Getting your band's name across on stage

Small Stone

• Members

So we recently did a gig which was a bit under-publicised, like the promoters didn't really anounced real well that we were on the bill (they have NO website, and if they did advertising, I sure didn't see it...).

Anyway, the show went pretty well and we made lots of new fans, but one constructive criticism we got was that people in the crowd couldn't know our band's name.

We used to have a banner in the old days, but it was often a PITA to set up (when we could actually set it up!). We also had the name on the bassdrum head, which I think is neat (but on saturday's gig, there was an amp from the other band right in front of it...).

I've also seen a band use dark clothes over their cab grills, with their name spray painted on it. Pretty cool!

So, what I want to know is: do you know other cool, creative, non-cheesy ways of having your band's name across on stage so anyone can see it and remember it?

Thanks! :wave:

• Members

We've got the logo on the kick drum as well, but I find that business cards work better. If you just have a banner they may remember your name for that night, but when they wake up with a hangover they won't have a clue. At least with a business card they can stick it in their pocket, wallet, whatever. Eventually they'll find it again and trigger some sort of memory :thu:

Before a show I usually put a couple of cards on each table, a stack at the front of the stage, a few small stacks around the bar, etc. We order these mini business cards:

http://www.123print.com/Mini-Business-Cards

• Members

We've got the logo on the kick drum as well, but I find that business cards work better. If you just have a banner they may remember your name for that night, but when they wake up with a hangover they won't have a clue. At least with a business card they can stick it in their pocket, wallet, whatever. Eventually they'll find it again and trigger some sort of memory
:thu:

Before a show I usually put a couple of cards on each table, a stack at the front of the stage, a few small stacks around the bar, etc. We order these mini business cards:

http://www.123print.com/Mini-Business-Cards

Good idea too! I thought about doing that, but with custom made guitar picks instead of business cards (because it's more rock'n'roll).

The problem with business cards, is that you can't hand one to each and every crowd members, especially when you are playing a festival type gig.

Okay, I'm brainstorming as I type, here, but I just thought about having custom made beer mats at the bar, that would be kinda cool!

Anyway, this thread is more about band name FROM THE STAGE. This is very helpful so far, more ideas, please!

• Members

Never heard that one.

Well absent a banner and a clear view to the kick drum head and any other excuse you can come up with, what other reason could there be for an audience to NOT know the name of the band who just played?

-My side project has a graphic banner with the band name clearly legible and I use a custom logo kick drum head.

-My primary band has a banner with ONLY the band name in a huge font (and I'll be getting a custom kick head in the next month or so as well.

I'll be damned if I'd let the frontmen in either band get away with not mentioning the band's name repeatedly each set. This is Band Promo 101. MAKE SURE the audience knows who you are and don't be passive (i.e., rely on banners and other static objects) about it.

Cards on tables pre-show are a good idea; primary band does larger cards, but I'd also suggest refreshing where you put them during breaks (And make sure to ploice what's left up at the end of the gig, too)

• Members

I haven't done this yet, but I'm strongly considering the idea of making a banner that I can drape across the front of my keyboard stand.

It will serve two purposes that way:

1. Let people know the name of the band and that we're on Facebook.

2. Hide the cords and other distracting stuff underneath the keyboard. :thu:

And that way, I won't have to keep telling people our band name, which annoys some and befuddles others. :lol:

• Members

We've got a few different banners, done business cards, guitar picks, free CDs, T-shirts, etc, etc, etc. We've also hung a T-shirt over a music stand or from the keyboard stand. That helped to both advertise the band AND sell our merch!

Of course, one of our singers announces who we are several times throughout the gig as well, which is probably the most effective means.

Freebie sign given to us by a local music rag:

DSC_0037.jpg

Drum head:

IMG_0056.jpg

Small banner (sooo shiny :facepalm: )

Chain_Reaction_05312008_-_Harley_Davidso

HUGE banner (10'x4') attached to a PVC frame that the drummer made:

DSCN1590.jpg

One of the clubs here has a DVD player/ projector setup, so I made up an animation out of our logo & a few pics that went over pretty well, though it was a little hard to see when stage the lights were up:

5-22-09__89_.jpg

• Members

I'll be damned if I'd let the frontmen in either band get away with not mentioning the band's name repeatedly
each set
. This is Band Promo 101. MAKE SURE the audience knows who you are and don't be passive (i.e., rely on banners and other static objects) about it.

