Six letters.....starts with a "G"...ends with an "E"...

• Members

just booked a corporate party this morning for a pretty high-profile client in September.

Probably underbid it, but didn't know who the client was until after we submitted the bid...(haha...smart on their part obviously)

Should I be extra nervous because the client is such a big name? Probably not. People are people. They'll like the same songs as everybody else, I imagine. Still...I'm just a WEE bit nervous about pulling it off right now...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

just booked a corporate party this morning for a pretty high-profile client in September.

Probably underbid it, but didn't know who the client was until
after
we submitted the bid...(haha...smart on their part obviously)

Should I be extra nervous because the client is such a big name? Probably not. People are people. They'll like the same songs as everybody else, I imagine. Still...I'm just a WEE bit nervous about pulling it off right now...

No worries. I'm sure things will be fine. I would clear setlists with their organizers if you can, just to reduce any situations that may arise with content.

We've done corporate stuff for Pepsi, West Point and IBM (and alot of companies who's names you would never recognize). Here's a funny. We've been contacted in the past by the HR department at IBM (headquartered here in Amronk) to play an annual picnic event on a Friday in September for new hires. The event is 2-5pm, during a work day, they provide no PA: Pay- $0... seriously. $0. They have absolutely $0 budget for entertainment. They just want to see if we'd play for... well it can't be exposure (there are alot of India born engineers with families who aren't going to come out to see us.

Needless to say we decline it every year. ;)

• Members

No worries. I'm sure things will be fine. I would clear setlists with their organizers if you can, just to reduce any situations that may arise with content.

We've done corporate stuff for Pepsi, West Point and IBM (and alot of companies who's names you would never recognize). Here's a funny. We've been contacted in the past by the HR department at IBM (headquartered here in Amronk) to play an annual picnic event on a Friday in September for new hires. The event is 2-5pm, during a work day, they provide no PA: Pay- $0... seriously. $0. They have absolutely $0 budget for entertainment. They just want to see if we'd play for... well it can't be exposure (there are alot of India born engineers with families who aren't going to come out to see us.

Needless to say we decline it every year.
;)

We've played for a couple of big names EVERYBODY would know in the past--Jeep and Fender Guitars to be exact--but that was the "old" band and they were booked through agents who just sort of placed us in the gig for a client looking for a decent classic rock band. Cool to have those names on the resume, but it wasn't like it was somebody who specifically chose us and was excited to hire us, as is in this case. So the pressure is more on "us" (feels like that anyway). But, at the end of the day, I'm sure it will run just like any other corporate gig. Still though, it feels good to be associated with such clients.

As far as content goes...no real worries there. we're about as vanilla as you get when it comes to that stuff...lol

That IBM story is weird. Especially if you've played for them before. I can imagine they might find some bands willing to do it so they could have "IBM" on their resume, but since you already HAVE that... :confused:

• Members

Congrats! I assume it's Google, and they LOVE to hire Ivy League types. I'm not sure that makes much of a difference, but don't be offended if you get the occasional puzzled stare, or a heated debate breaks out in the middle of a kick-ass party song.

Will it actually be at the Googleplex?

• Members

Congrats! I assume it's Google, and they LOVE to hire Ivy League types. I'm not sure that makes much of a difference, but don't be offended if you get the occasional puzzled stare, or a heated debate breaks out in the middle of a kick-ass party song.

Will it actually be at the Googleplex?

No they are coming up to Lake Tahoe for some event of theirs. I'm not exactly sure what at this point. Most likely, it's just one division of the company. Last fall we "almost" booked a gig (thought we had it, but they went with another band at the last minute) for a similar deal that would have been up here for GoogleMaps. Different contact person for this one who is coming to us through another means (the first one was direct through our website; this one is through Gigmasters) so I don't know if the two events and groups are related at all.

• Members

That'll be fun. An it's flattering, since presumably they have an unparralleled ability to search the internet for the perfect band. Maybe if you do good enough they can throw a few stock options in for next year's pay.

I was thinking maybe just hit them up for better web-search placement. :lol:

• Members

Nope, no reason to be nervous. We've played for famous political figures and they treated us well. Same with huge corporate clients. We just did one for salesforce.com We've done HP, microsoft, and others. We eat their food, play the same music, and take the dough. They either like you or they don't. Don't matter much either way.

Probably underbid it, but didn't know who the client was until
after
we submitted the bid...(haha...smart on their part obviously)

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Update:

Played this gig last night. HELLA fun and easy.

They wanted us to play outdoors on a deck outside a resort which has a strict noise-cutoff time of 10PM. So we were scheduled to play one set from 8:30 to 10. As usual with these sorts of events, it ran late and we didn't get started until about 9:15. We kept playing until about 10:30 when the cops finally came and shut us down.

Great audience response. The guests were from the Global Real Estate division of the company so there were people from all around the world and they were ready to dance. Majority of people were well under 40 and the response was good. We slammed them with mostly newer dance tunes and 80s classics and they treated it like a rock concert. Had them screaming for us to play more after we'd be shut down. Playing for crowds like that NEVER gets old!

