Playing in multiple bands?

n9ne

• Members

I've played in multiple bands for about 3 years now. I'd say it's not nearly as complicated as a lot of people make it out to be. Here's what I've learned:

-Using google calendar, and sharing EVERY band / bandmates calendars is the easiest way to never have a schedule conflict. To not do it is just lazy on the part of whoever won't do it.

-Along with google calendar, the idea that one band is 'primary' and another is 'secondary' only causes hard feelings and sends mixed signals.. NO BAND wants to hear from you that they are 2nd best. This is a huge mistake I made at first. Luckily, I changed it to a "first come first served" scheduling rule on the calendar and told everyone that no band was more important than another.

- Know the material.. never come to rehearsal or a gig unprepared or less than stellar on the material... if you can't keep up with the different materials in multiple bands, then you shouldn't be in more than one. Never use a gig or rehearsal from another band as an excuse for not doing your homework.

- be up front and honest about why you are doing it with all parties involved.

To date, I've never had a scheduling issue, and have been in 3 bands at some points. I also do fill-in gigs when the opportunity arises. It's not an easy road to travel, and there are some downsides, and most importantly - it's a LOT of hard work, especially if you don't know a lot of common material. Feel free to hit me up with any specific questions

Kramerguy for the win.

I've been doing it this way for over 10 years. In the very few times I have been double booked (2 times, maybe), it was my mistake and I was able to work something out in my absence. In one case I found them a sub that eventually became their guitarist....they fired me for him! But there was no hard feelings...it was kinda cool, actually. Worked out for everybody.

And personally, I like being in multiple bands. One is a classic rawk covers, one is dance music covers, one is a contemporary jazz original project, one is a fusion original project, and one is an acoustic covers duo. And don't forget doing sub work. Recently I picked up some sub work for a signed young country act. Between all of them, I stay busy as none of the bands work all that much. And all of my musical interests are covered. It is easy to play 3 steps when the next night you get to play Giant Steps.....knowhatimsayin'?

• Moderators

A thing to think about with regards to this is that while most band leaders would love every member to be available for rehearsals and shows at any given time, if you think about it, there are more important things that being super-available. What good is a guy with an open calendar if he doesn't show up prepared at rehearsals, or if he's just a total jerk, or his gear is always broken?

And another thing is that not having any other musical pursuits doesn't mean someone will always be available. I've played with plenty of people whose job or family situations put a serious dent in their availability, musically.

Archived