First Tour (July 14-23)

• Members

Hey all,

I'm embarking on my first tour with a bunch of friends, and I'll be doing merch as well as being their temporary tour manager. I don't really know what to expect (sleeping and eating wise) as well as what the state of my sanity will be at the end. We're going in a van with 3 rows of seats, and there are 6 of us total going on the trip.

Tour dates: Who wants to say hi along the way?

July 14 - Perry Hall, MD

July 16 - Pulaski, TN

July 17 - Pensacola, FL

July 20 - Jacksonville, FL

July 22 - Florence, AL

July 23 - Ardmore, AL

Then we start the trek home! My first thought when they presented the schedule: won't it be a hell of a drive from TN to FL in one night, then play the next day? Anyway, looking forward to any input you guys might have on the touring experience. Feel free to address any of my concerns at the bottom!

Concerns:

1. What will I be eating, and how often?

2. What's it like sleeping in a van with 5 others?

3. How rare will showers be? (HOW DO YOU SHOWER ON THE ROAD IF YOU DON'T HAVE A HOTEL?)

4. Will there be fights?

Thanks all!

• Members

Concerns:

3. How rare will showers be? (HOW DO YOU SHOWER ON THE ROAD IF YOU DON'T HAVE A HOTEL?)

4. Will there be fights?

1~ you'll be eating Subway , because they are at every travel gas station stop and that's all you'll have time for.

2~driver, passenger, and three lay down seats?No problem. The extra 6th person is gonna make it rough.

3~shower when you get beck to Jersey (it's only a week)....J/K. Truck stops such as TA have showers (I think they're $5)

4~ yes,if your singer is named Axl or Courtney

(My Mom lives in Florence, there's a bit of a scene down there. I'm occasionally in Muscle Shoals to visit when I'm off the road.)

TIPS

remember the time zone changes

two words : sleep mask

drivers should only listen w/ their earphones (and not blast the music for EVERYONE)

plan any banking deposits in advance

no drinking and driving. no fun? then stay home and be a local hero instead.

take the promoter's bottled water instead of spending $5 a day on your own.

watch out for deer

bring dvds, computer, a converter for power

Gig is outside?Sunblock and bug spray.No {censored}-we don't play down here, you'll get burnt and bitten.

and

If you've never done merch before, have the dates advanced. Find out if the venue gets a percentage, if so your act may want to adjust their prices accordingly. Make the new price signs before you leave so you're not sitting there w/ ghetto last minuete magic marker prices on your merch table.

have fun

• Members

The drive from Pulaski to Pensacola is less than 7 hours. No big deal really. MD to TN is gonna be the bitch.

Showers... Hook up everynight with someone local ;) Or join Bally's gym.

Sleeping is going to suck - personally I'm too old for that {censored}. If we were to do something like that, our bass player has a 27' camper that we'd bring along.

As for fights, it all depends on you guys. We'd have no problem.

Like J. Paul said, have fun.

• Members

drivers should only listen w/ their earphones (and not blast the music for EVERYONE)

HI:

INCREDIBLY unsafe (to the point of stupidity, to be frank), and unless I'm mistaken, illegal, or at least likely to be illegal in many states.

• Members

H

4. Will there be fights?

Thanks all!

In my experience...

1. What you'll be eating won't matter much to you once you've passed on the rest/truck stop food for 'something better' one time and ended up driving another 3-4 hours until you find ANYTHING to eat.

Seriously, as tour manager, it rests on your shoulders to guide everyone else into smart choices:

Opt for the most neutral/healthy option at whatever rest stop you pass, and be prepared to lower your personal preference standards; eating healthy is important, but trying to drive/load-in/gig/load-out/drive/repeat on a crap meal or an empty stomach because there was nothing else you wanted to eat is a sure-fire way to derail the whole thing.

Also, buy a couple cases of Cliff bars or the like to keep in the van; if you run low, hit a mega-mart and replenish.

Bring a cooler big enough to hold a little ice and at least 8-10 bottles of water. Mark the cooler WATER. Nothing else goes in there. This is your emergency stash for the late stages of a long leg. Replenish/refill as you are able.