Best news was the 2 girls who organized the event from Google in California loved the band and went on for quite a while afterwards about how they want to use us for future events and how they want to help promote the band through their GooglePlus sites and such. Pretty cool night overall.

Strange tidbit---first gig I've ever done where they wanted to pay us via Paypal. :freak:

attachment.php?attachmentid=338925&d=131

• Members

Here's a funny. We've been contacted in the past by the HR department at IBM (headquartered here in Amronk) to play an annual picnic event on a Friday in September for new hires. The event is 2-5pm, during a work day, they provide no PA: Pay- $0... seriously. $0. They have absolutely $0 budget for entertainment. They just want to see if we'd play for... well it can't be exposure (there are alot of India born engineers with families who aren't going to come out to see us.

Needless to say we decline it every year.
;)

LOL.. good ole' Armonk Headquarters. My company has field techs there who support their printers and copiers. I provide remote printer support for the Learning Center.

• Members

Update:

Played this gig last night. HELLA fun and easy.

They wanted us to play outdoors on a deck outside a resort which has a strict noise-cutoff time of 10PM. So we were scheduled to play one set from 8:30 to 10. As usual with these sorts of events, it ran late and we didn't get started until about 9:15. We kept playing until about 10:30 when the cops finally came and shut us down.

Great audience response. The guests were from the Global Real Estate division of the company so there were people from all around the world and they were ready to dance. Majority of people were well under 40 and the response was good. We slammed them with mostly newer dance tunes and 80s classics and they treated it like a rock concert. Had them screaming for us to play more after we'd be shut down. Playing for crowds like that NEVER gets old!

Best news was the 2 girls who organized the event from Google in California loved the band and went on for quite a while afterwards about how they want to use us for future events and how they want to help promote the band through their GooglePlus sites and such. Pretty cool night overall.

Strange tidbit---first gig I've ever done where they wanted to pay us via Paypal.
:freak:

attachment.php?attachmentid=338925&d=131

Man this sounds like it was awesome! Congrats!

• Members

Couple of updates:

We booked this gig through Gigmasters and here is the review we got from the client:

Client Feedback

JumpStart made our party so much fun! They are high energy, have a great playlist and sound incredible! They are so talented and everyone had the time of their life. I can't thank the band enough for not only being professional and easy to work with, but amazing performers! I would absolutely hire them again and recommend them to everyone! If you want everyone at your event to have fun, hire JumpStart!

Customer Ratings

On a scale of 1 to 5 (1=lowest, 5=highest), how would you rate Jumpstart in terms of their professionalism? 5

On a scale of 1 to 5 (1=lowest, 5=highest), how would you rate Jumpstart in terms of their overall talent? 5

On a scale of 1 to 5 (1=lowest, 5=highest), how accommodating was Jumpstart in handling special requests for your event? 5

On a scale of 1 to 5 (1=lowest, 5=highest), how strongly would you recommend Jumpstart to a friend? 5

And finally, on a scale of 1 to 5 (1=lowest, 5=highest), how would you rate your overall satisfaction with Jumpstart? 5

More interesting though, is we got an email from Gigmasters who got word of the gig (not exactly sure how since I don't think "Google" was mentioned anywhere in the correspondance we had with the client via Gigmasters....) and they want to make a big deal about the gig and our band and how successful it was on their website and blogs. Apparently they want to try to capitalize on the fact that such a big client used their site to find a band for their event.

Not sure how or if that will directly translate into more/better gigs for us, but it's pretty cool nonetheless. All part of the Building-Of-The-Brand process!

• Members

That's awesome David! Congrats! It just shows that an ongoing commitment to excellence keeps leading to bigger and better things.

Thanks for that.

We seem to be hitting our stride lately and it's been a lot of fun doing all these gigs and seeing people be so entertained by what seems pretty-easy-work to us at this point.

But part of the fun is working to push the band to a higher level and seeing the positive results from that. Just makes me want to keep going.

• Members

Another update:

Gigmasters came through on their blog for us. Grant talks often about the benefits of cooperative relationships with clients and advertisers, and while he is certainly 100% correct on that, the nature of my particular band doesn't really lend us to those sorts of opportunities. So it was nice to see somebody else (besides me...haha) do some nice promo in a manner that will hopefully benefit both us AND them.

http://blog.gigmasters.com/google-searches-gigmasters-finds-jumpstart-the-life-of-their-party/

If I had known they were going to do this, I'd have made sure we had some better pictures and video to give them... but it is what it is. We're a bit hit-and-miss in terms of pics and vid at gigs. If we aren't able to have a decent photographer (usually just somebody's spouse as it is) along with us, then we just rely on whatever-pics one of us in the band manages to snap during a song. And we rarely (if ever) shoot video for anything more than just our own personal use in mind. Maybe this is a lesson learned that we should always be more on-top of that end of things. You never know when somebody is going to need/want some decent footage of an event.

Archived