtube;TYvht1yDvE0]

Third:

And then it was the fella who played this crushing groove, who is still my biggest influence...

[video=youtube;SoND4Edz-jw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoND4Edz-jw

• Members

I actually stumbled into playing guitar (my first "rock" instrument) in my sophomore year of high school in English class where a group of friends decided that we should start a band. I was informed that I would play guitar (I did not, as of yet, play guitar -- but then again, nor did the bass player play bass, or the drummer play drums).

But once I started playing, it was solos like this from Adrian Smith

And then this:

[video=youtube;UFrDpx7zLtA]

Somewhere in there is where my vibe lay.

• Members

Andre Matos would have been better than who they picked IMO... Never heard you but I would bet you would have be better too.

actually I would have been better!
:thu:

again IMO.
:)

:) Agreed! But Andre didn't speak English at the time and I didn't look the part...we were both kids...but it was fun! In an a way it's good they picked that douche, it left doors open for Bruce to some back in!

Rod

• Members

I grew up little isolated and rather poor. This was one of the reasons I loved music at an early age...

[video=youtube;tsQjtTUCAS0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsQjtTUCAS0

Well, that and being in love with Olivia Newton-John. :love:

However, it was the summer of 1982(?) that I went to an academic enrichment camp at a nearby university and first heard both Blue Oyster Cult's Extraterrestrial Live and Van Halen's debut album and THAT made me want to pick up a guitar! I ended up getting one a couple of years later (a Crestline copy of a '72 Thinline Tele), but never learned to play except for a couple of cowboy chords and a little riff here or there.

I didn't discover Led Zeppelin or Jimi until I was in college (1986). I taught myself Black Dog (from tab in a friend's Guitar for the Practicing Musician) and that was pretty much the extent of my playing for the next 15 years.

This is a little sad, but it was Blink 182 that made me pick up the guitar again in 2000 (maybe 2001?). I heard "All the Small Things", grabbed a friend's guitar that was sitting there and had it figured out in no time at all. I went "That's it? That's all they got? Hell, I can do that!" and decided to buy a "real" guitar and started my first cover band with my friend. I've been making money off of other people's songs ever since. :thu:

• Members

It's funny, my whole inspriation for getting into music was Kirk Hammett's solo in Enter Sandman. I was in fifth grade when it came out and when I first heard it I was blown away and just had to play guitar. From then until my junior or senior year in HS, my inspirations were all the typical metal bands, but especially Megadeth, Pantera, Slayer, Sepultura, Anthrax, and so on...

Then I really started getting into all different kinds of music, and three of my biggest inspirations became Al DiMeola and John McLaughlin, and Eric Johnson. (EJ first, as I heard Cliffs of Dover before I heard anything by the other two...but Al's album The Wizard and JM's work on the first 3 Mahavishnu Orchestra albums became HUGE inspirations...)

I then switched to keys and dropped the guitar completely around 20 y.o. or so, and along with still having all the same inspriations and influences I had growing up, I then added to them Beethoven Chopin and Chic Corea and Jan Hammer, along with Miles Davis of course and all of the major fusion super-groups. I also became inspired by some electronic/techno stuff as well.

Archived