WTF, music stands on stage!!!

TheRinger

• Members

Ok I used to be in an 80's band back in the real 80's then kids came along and I took an extended hiatus. Recently got back into it again and I am seeing a disturbing trend with other bands. Suddenly it seems ok to have music stands up on stage during a show. To me, this is sacreligous. I'm not talking about keyboard players, I'm talking about bass players, singers, etc. I'm 42 and I can still remember all my parts to songs. There is no way on God's green earth that I would play with a music stand. Hopefully this is just a localized disease.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Please do a search of this forum and I think you'll see that this topic has been covered frequently, and the esteemed members of this forum have unanimously agreed that having music stands on stage is not only accepted but encouraged. ;)

• Members

Music stands = bush league.

We will hear all the excuses about people can't remember, too busy etc etc.

It's still bush league. I wouldn't be caught dead on stage with a music stand. If you have a music stand on stage, you don't need a music stand...

You need more practice.

• Members

Welcome to the amateurization of the music business. Newsflash: it hasn't been a pro occupation for 25 years. It's now officially a low-paying hobby, where apparently anything goes- cargo shorts and white shoes, tank tops, music stands, Peavey PA speakers on sticks, three light cans on a pole, and 35 year old set lists. So hey, why not music stands?

• Members

Welcome to the amateurization of the music business. Newsflash: it hasn't been a pro occupation for 25 years. It's now officially a low-paying hobby, where apparently anything goes- cargo shorts and white shoes, tank tops, music stands, Peavey PA speakers on sticks, three light cans on a pole, and 35 year old set lists. So hey, why not music stands?

Sadly, this is true.

Music stand away boys.

:facepalm:

• Members

I have NEVER used a music stand in a band situation, but i have a mini music stand attached to my mic stand for solo acts. This week I played four new songs, and Im alway taking requests from regular then learn the song for next weeks gig. Most of the newer ones I learn dont have much of a shelf life so I dont play them enough to learn the words. I suck I guess

• Members

I have NEVER used a music stand in a band situation, but i have a mini music stand attached to my mic stand for solo acts. This week I played four new songs, and Im alway taking requests from regular then learn the song for next weeks gig. Most of the newer ones I learn dont have much of a shelf life so I dont play them enough to learn the words. I suck I guess

Yep, when I'm doing my acoustic set, I use a really low music stand that sits about two feet high so when I'm sitting down I can see it but it isn't right in front of me. I usually play at least two new songs per gig and I have about 125 songs in rotation so sue me if I use a stand! Neither the people who hire me nor the patrons who tip me seem to mind.

• Members

Right there with ya. I suppose if I was playing the exact same 40 songs every gig in my solo show, I wouldn't need it. I've done that before. However, as a solo acoustic act, every show is different, and I don't use a predetermined setlist. I build my setlist on the fly from a catalog of 150-ish songs, and I'm always adding new material.

The most important reason I have a music stand on stage is because I keep my full songlist in front of me to choose the next song as I'm playing. Other than that, I might use the music stand for 3-4 songs per night. Usually it's for a song I've recently learned or one that I haven't played in a while.

I do agree with the fact that I wouldn't use one if I was in a band.

• Members

What a bunch of amateurs. Obviously they need more practice.

:facepalm:

Why is it every time this topic crops up, somebody tries to equate orchestral or ensemble musicians with the weekend rock band that the vast majority of this board is comprised of? That's not a relevant point.

• Members

Why is it every time this topic crops up, somebody tries to equate orchestral or ensemble musicians with the weekend rock band that the vast majority of this board is comprised of? That's not a relevant point.

I don't see why solo vs band matters. If you're playing from a large song list, don't play often - as in several times a week - and in some cases are playing relatively complex arrangements, the only difference I see is in your style of presentation. If it's a floor show, you've got work to do . . . . and I hope you're being well compensated.

There's also a difference between referring to a sheet, and sight reading.

• Members

He is trying to defend himself for using a stand in his weekend warrior cover band.

• Members

I don't see why solo vs band matters. If you're playing from a large song list, don't play often - as in several times a week - and in some cases are playing relatively complex arrangements, the only difference I see is in your style of presentation. If it's a floor show, you've got work to do . . . . and I hope you're being well compensated.

There's also a difference between referring to a sheet, and sight reading.

I don't think he was commenting on the solo vs group comments. It was the orchestra that Flemtone uploaded. Still no excuse for a weekend warrior cover band to use stands, period. Practice replaces stands. This is NOT for jazz or wedding groups that use fake or real books as part of their performance. This is the weekend warrior band doing covers and needing help for chord changes or lyrics.

• Members

Practice replaces stands.

Well put!

Look it's really simple...If you want to be a well paid, well rehearsed, tight cover band, there's certain things you have to do. Learning the material well enough to play it by rote so you can start focusing on the performance aspect seems on the top of the list to me.

This thread is like watching NASCAR highlights to see the crashes. Somehow I just can't help myself!

• Members

Our band uses them, I wish we didn't but we do. Probably true that putting in some longer hours of practice might make them go away but we don't. We get a pretty good number of gigs at good venues. Never have we heard one word from an audience member, venue owner, guest musician sitting in, nobody---not once. Our philosophy is that it's better to have something to keep you on track than screw the song up. We don't stare at them, they're just there for a quick reminder during a problem part. Many songs we don't look at them at all. I do admire you guys who have a 100+ song list and don't need any reminders, I really do. However we have to do what we have to do to perform well, At this point that means music stands.

If I ever encounter a situation where we don't get a gig because of them, I guess I'll revisit that issue. As of right now, it has been a Zero factor. Some folks say it's amatuer to use them, yeah it probably is. I've no problem being labeled an amatuer. We don't perform for a living, we know we're not going to become famous some day, we all have "real" jobs that pay the bills. The music is just fun and people enjoy us. Can't find a problem with that.

• Members

Seriously...this thread
again???

:deadhorse:

I'm out!!

Give the OP a break! He's back into music after being out for a while and seeing music stands ticked him off, and he probably didn't do a search on HC to find out that this topic has been discussed to death, with no conclusion.

BTW I don't like shorts on stage either, I don't think it looks professional. However yesterday at our outdoors gig, three out of five of us were wearing shorts, so whatta ya gonna do? If some band leader can guarantee me enough money that I can quit my day job and just play music then I'll stop using a music stand, stop wearing shorts, stop drinking beer on stage, etc., etc., etc.,...........till then....:wave:

Archived