Musicians are many, Talented are few.

• Members

I complained and whined about my band for a while now. It finally broke up and half of the group went in totally opposite directions of the music we were playing; More than likely due to the drug influence.

We play metal. http://youtu.be/UkpNjTBdAfE

There's a taste of what we were doing. Since the break up in January 11' we can't find anyone to replace a singer and at least one of the two guitarists that left. A lot of people want to play in the band, but they just can't play a majority of our music :confused: Should we change our style? How? I'd be pretty upset if we lost our fast heavy sound, but we can't find anyone that can play or scream with that aggressive style.

Thoughts opinions?

• Members

Always remember this my dear young muso; there are only three reasons a band stays together,

1) Money

2) Love of the music

3) Love to hang with the 'organization' (band members, crew, etc.)

At least 1 of these 3 things have to be present. This looks to be one of your first bands. And y'all are good. But if you are going to have a life in music, this won't be your last. So my thoughts are:

.....don't sweat it, be patient, play music.

• Members

You have two options:

1) Write the music you hear in your head, and try to put together a band willing to play it and capable of doing do.

2) Put together a band of like-minded individuals, and write music that fits within their capabilities.

The first may be more artistically gratifying. The second will get you back on stage sooner, and it's easier to find and recruit better musicians into a going concern than a theoretical start-up project.

I understand that you have material you've already worked up with your old band, but, don't get too attached to your previous stuff. If you're serious, you should be studying the craft of songwriting and so you should always be coming up with new songs and striving to improve. From a songwriting perspective, working within the limitations of a band can be a useful challenge.

• Members

If you love the sound your band created as a collective, and don't wish to lose that style, you will simply have to find members that fit into that style. It might take weeks or months. You might have to find them from neighboring towns/cities, maybe even as far as 2 hours away (one way).

You have to decide what your most important goals are. If the band sound is #1, then all else must heed that goal. That means you might have to put up with assholes, divas, flakes, dumbasses, etc. You'll say to yourself, "I'm going bonkers, but man, can they sing/play!"

If band harmony is more of your goal, then you'll have to sacrifice the music a bit. This is currently where I am at. I'm in a band where it's more about getting along with each other than my love for the songs or places we are playing or money we make.

You might not have to do either one. You might be able to have your cake and eat it too, but more likely than not, sacrifices and compromises will have to be made. That's just the way it is with music.

Good luck. :thu:

Archived