I don't want to gig tonight

GCDEF

• Members

I think I'd rather just stay home and watch TV. Up at 5am this morning, work all day, go home load the car, set up, play for 4 hours, tear down. Won't get home till 3:30 tonight. Somebody hand me the 5 hour energy. I'm getting too old for this.

• Members

I hope I never see the day I don't want to go to a gig. I had similar days last spring where I was up at 6AM, worked outside in cranky weather til 6PM then changed and ran to gig til 2-3AM.. even then, although tired and miserable, I will STILL excited to gig.. I love playing out. The only time I DONT want to gig is when it's for no pay (which I really don't do anymore)

• Members

ahhhh....you'll get there and start playing and remember why you do this in the first place.:thu:

But if you DO happen to start playing and wishing you weren't there and not enjoying it, then maybe it is time to hang it up for a while.

Burnout happens.

• Members

I still enjoy it. Yeah sure there are some shows I look forward to more than others. The shows I don't look forward to is usually cuz the load in/out sucks and that has nothing to do with playing the gig. I always enjoy playing.

• Members

I'm sure there must have been days I haven't wanted to gig over the years, but offhand I can't think of any unless I've been really sick or something like that.

Gigging is still the best part of my week. As soon as I don't feel like gigging anymore, I'm outta here.

I'm just tired, that's all. Not looking to the physical work involved. Not ready to quit for good or anything.

• Members

I'm coming back after a 1 1/2 break. I'm in and the next practice is Sunday.

Good for you bro. A life in art takes many forms. Nothing wrong with chillin.

In fact I have a friend who just got fed up and burnt out, and sold all his gear and quit. Cold turkey; just said {censored} it. A couple months later he got another job states away. That was 3 years ago. He called me up and said he was coming in town and wanted to jam. He said after a 2 year lay off, he bought a tenor sax on a whim. And while he was a really good guitarist and singer, he is a KILLER sax player. He says he "doesn't play any of that rock and roll anymore."

We jammed real book tunes and had a ball......waaaay better at sax....who'd a thunk it!

• Members

I'm just tired, that's all. Not looking to the physical work involved. Not ready to quit for good or anything.

I have been hitting it hard with the band stuff too. I am tired, but I am going to cut back on the playing till the winter texas start to show up. been doing 5 nights a week ,,, and am going to cut back to three. Sept is a slow month at the digg. The guy we play for is going to be in austin for 10 days crankin out the next CD in sept ,, our lead players wife is getting a rotator cuff fixed,, and I got a boat to finish up. I have a new keyboard comming ,, so I am gonna spend some time in the woodshed getting used to the new board and I have some songs off the first two CDs I want to actually spend to come up with keyboard parts. We dont do alot of that stuff and I have been neck hawkin my way through it.

• Members

for once, that makes two of us...

Band in which I play drums had our CD release party/Show last night. I'm on 4 hours of sleep and I have to sing tonight at my regular gig and we have a sub drummer and he haven't rehearsed. Not to mention we haven't played in a month and there will be {censored}loads of rust. Bah.

• Members

Sometimes its tough but we soldier on...worked all day yesterday, left work at 8:45pm, started singing at 9:30pm untill 12:30am and back at work at 9:00am...still here and prepping for the hurricane...I still love music and will sacrifice as much as I can to be able to do it! Sometimes it's tough but if we don't take gigs, promoters tend to not call you anymore...

Rod

• Members

I think there are many factors to burnout or just considering it a chore to set up all the gear and play. I was that way for a few years but my present band lineup has me refreshed and feeling like I would drive any distance and endure almost any conditions to play. Maybe you should do some soul searching and take an honest look at the factors that are making it a drag.

• Members

While I don't gig nearly as often these days, I can certainly sympathize with the OP; in fact, I had a similar situation myself last night.

Due to a combination of work stress, bull{censored} band drama, and going on one hour of sleep (nice, huh?), I had absolutely zero interest in playing. My overall demeanor was somewhere between ambivalence and complete apathy, and I was seriously questioning whether I really want to continue doing this.

To make matters worse....as we were loading in and setting up, the club manager (who had been in a pissy mood since the moment he walked in) starts harping on us about keeping our stage volume as low as possible. While he's on his rant, his head bartender (this gorgeous little brunette who has been with him since the club opened, and is a good friend of ours) walks up and mentions that they've run out of something. He gives her a flippant response...she shoots back a sarcastic response.....and within seconds, it's escalated into a full-scale screaming match across the room, in front of the rest of the staff, the band, and even a handful of customers. Next thing you know, he shouts at her that he's sick of her BS, she's f'ing fired, grab her {censored} and GTFO. And she did.

So we're not even set up yet, and already the evening is in utter turmoil, and everybody in the whole place is on edge.

But of course....as usually happens, when nothing is going right and the whole situation is seemingly on the verge of collapse, we go out and end up having a great time, and put together a pretty darned good gig. (By our standards, at least). We ended up seeing a bunch of friends we hadn't seen in a long time, and the whole thing turned out to be a really good time.

Go figure.

Archived