So I'm new here

rhino55

• Members

So... I mainly hang out in guitar jam and the songwriter forum, but this spot seems like it might be fun to.

I play in mostly in original projects, whatever that means, but have the most fun playing sets that are at least 1/3 covers.

On average I gig a couple times a month. I'll also pick up cover gigs or church gigs if the money is right.

The most current project I'm fronting involves a horn section. When we add new material, they like to use music stands for charts until they memorize it. I don

• Members

So... I mainly hang out in guitar jam and the songwriter forum, but this spot seems like it might be fun to.

I play in mostly in original projects, whatever that means, but have the most fun playing sets that are at least 1/3 covers.

On average I gig a couple times a month. I'll also pick up cover gigs or church gigs if the money is right.

The most current project I'm fronting involves a horn section. When we add new material, they like to use music stands for charts until they memorize it. I don

• Members

You can also point out that cover bands are inferior to original ones. That always goes over well here
;)

Well duh... everybody knows that.

:p

Honestly, I see them as having different end goals and therefore different kinds of gigs. Subsequently, I don't think you can really compare them. Personally, I'm much more likely to go see a band that mainly performs their own material. The songs that band chooses to cover probably speak more about the band than the songs they've written

• Members

Welcome!

Fairly new here myself, been lurking for a few years though. Just don't post in that dad band thread, I'm waiting for that thing to die.......

die dad thread! die!

wait a second. I'm a dad. I'm not even 30, but I'm a dad. Where should I be on this?

• Members

right internet logic. hmm let me see.... {censored} it then... if you play covers you suck
:o

Is that better?

The Harmony (?) guitar in your avatar is purtty

How does everyone feel about new music that is done in an older style

die dad thread! die!

wait a second. I'm a dad. I'm not even 30, but I'm a dad. Where should I be on this?

Hmmm.. I think that means that you *could* be a dad. Do you play older covers and won't add any (or at least very much) newer material, even though you get paid to play old covers, love to play them, and it's what the audience wants to hear? I think the answer to this trumps age and whether you actually have children. Bonus points for bad fashion sense.

• Members

Hmmm.. I think that means that you *could* be a dad. Do you play older covers and won't add any (or at least very much) newer material, even though you get paid to play old covers, love to play them, and it's what the audience wants to hear? I think the answer to this trumps age and whether you actually have children. Bonus points for bad fashion sense.

In this case I don't do dad rock

Die dad thread! Die!!

• Members

Welcome. Now please post your setlist so we can rip it to shreds!
;)

ummm... I would, but I don't think it would make much sense because most of the songs are tunes I've written. I wish you knew them enough to make fun of them. We also do alot of traditional pieces like Will the Circle Be Unbroken, Little Lisa Jane, St James Infirmary etc...

• Members

Do you happen to wear a bathrobe when you perform? That has been missing here for a while. Do you believe that you should physically fight the people at the open jam to prove you are better then they are? rhino, I love to hear some of your original stuff since the stuff you cover is pretty cool. Haven't heard a live band do St James Infirmary in years... I'm a Chicago blues guy deep in my heart.

• Members

Do you happen to wear a bathrobe when you perform? That has been missing here for a while. Do you believe that you should physically fight the people at the open jam to prove you are better then they are? rhino, I love to hear some of your original stuff since the stuff you cover is pretty cool. Haven't heard a live band do St James Infirmary in years... I'm a Chicago blues guy deep in my heart.

No but maybe I should. When our album drops, I'm considering getting matching suits for the fall.

I find that staring them down with the super macho I'm a better guitar player with a bigger dick face usually works, but if that doesnt do the trick then I'm not above whipping them with used guitar strings.

I haven't written a song that good yet, but there are a couple of my website

The first 3 are with the full band. The last one was a from a scaled down (just 3 of us) gig that somebody happened to tape.

Hope you enjoy!

Archived