If I start hearing our band's name too much during the set, that's a pretty clear indicator to me that we're taking too long between songs.

• Members

Well, it goes without saying that we mentioned our band name several times, and yet, people asked who we were. I guess some people are more visual, or came midway through the show.

Having the visual helps as a reminder and can be, if done well, a nice visual gimmick.

• Members

Well, it goes without saying that we mentioned our band name several times, and yet, people asked who we were. I guess some people are more visual,
or came midway through the show

So you only mention the band name at the beginning/first half of the show?

• Members

If I start hearing our band's name too much during the set, that's a pretty clear indicator to me that we're taking too long between songs.

I have no argument against this, but that's another issue altogether, as is understanding what/where "too much" lies:

IMO, in a 45-60 minute set, there's at least 3 opportunities for dropping the band's name (at/near beginning, middle, at/near end) as a 'stand-alone (As in "Good evening, we're "XXX..."; "Once again, we're "XXX"...; "Thanks, we're "XXX" and we'll be back in 15") without it being a huge issue.

Obviously you can also get the band name when by pimping your website ("www."XXXrocksyourmomshouse.com"), mailing lists, upcoming gigs, etc.

Key is to make it quick and natural, not interrupt the flow of the show, etc.

• Members

I have no argument against this, but that's another issue altogether, as is understanding what/where "too much" lies:

IMO, in a 45-60 minute set, there's
at least
3 opportunities for dropping the band's name (at/near beginning, middle, at/near end) as a 'stand-alone (As in "Good evening, we're "XXX..."; "Once again, we're "XXX"...; "Thanks, we're "XXX" and we'll be back in 15") without it being a huge issue.

Obviously you can also get the band name when by pimping your website ("www."XXXrocksyourmomshouse.com"), mailing lists, upcoming gigs, etc.

Key is to make it quick and natural, not interrupt the flow of the show, etc.

I agree

It's the group's responsibility to announce who they are and make the crowd remember who they are seeing.

Old school tactic, every 3-4 songs

• Members

Guido you are assuming that EVERYONE is listening and watching at every second

but while you are playing there are :

calls and texts

beer runs for the ladyfriend

conversations

hookups

slightly more than half of what happens onstage is grasped by the audience.....

Banners~yes

drum bass head~yes

Marque~hopefully

merch table~yes

announcing from stage~ every 3-4 songs unless you are The Rolling Stones

• Members

announcing from stage~ every 3-4 songs unless you are The Rolling Stones

Exactly: my opinion is you should actively (not passively; see my above post) announce who the band is...until you don't need to anymore.

• Members

Get a little audience participation. Announce your band name a time or two during the set, then at the end of the set say "what's our name" in your best Samuel L. Jackson voice.

If the audience correctly answers, you know it's getting through. If not, say your band name again. Rinse and repeat for each set until the audience gets it.:thu:

• Members

Business cards are a GREAT tool. We are CONSTANTLY getting requests for them.

Cloth banners draped across foldbacks (facing the crowd obviously) are an idea. You can get custom speaker cloth/grills with your band name/logo on them.

Banners across the back of the stage (providing you have your own system to hang it - not relying on the club to have something you can hang it from).

Microphones/your voice.

Guitar pics to throw out to the crowd.

Posters

T-Shirts.

There's plenty of ways - they dont ENSURE people will remember you - but they give you a better shot than nothing.

• Members

So we recently did a gig which was a bit under-publicised, like the promoters didn't really anounced real well that we were on the bill (they have NO website, and if they did advertising, I sure didn't see it...).

Anyway, the show went pretty well and we made lots of new fans, but one constructive criticism we got was that people in the crowd couldn't know our band's name.

We used to have a banner in the old days, but it was often a PITA to set up (when we could actually set it up!). We also had the name on the bassdrum head, which I think is neat (but on saturday's gig, there was an amp from the other band right in front of it...).

Get the banner set up or move the amp. It shouldn't be that difficult. You could have a couple of different size banners to suit different size venues.

Archived