Web promotion: what sites do you use?

BenoA

• Members

We're on the process of getting a new singer. We have an interesting individual that we will be auditionning next week.

So in that process, I was checking all the web sites we have and was wondering:

- official web site (done using the free google offering)

- Myspace

- Youtube

- Twitter

- Facebook

Keeping this updated takes time and was wondering the value of having all of these.

I'm thinking keeping the official web site, youtube (to hold the videos/audios) and it's easy to add them to the official web site. Facebook/twitter are both linked together.

Myspace, who still use this???

Anyway, what's your call or what do you do on your side?

• Members

In list of importance, we use:

1. Gigmasters

2. Facebook

3. www.offthewagonband.com

Gigmasters has been great, but I'd only recommend it if you're a marketable cover band that has a decent press kit. Since we added our demo 3 weeks ago to gig masters, we've booked 4 gigs paying us $800-$1300, this after having never gotten paid above $600 for a single gig.

Gigmasters generally causes people to check out our facebook site or webpage. Facebook is great for posting pictures, interacting with our fans, and promoting gigs. Honestly, I'd use facebook only, and ditch our website except that I'm haunted by how quickly myspace went out of favor, and think the same thing could easily happen with facebook. Plus the website looks better and more professional IMHO.

• Members

domain

youtube

facebook (which I don't have but the band does)

myspace

pollstar

also reverbnation

I might start on linkin soon

IMO that's enough, you gotta draw the line (and have a life sometime),

......however our soundman (who is a 27 y/o mac using techno geek) is of the opinion that you should use everything that is available.

• Members

. Since we added our demo 3 weeks ago to gig masters, we've booked 4 gigs paying us $800-$1300, this after having never gotten paid above $600 for a single gig.

That's good to know, good for YOU guys.

I signed up for Gigmasters the week it came out (12 years ago???) when it was free.

I was doing my original artist thing then and there just wasn't anything for me after about a year

I dropped it.

• Members

In order of most traffic driven...

Band Website/Domain -- driven thru Top 5 results on Google in most targeted keywords.

WeddingWire - Paid Featured Listing

TheKnot - Paid Featured Listing

YouTube

Facebook

• Members

Thanks everyone.

I really thinking only keeping the band website/domain alive. It's also easier to make it look good and change the content. Facebook is taken care by the bass player. Myspace seems dead anyway.

• Members

In order of importance...

Website-http://nutsinablender.com/- In bad need of a redesign... but still manages great traffic nontheless. Between 400-700 hits per week with an average of 200 unique visitors. Google 'nuts in a blender' and the first three pages pull up with band links alone.

Facebook-In terms of local promotion we maintain three seperate Facebook sites. Why... well Facebook wouldn't approve the name 'Nuts In A Blender' as it was considered 'offensive'. But the word 'vagina' apparently is not. Go figure. We had three seperate attempt at building Facebook Group, Page and profile using Nuts In A Blender and none were really successful. But each week it's our platform for announcing shows, etc.

Vimeo- http://www.vimeo.com/nutsinablender Video promotion and supportive content is a big part of our promotions and Vimeo is the clear choice over You Tube for selective embedding video. We still upload to our You Tube site, but Vimeo is the first upload for any video.

MySpace- Still maintain a MySpace site mainly as a redirect to our website and facebook.

• Members

I really think it depends on what sort of band you are. For a band looking to build and maintain a following and has the need to contact fans in order to alert them of the next gig, Facebook seems essentially (and MySpace is probably completely dead at this point.) For a band such as mine--doing almost all casuals without a real fan base--we have a Facebook page but it doesn't really do much for us except maybe keep some friends and family alerted to what we are up to.

Gigmasters has been huge for us in terms of booking casuals and direct traffic to our own website is big as well. It's probably about a 50/50 split as to how many gigs we get from each.

• Moderators

We're a mostly-original band playing mostly locally. We don't have a regular website (it's on my to do list, ok?) but we use Facebook (the most), Twitter (occasionally), and an email list. (occasionally, I need to better organize and utilize that one better)

We also still have a MySpace but it doesn't get updated. Also Reverb Nation, Bandcamp etc but we don't usually list shows or use those for promotion, really..

I miss being able to do so much with MySpace alone. For a while there it really was a godsend.

• Members

I miss being able to do so much with MySpace alone. For a while there it really was a godsend.

It really was. Some high profile people including Justin Timberlake are supposedly trying to revamp it, but I dont know if it can ever be what it was

• Moderators

It really was. Some high profile people including Justin Timberlake are supposedly trying to revamp it, but I dont know if it can ever be what it was

I thought I had some pretty decent ideas for a MySpace re-vamp, but oddly, nobody ever contacted me. :o

Essentially: it was to tear it all down and bring it back as a very simple, very mobile-friendly, music-centric site with simplified social networking, drawing on elements of Twitter, Last.fm, and Facebook.

Personal accounts would pretty much be:

-basic personal info

-a status

-a calendar

-photos

-"friends"/favorited bands

Music accounts would be, basically:

-status

-basic info

-music/videos

-show dates

Personal accounts would have a "radio" function, which would play music from artists you add, or optionally add in suggestions based on what you like, like Pandora. There'd be an option to share stations with one another.

