Hey Bass Players

Remedy

• Members

Whats the best bass unit for going direct to pa.?

Im a part time bass player, mostly play guitar in a 3 piece, gigging every weekend,

We are currently using a GK head and big fridge, the plan is to trim down and go direct with bass and direct with a line 6 hd500 for guitar

will it sound as good?

Ive tried going direct from the gk head and its ok, not great. will a modeller sound better direct than the gk head direct?

which one is best?

I want to have a few different sounds, maybe a fuzz, synthy sound a rock sound and a clean sound. Im a bit of a bass noob, so any advice appreciated.

anyone having success with going direct?

• Members

What GK head are you using? I go direct with my GK and can get all of the tone/volume that I need. Perhaps you were sending the signal pre-eq? Let me know what type of head and bass as well as what type of music. I do know that once I was going direct and the P.A. had no low end crossover and the bass got lost in the mix. Lots of different factors to be considered but to me the head will sound better than almost any processor. YMMV

• Members

A POD X3 Live has been my weapon of choice since 2008. I really only ever run direct these days. I have a bass patch that's a combo of an SWR model and a DI model (I think it's their model of an API preamp) that's my main tone, and I have a fuzz, a mu-tron, and a boost effect (via the compressor) on the "pedals". I run straight to the mixing board via an XLR. If I need some more stage volume, I either use a powered wedge or a bass combo via the 1/4" output (and set that as the only output controlled by the volume knob on the X3 Live - a feature sorely missed on the HD, I might add). Works great, sounds great...only mild complaint is you don't get the "pant flap" you get with a big amp, but I don't really miss that all that much because I like hearing things and was never that loud of a bassist to begin with.

I have an HD500 as well and am anxiously hoping they release model packs for it with bass amps and cabs. It sounds so great for guitar the bass sims should be amazing. I haven't had much luck tweaking a great bass sound with it, otherwise it'd be my rig already.

But as for the X3 Live, you can get them super cheap these days on Craigslist and stuff, so I'd give it a shot if I were you. Or you can get a regular X3 or XT and lose that "control your stage monitor volume from the POD" capability.

I really like the sound of the Tech 21 stuff, too, if you don't want to spend extra for a bunch of features you probably won't use, and want the same portability. And if you just want a great DI tone, Radial makes some awesome ones.

Brian V.

• Members

Our bass player uses a Markbass Mini CMD 121P 1x12 Bass Combo Amp... It weighs a whopping 29lbs, does have DI and is plenty loud enough for us.

Plus there is the added bonus that you can form a Stryper tribute band with it. :D

• Moderators

Our bass player uses a Markbass Mini CMD 121P 1x12 Bass Combo Amp... It weighs a whopping 29lbs, does have DI and is plenty loud enough for us.

Plus there is the added bonus that you can form a Stryper tribute band with it.
:D

Hah!^ Nice Stryper reference!

• Moderators

A POD X3 Live has been my weapon of choice since 2008. I really only ever run direct these days. I have a bass patch that's a combo of an SWR model and a DI model (I think it's their model of an API preamp)

I actually use an API A2D for my bass pre. Of course, it's not really cost effective... :)

Archived