Promo Flyer -- Offensive? Apparently so.

• Members

So we played a gig at a bar on 7/2. Last week we put up a couple of flyers in the venue announcing the show for the regulars. By Friday, the venue had pulled them down as "offensive". Apparently, the band name is a problem for the bar owner.

Anybody have a similar experience?

Do you think our band name is offensive?

More importantly, do you think it will cause other booking/promo issues?

I'm kinda at a loss myself. I'm the furthest thing from "anything goes in art", but by the same token, I'm flabbergasted to explain why the word "bastard" is offensive.

For the record, they had no objections to us saying the name, posting it on their calendar of activities, nor did they care that we sang "Crazy Bitch" which I find a lot more offensive than the name of the band.

Oh yeah. Here's the offending flyer. (ugh, rotating this image isn't working!!!)

DRB-FtThomasPub.jpg

• Members

My opinion is that if you go with something potentially offensive, there has to be a point or a pun or a double meaning or something. Otherwise, why bother? It's just not worth the x% of people that will be offended.

I see nothing redeeming about "Dirty Rat Bastard" so personally I would never consider it for a band name.

My two cents...

• Members

I think it's a fun name...the image is the key here. I think if you just had the band name, it might be a bit more iffy. Does this bar have a daytime crowd that's a little more conservative and/or older? Perhaps that's why he'd want to take the fliers down?

Ft. Thomas is near Cincy (I work an hour west of Lexington). You'd think it be a little more progressive, but it is Kentucky, so you just never know...

• Members

I can see the phrase "music to strip to" as a bigger problemn than the name of the band, I don't know what kinda venue this is but that may get the wrong idea.

Rod

Thats what I thought too. No problem with the band name but "music to strip to" is kind of weird (unless playing a strip club).

• Members

I've think you've been slapped by political correctness. To some people "bastard" is offensive because it means momma had no idea who poppa was (it was a large party) so we wouldn't want to offend any little snivelers who feel they are victims of hate speech. "Retards" and "bastards" are both on the banned list. I guess some bastard cried all afternoon and complained to management.

Also possible the "strip to" was the problem, or possibly the rat with one tooth offended anyone with one tooth.

• Members

Good observation. They had no problem with "Music to Strip to..." it's "Bastard" that they found offensive. But I see your point. Although, remember these were in the bar so I don't think anyone would mistake that it would suddenly become a strip club for one night.

"Music to Strip to..." became a sort of tagline to describe the music we play in a more creative way. If you read our setlist, it sounds like the music you'd hear in a strip club (at least last time I was in one)... GnR, Crue, Buck Cherry, Thin Lizzy, Judas Priest, Jet, AC/DC, etc.

According to our guitarist who regularly frequents this bar, they play a lot of dirty rap music during the day. Which only adds further cloudiness on their decision.

• Members

If it's a venue that's also a restaurant type place during the day...I could totally see their point. Lots of places we play are also rooms (or are attached to rooms) that serve food all day and families can come and eat and stuff, before 9pm or whatever when it turns to 21+.

Might that be an issue?

• Members

So we played a gig at a bar on 7/2. Last week we put up a couple of flyers in the venue announcing the show for the regulars. By Friday, the venue had pulled them down as "offensive". Apparently,
the band name is a problem for the bar owner

For the record,
they had no objections
to us saying the name, posting it on their calendar of activities, nor did they care that we sang "Crazy Bitch" which I find a lot more offensive than the name of the band.

Sounds like a booking agent and owner disconnect.

Nothing you can do about it, and for the record, the name isn't at all offensive TO ME, but that's the chance you take with a name that's...borderline.

If you want to play the place again, I suggest talking to the booking agent and telling him you're willing to adopt the moniker of DRB for any dates there.

• Members

I suggest talking to the booking agent and telling him you're willing to adopt the moniker of DRB for any dates there.

That's ultimately how we ended up billing ourselves in print. We've got another show there in August so we won't make the same mistake twice.

• Members

LOL. There's a lot of that in KY already.

A quick joke: How do we know the tooth brush was invented in KY (or insert name of locale of your choosing)? Because if it were invented anywhere else it would have been called a teethbrush.

Back on topic- Who cares what one bar thinks about your name? I wouldn't change it for one place if it's not holding you up anywhere else. I would simply use the initials D.R.B. and leave everything else the same for this one bar. Those who know you, will know. Those who don't, you'll have the privelidge of telling them face-to-face. Be sure to sell lots of t-shirts so your fans can wear them especially when visiting this bar!

• Members

Who knows... It may have offended him and it may have just pissed him off that you were spammin up his joint with posters and didnt want to look at the thing for over a month.

Huh??? We put 'em up on 6/30 for a show on 7/2. :confused:

• Members

Huh??? We put 'em up on 6/30 for a show on 7/2.
:confused:

Who knows ,, did you ask him if you could put them up? owners can be fussy. I know at the place where I play in the house band ,, I doubt that a flyer would stay up more than 15 minutes after you put them up. the owner would take them down , just because she doesnt like clutter. They have a lit sign where they advertise who is playing that night,, your name would be up in lights for the night Woooooooooo peeeeeee {censored}. In your case it would say live band at 7pm

• Members

I doubt it was "political correctness" or anything like that. All it takes is ONE paying customer---someone in there during the day perhaps who wouldn't go see any nighttime band in a million years---to complain and the owner is going to want to take them down.

• Members

I doubt it was "political correctness" or anything like that. All it takes is ONE paying customer---someone in there during the day perhaps who wouldn't go see any nighttime band in a million years---to complain and the owner is going to want to take them down.

A smart owner would take the flyer down before he got that one complaint. :thu:

• Members

I like it

I like the name and the slogan and the flyer.

Yes your name COULD be offensive to some if you are not a hardcore band.

Are you trying to appeal to everyone or are you trying to find a niche (EG;motley crue fans are not air supply fans).?

Screw them, find another club. Make it home and part of your "brand"

Archived