OT: Recovering from Post Surgical Hernia Repair... any ideas on recovery?

• Members

Last Friday I went under the knife to repair a large ventral hernia- the result of some abdominal surgery to treat my colon cancer a few years ago. We had a break with the band... a bunch of private parties I could skip out on so I jumped at the opportunity to get it repaired. The proceedure was supposed to be outpatient and I figured a week of bed rest and no lifting for 4 weeks I'd be good as new by the end of this month. Instead of laproscopic I had to have open abdominal... again :cry::eek: and I ended up spending 4 days in the hospital and the rest of the week getting bed rest. I'm guessing my recovery will be much longer and more involved than I expected. I've lost this weekend's gigs and I'm guessing the next two weeks at least. Pain is pretty unpleasent and I'm on a 15lb lift restriction.

Anyone ever have this type of surgery done? What was your recovery like?

• Members

Yikes... I don't have any knowledge of that type of surgery specifically, but *so* many people overdo it after that sort of thing. First you have to heal *completely*, and *then* you still have to regain the muscle/coordination that you lost (which starts to happen after just a few days of enforced bed rest).

Definitely keep in close touch with your physician/therapist, but if there was ever a time to get help with loadin/loadout and to be the "band statue" on-stage, this is it, even if you think you are back to 100%.

• Members

Yikes... I don't have any knowledge of that type of surgery specifically, but *so* many people overdo it after that sort of thing. First you have to heal *completely*, and *then* you still have to regain the muscle/coordination that you lost (which starts to happen after just a few days of enforced bed rest).

Definitely keep in close touch with your physician/therapist, but if there was ever a time to get help with loadin/loadout and to be the "band statue" on-stage, this is it, even if you think you are back to 100%.

I definitely plan on taking all the time I need to heal and recover. In the past I've done some stupid things during surgical recovery. Plus I never want to go through this again. I feel like Mel Gibson at the end of Braveheart screaming 'Freedom!!!" as he's getting his entrails removed.

So no loading in/out at all and really no point in gigging if I can't look or feel comfortable. If I look sick I have no point in being near a stage. So I'm planning to kick back for a while. The parts I play during songs can be missed or covered.

• Members

I definitely plan on taking all the time I need to heal and recover. In the past I've done some stupid things during surgical recovery. Plus I never want to go through this again. I feel like Mel Gibson at the end of Braveheart screaming 'Freedom!!!" as he's getting his entrails removed.

So no loading in/out at all and really no point in gigging if I can't look or feel comfortable. If I look sick I have no point in being near a stage. So I'm planning to kick back for a while. The parts I play during songs can be missed or covered.

Sorry to hear that ,,but a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do. I think If i were you , i would totally do the MIA thing on any gigs until you really ready to play. Dont even show up, because guys being guys are always going to over do it , even if you go with the best intentions of just not doing anything. Just the drive and being at the gig for the number of hours you have to put in,, it going to be a load on you. I know you cant ingore the band so stay home and do somthing with the marketing or whatever that that keeps you away from the show until you can go and not screw anything up with your recovery.

• Members

Here's to a speedy recovery! I've never had surgery, so I can't help you with that, but good time to catch up on reading, I suppose.

its more of a time to catch up on your sleep ,,wake up ,, hurt ,, two vicodens, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wake up hurt rinse wash repeat. prunes are your friend.

• Members

Mine took 3 months before I was cleared to lift 50lbs over my head, which means someone else had to put speakers on poles :) Don't push it. I gigged about 3 weeks after the surgery and thought I was going to die.

• Members

Mine took 3 months before I was cleared to lift 50lbs over my head, which means someone else had to put speakers on poles
:)
Don't push it. I gigged about 3 weeks after the surgery and thought I was going to die.

I'm guessing 3-4 weeks. There are only 3 gigs that I'll miss that are seminal summertime gigs... huge turnouts and big spectacles. I've played both rooms over 30x's. So I'm not missing much The rest are all private parties and such. My gear is pretty light. Keytar is 8lbs, Micro X is 5 lbs and Microstation is 6lbs. My rack is 20 lbs but on rollers. So no heavy lifting. We'll see how I feel after the first gig.

How was the repair? Did it hold? This is the last time I want to have this done again.

Just my 2cents but this is the last place I'd be looking for advice on this subject. What does your doctor have to say?

My doctor says what the recovery proceedure states. When I ask him 'Can I gig?" he says sure as long as you aren't lifting. Standing and playing are fine. Does my doctor gig? Does he know how long I'll be standing or in what type of environment I'll be gigging in. Nope! My onocologist told me once I could gig between chemo treatments. She thought it was an hour affair. I had to expalin to her that it was a 8-10 hour committment before she understood what I was really asking. Then the answer was 'no, I wouldn't suggest'.

• Members

Not tryin to one up you at all, in can just relate.

I had to cancel a nice gig Saturday night because of this..

Right after I had just recovered from an appendectomy.

Crap!!! Did your face hit someone's fist? What happened?