Lost a venue - not because of performance...

mstreck

• Members

I don't know... The girl who booked us is a musician and knows what PA feedback is. Everyone there was either dancing or telling us how great we were. There were boos when we announced that we had to stop around 12:15. I can usually tell when a crowd isn't into us - this wasn't one of those nights.

Total disconnects between what happened one night and the reaction of the management can happen. When things just totally make no sense it's also possible you are being lied to or the facts are being misrepresented, either directly or indirectly.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Total disconnects between what happened one night and the reaction of the management can happen. When things just totally make no sense it's also possible you are being lied to or the facts are being misrepresented, either directly or indirectly.

Oh so true!

Rod

• Members

Eh, at this point it's whatever... the same girl booked us in another venue that's OK with us being loud from 9 - 1, we can take our "long" breaks, and the staff will be there until 3AM so there is no rush getting loaded out in an hour (I checked on all of the above).

Time to move on...

• Members

Sometimes we forget to ask the easiest questions when booking a gig. Like, what time do we start and stop? Been there before. Still, 10 minute breaks and 9-12, you can't play 1hr sets that way. You'd have to go 9-950, 10-1050- and 11-12. 10 minutes is barely time to take a leak.

yea -- for 3 hours gigs, i usually plan for 2, 1 hour and 15 minute sets with one 30 minute break. you can always cut the break to 20 minutes if it looks like you might be loosing the crowed, or you get a dirty look from the bar manager. that way everybody has a chance to relieve, and get a drink or have a smoke.

it could just be that they were making up excuses to justify cutting ties with the band, when the decision was purely economic

• Members
Not
musical
performance - it was more miscommunication than anything. All of those issues (except the feedback) could have easily been avoided had we known that they were "issues" in the first place.

Our normal routine is to play dance music during our
breaks (25-30 minutes),
which we did and people were dancing to it. No one was leaving and the bar was lined with people ordering drinks. The owner was sitting there and told us we needed to go back on right when the last song on the break playlist started - and we did. But he never said anything about 10 minute breaks.

Normal operation for bars in DE is until 1:00 and we usually play until at least 1:00 (and are often encouraged to play later). We had everything packed up and out of the place by 1:15 - an hour after we stopped playing. Seems rather reasonable to me.
:idk:

Seriously, if someone would have just said "You play 9 - 12 with 10 minute breaks" we would have done exactly that.

Those are some long breaks, wouldn't fly in clubs around here. Usually 15 minutes at most......

Archived