Gibson guitar plants in Nashville and Memphis raided by federal agents

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dude. Not a good bet. In my experience, virtually any real pro player will have some custom electronics or setup on guitars they play on a regular basis.

Well sure, if they have a good full time tech on the road or a particular shop that specializes but that's different than saying that the guitar didn't come off a shelf at a music store. I'm not a pro but I could take one of my guitars to a technician other than myself and say, hey, put in these other pickups for me.

I wish I could provide details but I know I've read articles where these guys will go and buy a guitar off the rack to take on the road so that their favorites don't run the risk of being damaged or stolen.

Also you gotta figure there are a lot of up and coming acts as well as past their prime acts out there that don't have stadium budgets.

• Members

I shouldn't have to mention, but I will for the benefit of those who laugh and/or scoff at me, that there is a HUGE base of professional guitarists who play Gibsons almost exclusively. From Chuck Berry to Slash, Carl Perkins to Larry Carlton. Jimmy Page, Ted Nugent, Joe Perry, Alex Lifeson, Sammy Hagar.......are you kidding, I could go on for days!

I's be curious how many of them are playing Gibsons newer than 10 years old. I'd bet damn few. Every article I've ever read about most of these guys, they're playing guitars from the 50s, 60s and 70s.

I had a '74 LP, loved it. Played it for 6 years and wish I'd have never traded it. I also played a '79 335 for a few years. But seriously, the new ones I looked at just didn't measure up in any way-not soundwise, not in fit and finish, not in the feel of the frets. To each his own- if you're happy with the new ones, more power to ya. But who am I gonna believe, you or my lyin' eyes? :lol:

• Members

if you're happy with the new ones, more power to ya. But who am I gonna believe, you or my lyin' eyes?
:lol:

Well the newest Gibson I own is a '76 but as I mentioned, I tried out some new ones just a couple years ago while at the Gibson Memphis factory. They were some beautiful looking guitars and played nice. Now if I'd have bought one I would have had to spend some time setting it up to my liking but I've had to do that with every guitar I've ever owned. The SG in my avatar is one I'd traded a Strat for. It was a '72 I believe and I'd still have it if the original owners brother hadn't hunted me down to buy it back. He wanted to give it back to the brother for xmas so I let him have it for a fair price.

I've been thinking I'd like a new SG and they're only $1200 so perhaps it's time to take a trip to GC and check the quality we got right here in my own neighborhood.

I know that Alex Lifeson has a newly designed LP that's in production now and available off the rack and Sammy Hagar also has an Explorer that, if it isn't available yet, should be soon. I'd expect these guitars to be top notch but, of course, they'll cost a bit more than the standard models.

• Members

Screw popular opinion or what others think, I'll stand by them if I'm the last guy on the forum.

Sure. That's fine. They are hunks of wood with wires on them. And you like them. And that's cool. It is your hard earned cash. Enjoy.

But don't go all 'winners and losers' on everybody cuz they point out that the guy is getting busted for illegal shenanigans. You play and love a guitar that is built by a company run by cruel, greedy, businessman of low moral character. That doesn't make you a bad guy. But don't discount the facts: he has done some low down {censored} and is widely known in MI as a jackass with deep pockets.

If it looks like a skunk, walks like a skunk, and smells like a skunk....it is a skunk. Even if you like the guitars the skunk builds.

But I put people over guitars.....so no new Gibbys for me.

• Members

????? It's been years since their quality fell off the chart. Do you happen to work for their PR department or are you just extremely lucky with your purchases?

Actually, they are producing some fantastic stuff right now. You just have to play them to find the gems, just like you always have.

The vintage stuff was just as hit or miss as the new stuff is, even worse at times. I have a 76 that is great, I'd love to get another one just like it. I've also owned a 78 that was a turd, a 73 that was ok, but nothing special and a 92 or so that was decent but not spectacular. My 2011 traditional pro sounds, and plays, as well as anything I have owned. I played a dozen or so before I fell in love with this one, but that's no different than any other purchase I've made over the years.

• Members

One of my friends went to work at Gibson and he was really excited about it.... then he got there... and he said it totally sucked and that all that he had thought about Gibson... you know, that whole image that he had about them, was completely destroyed. He told me that if her were forced to buy something from them that he would buy an Epiphone Les Paul, because at least then he wouldn't be taking a major loss on buying "the real thing"(which he felt was no better than the Epiphone model.)