So bascally, social interaction would be centered around sharing music, discussing concerts, and so on. It would be a mobile-friendly, quick way for people to see what was up with current artists, both indie and big, and to connect with friends over it. And again: very simple.

I dunno, I'd like that, if done right.

• Members

A question for the gigmasters crowd. Is that mainly a tool for getting wedding-type gigs? I'm not sure if it's worth me looking into or not.

ANY sort of casuals mainly. We get a lot of corporate work and private parties through there. But I really can't see clubowners going there looking for bands. They've already got their own established avenues of finding bands. But for anyone looking for a band for a private event...where you gonna go? You're probably going to go to the internet first. Gigmasters is good for this because they A) excel in having their site come up high on almost any google search (I just googled Baton Rouge Party Band and Gigmasters came up first) and B) they offer a service that I think is very good at making the client feel pretty safe about dropping down a couple grand over the internet on a band they've probably never heard of before.

• Members

A question for the gigmasters crowd. Is that mainly a tool for getting wedding-type gigs? I'm not sure if it's worth me looking into or not.

We're getting various types of non-bar gigs. A rodeo, a country club, private parties ,etc. We've gotten 1 wedding lead.

• Members

Hello Harmony Central Community!

It's my first post here, so I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Kuba (Jacob) and I'm from Poland. I'm passionate about composing, playing drums and making a living doing what I love.

I replied to this thread because I wrote a post recently on my blog about setting up a website for band. I hope it's helpful for you.

I'd love to hear from you!

Cheers :)

• Members

Being cheap and doing this mostly for fun we use a paid for domain name thethrowbacksband.com thru domaindiscover.com that redirects to a free reverbnation page.

Email to thethrowbacksband.com redirects to a free hotmail account via a redirect on the domaindiscover.com account.

Using redirects just means if we want to move to a different hosting system/email host we just need to change the redirects. I use a similar technique for domain names to sites that I run of a server in my home so I already had the domaindiscover account.

We also setup a facebook page www.facebook.com/TheThrowbacksBand

I've considered installing wordpress on my server in the past, I might look into that again.

• Members

Hey Big E, thank you for the reply!

I've considered installing wordpress on my server in the past, I might look into that again.

Sure, I recommend you to do it. It's not so hard to install and looks much more professional. ReverbNation is really cool, but each artist's profile looks a little overwhelming (just like the new MySpace). When you build your own website, your band have it's own place - I mean, without ads, data limits and predetermined webdesign. Website is more personal.

Have a facebook page - great! It's an amazing place to promote your band. I'm working on article about setting up your facebook landing page, so it looks more fancy, eg. like this.

• Members

1) Paid domain site I built using www.wix.com; liked the ease of build so much on the free version I upgraded out of pocket to take advantage of some of the improved features/functionality: the primary reason for this is to have a single clean & pro-looking site dedicated to band business (Home for promo materials, etc.)

2) Wix is also just rolling out an Alpha of their mobile platform; I will look into taking advantage of that as well (For business)

3) Myspace - handled by frontman: for fan usage/interaction

4) Facebook - handled by frontman: for fan usage/interaction

5) Reverbnation - handled by frontman: for fan usage/interaction

I'd LIKE to have a more defined plan for how #3-#5 get 'worked' (updated, used, etc.). Maybe there is one, but we haven't talked about it...we're spinning several other plates right now, so...later.

• Members

We use our "official" website for any extensive bio info, photo archive and really anything that someone might want to refer to for promotional or review purposes. I maintain a Facebook page (tied to each band member via the "Use Facebook as _______" option) for announcements, a few photos, and new songs via SoundCloud or YouTube links. I'm not fond enough of ReverbNation to utilize its Facebook app for music, especially since SoundCloud is so easy to use. We still have a MySpace page, although it only gets checked about once every two weeks. However, I have to be honest - I sure liked MySpace better for band purposes before it was rendered useless during the revamp.

• Members

However, I have to be honest - I sure liked MySpace better for band purposes before it was rendered useless during the revamp.

I agree. MySpace just wanted to make something new, but had no chance with Facebook's expansion. I mean, there's always place to promote your band, but when you concentrate on these most popular platforms, you'll succeed. Try to be with your band in places, where you can find potential fans. Forcing people to listen to your music (what was the only "tactic" for a number of bands featured on MySpace not so long ago) is not the best solution though.

According to website - as I mentioned before, it's cool to have a website. But we must remember that our websites can work for us (and bring us some fans, some album sales etc) BUT it can also work AGAINST us.

Your bands website, Inazone, looks cool. It's dark and somewhat mysterious - and that perfectly highlights your bands music genre I think.

Although I would change the menu a little bit - just to make it looking clear and readable. If you have some social media accounts, like Facebook, Twitter etc, you can put the links on your website. That will bring you some traffic, because your fan, who lands on your website, can actually connect with you via Facebook, or follow your band on Twitter.

I also like the graphics on the left. Awesome work :)

Keep it up!

Archived