2. What's it like? It sucks balls. You'll never feel like you can get comfortable enough, or got enough sleep, or that it was very good sleep. Multiply this exponentially if it's not COOL (70 degrees or lower); those 6 bodies will heat up that small space like a greenhouse. I'd also suggest bringing earplugs for everyone (multiples, as they'll get lost)...and maybe nose plugs...

3. As rare as you and they can handle. I would suggest doing some online research and mapping out locations on your route where you'll be able to shower for a small fee (Truck stops, YMCA or the like, etc.) BRING FLIP-FLOPS OR SANDALS FOR THIS!

4. 6 guys in a van? First leg is MD to TN? Last leg is AL to MD?

Is anybody going along independently wealthy and extremely generous with applying their cash towards the band to solve any problems/soothe any sore issues/etc.?

If not...

Yes, there will be fights.

I suggest you always have a Flip-cam or the like ready for those occasions.

• Members

HI:

INCREDIBLY unsafe (to the point of stupidity, to be frank), and unless I'm mistaken, illegal, or at least likely to be illegal in many states.

Such wisdom

in which case you should:

blankly stare for hours and hours, alert w/ all five sense at the ready

or

force everyone to loudly listen to whatever you are (because dammit you're driving) whether they are sleeping or not

and remember not to use your phone while driving either, also unsafe....would probably dull the senses

Oh and no oral sex after the show, also illegal in many states

• Moderators

Six dates, with four days off, and a sixteen hour drive back? Ugh. That's not very economical but it sounds like it's a done deal.

You'll be fine. It's a week and a half. Don't eat {censored}ty food. Hit up supermarket when you can. You might want to just splurge on a cheap hotel room for one night. You also might want to try to crash with a band you're playing with some nights.

• Members

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Six dates, with
four days off
, and a sixteen hour drive back? Ugh. That's not very economical but it sounds like it's a done deal.

You'll be fine. It's a week and a half. Don't eat {censored}ty foot. Hit up supermarket when you can. You might want to just splurge on a cheap hotel room for one night. You also might want to try to crash with a band you're playing with some nights.

That's what I said when my friend first told me about the dates, but I guess that's what you get when the band is booking their first tour. :p

• Members

Thanks everyone for the advice!

That's what I said when my friend first told me about the dates, but I guess that's what you get when the band is booking their first tour.
:p

Look at it as a fun time with your friends on the road for the first time!

I'll add some things from my past experience...

Decide who the drivers are before the trip and how long the driving periods are, don't wait to figure this out on the road, never works!

Bring headphones to avoid music issues andvolume issues in the van.

Whenever possible, get a hotel room, they are cheap, you guys can all crash and shower and feel much better, especially after a hot southern gig.

VERY IMPORTANT!

RESPECT THE LOCALS, PATRONS, VENUE, OPERATORS, STAFF, EVERYONE! They will make you or break you! You are out of your element so if you need assistance in any way, shape, or form, they will be there for you.

+1 on the video camera!

Rod

• Members

If you are going to be a real tour manager, it means a lot more that coming along for the ride, selling cds and t-shirts at shows, and partieng with the band afterwards. If you're going to take that title, then you responsibities include:

to make sure there is gas in the van and that it is mechanically sound

to arrange meal breaks, and have food packed if a meal will fall with no resteraunts around

to contact the venue's before you get there to find out about load in, sound check, parking, compensation, drinks, merch sales, ect....

to handle sleeping arrangements, wether that's hotel, a couch at a stranger's house, or where you can legally park the van to sleep

to keep track of finances - if you have a good pay day one night don't be stupid and buy an expensive hotel room, fancy meal, or new sunglasses for everyone at the next gas station - you could very easily have a {censored}ty night the next night, or even get stiffed by the club. Meet your needs but be consevative

This is the most important - Remember you are not part of the band. If the band is partying after the gig, as the tour manager you must be the responsible one. You have to be sure the band is not blowing all the money on beer / drugs. You have to be sure no one is doing anything illegal (worst way to end a tour early is in jail). You have to be the one to wake everyone up and get on the road on time.

There is far more, but that is what I had off the top of my head; I'm sure you get the idea though.