• Members

But don't go all 'winners and losers' on everybody cuz they point out that the guy is getting busted for illegal shenanigans. You play and love a guitar that is built by a company run by cruel, greedy, businessman of low moral character. That doesn't make you a bad guy. But don't discount the facts: he has done some low down {censored} and is widely known in MI as a jackass with deep pockets.

If it looks like a skunk, walks like a skunk, and smells like a skunk....it is a skunk. Even if you like the guitars the skunk builds.

But I put people over guitars.....so no new Gibbys for me.

Dude, I can't resurrect Orville and I don't know the Polish guy from Hannibal Lecter. If people don't like working for him.......quit. Sounds like the man's got bigger problems because if the gov'ment takes a disliking to you, you're going down.

I just like Gibson guitars and I hope they can stay afloat.:idk:

• Members

there is a HUGE base of professional guitarists who play Gibsons almost exclusively. From Chuck Berry to Slash, Carl Perkins to Larry Carlton. Jimmy Page, Ted Nugent, Joe Perry, Alex Lifeson, Sammy Hagar.......are you kidding, I could go on for days!

How many of those guys are playing brand new Gibson guitars? You know, like the ones that are hanging in your local music store? Maybe for stuff to get screwed up, but the odds are they aren't playing them on records.

• Members

How many of those guys are playing brand new Gibson guitars? You know, like the ones that are hanging in your local music store? Maybe for stuff to get screwed up, but the odds are they aren't playing them on records.

Why wouldn't they be, I mean, what exactly is the problem with them????

Guitar building isn't rocket science, you try one out and if the thing plays well and sounds good, you use it. It's the same story with Fenders, Rickenbackers, PRS or any other American made guitar right?

• Members

I live about 10 miles from the Gibson plant in Montana. They make only acoustic guitars AFAIK and the ones I have heard sound great. One of the guitar players in my band has one and it sounds way better than a former singers Taylor. I also know 4 people who work at the plant that have been there for years and they take alot of pride in there work.

• Members

... It's the same story with Fenders, Rickenbackers, PRS or any other American made guitar right?

Nope. John Hall is a total dick. I won't play a Rick anymore either. Don't take it so personally. This is not an attack on you. You love your Gibsons. That is great. My comment about stock guitars pertains to ALL guitar manufacturers. I do not believe any touring pro uses a stock, off the shelf guitar. That is nothing against any manufacturer. I do not play Gibson's or Rickenbacker's anymore. I also don't play Hondo's, Carvin's or Sears' either. Now I only play Warwick or Lakland.

New Gibson's are made cheaper. They are lighter and have more issues with intonation and fret height. Quality control is lacking. That is not a problem that only Gibson is facing. If you like your guitar I'm happy for you. I was not attacking you. In my opinion, Gibson's are overpriced and poor quality. You disagree. I'm fine with that. Getting your panties in a bunch like we are picking on your little brother is a little out there, though.

• Members

Actually, they are producing some fantastic stuff right now. You just have to play them to find the gems, just like you always have.

... this is my issue with the Gibsons I've played, including the couple I've owned, many owned by friends, as well as the multitude I've played in shops including the Memphis factory store. I understand that every guitar will be slightly different, but the idea that I need to weed out the weaklings on a $3,800 LP custom strikes me as absurd. That price, FWIW, is a four-fold increase in the original price with inflation taken out of the equasion.

Generally speaking, the Customs I've played were reliably good & some were excellent. But I'm not paying $3800 for "good" and don't feel the need to hunt for excellent when I can get a reliably excellent guitar of comparable specs for that (or less) from a dozen other builders.

The Standards I've played were hit & miss (on a $2000 guitar. Seriously?) and the $1,300 Studios were mostly "miss."

I've played too many others of comparable price, respectively, that were as good or better instruments.

My .02

• Members

So when Billy custom orders three identical LPs, made by the best guys at Gibson, only to send two back...what does that tell you.

The big boys cherry pick......

It's been my experience that your getting lucky if you can find a decent guitar at a music store at least by grail tone standards, and chances are you will pay through the nose for it.

• Members

Don't take it so personally. This is not an attack on you.

I was not attacking you.

Getting your panties in a bunch like we are picking on your little brother is a little out there, though.

Hehe, don't ever think I'm not just having fun here. If I was the sensitive type I wouldn't even show up!

• Members

If Gibson fans are loyal, Rickenbacker fans are downright rabid.