• Members

If you are going to be a real tour manager, it means a lot more that coming along for the ride, selling cds and t-shirts at shows, and partieng with the band afterwards. If you're going to take that title, then you responsibities include:

to make sure there is gas in the van and that it is mechanically sound

to arrange meal breaks, and have food packed if a meal will fall with no resteraunts around

to contact the venue's before you get there to find out about load in, sound check, parking, compensation, drinks, merch sales, ect....

to handle sleeping arrangements, wether that's hotel, a couch at a stranger's house, or where you can legally park the van to sleep

to keep track of finances - if you have a good pay day one night don't be stupid and buy an expensive hotel room, fancy meal, or new sunglasses for everyone at the next gas station - you could very easily have a {censored}ty night the next night, or even get stiffed by the club. Meet your needs but be consevative

This is the most important - Remember you are not part of the band. If the band is partying after the gig, as the tour manager you must be the responsible one. You have to be sure the band is not blowing all the money on beer / drugs. You have to be sure no one is doing anything illegal (worst way to end a tour early is in jail). You have to be the one to wake everyone up and get on the road on time.

There is far more, but that is what I had off the top of my head; I'm sure you get the idea though.

Thanks! When he pitched this tour to me, he said "tour manager" in air quotes - so not really sure what that means.

Also: the 5 guys in the band are all HEAVY smokers. Is it bad that the fact they smoke makes me not want to go? I don't really have anything against smoking, but the fact I'll be in a van with it for 9 days..

• Members

Also: the 5 guys in the band are all HEAVY smokers. Is it bad that the fact they smoke makes me not want to go? I don't really have anything against smoking, but the fact I'll be in a van with it for 9 days..

Is it bad? That depends. How much do you like being miserable? :p

• Moderators

I would also add: make sure somebody has a smartphone (and maybe an extra battery). Having one means (just about) never getting lost, never being at a loss for a place to eat/get coffee, never not being able to get into your email. So, so great for road trips.

• Members

Such wisdom

in which case you should:

blankly stare for hours and hours, alert w/ all five sense at the ready

or

force everyone to loudly listen to whatever you are (because dammit you're driving) whether they are sleeping or not

You're making cracks about WISDOM, and still suggesting a driver wear earphones?

That's f&@king rich.

Just because the alternatives are unpleasant doesn't make your suggestion any more safe, sound or legal.

Sorry to rain on your parade with unhappy reality, but life isn't always sunshine.

I know I wouldn't be passenger in a vehicle with any idiot who thought it a good idea to use earphones while driving for ANY reason, that's for sure.

• Members

Read this thread again. Does it really sound like a good time?

hahaha touring sucks unless you are a big band with hotel rooms, money and fans.

Either that or your a teen and want to "have fun with the guys".

Its soooooo not glamourous like they make it out to be!

• Members

Also: the 5 guys in the band are all HEAVY smokers. Is it bad that the fact they smoke makes me not want to go?

I think that by asking that, you've pretty much answered it.

If I were a smoking band member and knew you felt that way, I wouldn't even bother asking you along. Nothing worse than someone all miserable on a long road trip....

• Members

Some good advice already in this thread on this. One more option is what my old band used to do which was to go to swimming pools. Worth the price of admission just to use the showers.

Good luck and enjoy it.

• Members

1. Tires Blow

2. Tires Blow late at night when one guy is awake and it aint the driver!!

3. Tires Blow then you change them on the side of the road when its 11,000 degrees!

4. Tires Blow twenty minutes after that strange vibration starts in the steering wheel.

5. Tires Blow twenty minutes after that strange vibration starts in the steering wheel.

6. Tires Blow CHECK THE F*CKING TIRES FOR BUBBLES EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU STOP!

7. If a tire doesn't blow, you'll likely live for a long time regardless of what happens on tour.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey all,

I'm embarking on my first tour with a bunch of friends, and I'll be doing merch as well as being their temporary tour manager. I don't really know what to expect (sleeping and eating wise) as well as what the state of my sanity will be at the end. We're going in a van with 3 rows of seats, and there are 6 of us total going on the trip.

Then we start the trek home! My first thought when they presented the schedule: won't it be a hell of a drive from TN to FL in one night, then play the next day? Anyway, looking forward to any input you guys might have on the touring experience. Feel free to address any of my concerns at the bottom!

So how did it go?What happened?

....you can't make a post like this and NOT report back :poke:

A tire didn't blow did it?

Archived