I used to be there. I had a new 5 string on order for about 18 months and they cancelled all orders when they realized they couldn't figure out how to get better coverage from their pickups. I've had a half dozen Rick basses including a 5 string conversion I absolutely loved. Then they cancel my (and all other) 5 string orders and it took me another 7 months to get my deposit back. I'll never even pick up another Rick. John Hall hates everything Apple, too. Just another reason he is a dip wad.

I used to own an old SG bass that I liked but I was totally turned off by newer Gibson basses. They just started feeling cheap to me. The cost a lot more but they felt cheap and flimsy. Picked up a Warwick and that is pretty much where I currently am.

• Members

Gibson bought the Kramer brandname, did "reissue" models for $5x the original prices, 1/4 the original quality. For that alone, that dude should have been drawn and quartered.

I've seen tons of posts on the guitar forum over the years where someone got their "NGD!!!" custom LP's only to find crooked bindings, un-filed fret ends, blantant imperfections in the finish, crooked necks, weak / cracked nuts, and even faulty pots or electronics...

Like another poster said.. I buy Agile LP copies.. many are made to original LP specs and while not perfect, just about as good as anything gibby puts out. I did have to replace the Agile pups, but damn, my Agile is one of my best guitars.. for $199 new.

• Members

I've never owned a Gibson, but from what I've observed as a participant in various on-line forums is that for every Gibson basher there is a staunch Gibson enthusiast. It's too subjective a thing...guitar quality that is....and a bunch of personal anecdotes doesn't sway me one way or another.

I can tell you though that I once walked into GC with $1500 dollars with the pupose of buying a Les Paul and after playing half a dozen or so of them walked out of there with a $ 600 Takamine acoustic that is my favorite guitar to play now.

I own two Gibsons, and maybe that's why I'm so passionate about the lower standards I find on the newer stuff. There's no way I'm taking my 1963 335 to bar gigs, so I looked for a suitable replacement. After trying dozens of new Gibson 335s, including custom shop ones, I can say without reservation that Heritage currently makes a vastly superior 335 for less money. By way of comparison, so do a dozen other manufacturers. Collings, Taylor and Carvin are three other US-made 335-styles that blow the Nashville stuff away.

• Members

I live about 10 miles from the Gibson plant in Montana. They make only acoustic guitars AFAIK and the ones I have heard sound great. One of the guitar players in my band has one and it sounds way better than a former singers Taylor. I also know 4 people who work at the plant that have been there for years and they take alot of pride in there work.

That's great. On the other hand, a girl I do a duo with has a new Gibson Hummingbird and my lowly 500 dollar Seagull blows it away in playability, tone and sound.

• Members
I've seen tons of posts on the guitar forum over the years where someone got their "NGD!!!" custom LP's only to find crooked bindings, un-filed fret ends, blantant imperfections in the finish, crooked necks, weak / cracked nuts, and even faulty pots or electronics...

....but at least they ought to take comfort in the fact that there is some endangered species of plant or animal life represented somewhere inside their {censored}ty guitars!!

hmmm, maybe my crappy Yamaha MM6 keyboard with the faulty LED was made with real ivory keys...:D

• Members

the number one problem for any brand/make/model guitar going out of tune is improper intonation. You get a guitar set up properly and that sucker will stay in tune for days.

No offense but that is total BS dude. Different guitars are absolutely more temperamental than others to humidity, temperature, and lots of other things, all the way down to just getting a bump on the neck. Not to mention mechanical stuff like trems, different tuners, etc. All that makes a huge difference with a guitar's ability to stay in tune. And when a guitar has a problem with "staying in tune," it's generally a problem with open tuning not the intonation going out. And from my experience, Gibsons are very temperamental. Sneeze or scratch your ass around them and they're out...

I'll put my '91 Epi LP up against any new stock Gibson in any category except for having the "cooler" name on the headstock. Grover tuners, a '59 pickup in the neck and a JB in the bridge, graphite nut and saddles, and a better playing neck and more level frets than 75% of the Gibsons I'd find off the shelf. That guitar is solid as a rock and sounds just as good or better than any stock Gibson. It literally stays in tune for gigs at a time. Our singer's 2009 SG stays in tune for songs at a time (if he's lucky).

• Members

That's great. On the other hand, a girl I do a duo with has a new Gibson Hummingbird and my lowly 500 dollar Seagull blows it away in playability, tone and sound.

That could be a bad seed or something though...

Hands down the most amazing acoustic I've ever played was a Gibson. I can't remember the model or whatever but that thing was like heaven in my hands. A totally amazing guitar. If I played acoustic enough to justify it I would've bought it. I think it was about $3k.

Archived