Rolling Stones Poll

JoeDirt

• Members

Worst song's of the 90's:

1.) "Barbie Girl", Aqua (1997)

2.) "Macarena", Los Del Rio (1995)

3.) "Achy Breaky Heart", Billy Ray Cyrus (1992)

4.) "Ice Ice Baby", Vanilla Ice (1990)

5.) "Tubthumping", Chumbawamba (1996)

6.) "MMMBop", Hanson (1997)

7.) "My Heart Will Go On", Celine Dion (1997)

8.) "Who Let the Dogs Out?", Baha Men (2000) (2000 is the 90's I guess..)

9.) "I'm Too Sexy", Right Said Fred (1991)

10.) "What's Up", 4 Non Blondes (1993)

The funny part is quite a few of those songs go over great on the bar scene. Maybe we should have them do more polls for us for future song selections?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/photos/readers-poll-the-worst-songs-of-the-nineties-20110831

• Members

The funny part is quite a few of those songs go over great on the bar scene. Maybe we should have them do more polls for us for future song selections?

Need to make a medley of those songs and send a vid to RS to see how well they go over performed live.

• Moderators

MMMBop is an awesome tune. I know it's kid rock but man... those kids were and are great. He sounds like Micheal's I'll Be There era.

[video=youtube;NHozn0YXAeE]

Taylor Hanson, the singer, has gone on to Tinted Windows. Power Pop with Bun E. Carlos (Cheap Trick), James Iha (Pumpkins) and Adam Schlesinger (Fountains of Wayne).

[video=youtube;c1acLwi-jos]

• Members

I would like to see some demographic information regarding RS's readership...or at least those that participated in the poll.

I'm thinking that their readership is possibly people that get more down "into the weeds" and are generally prone to look down their noses at "POP". No ? Just spitballin'

• Members

We have done or do a number of those tunes and they go over great!

I heard Hanson a couple years back on the Howard Stern show and they did a cover of a 3 Dog Night song - Never been to Spain. I was really impressed with their harmonies and they seemed to be more than just the Mmmm Bop boyz.

[video=youtube;56U6b3heTNc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56U6b3heTNc

• Members

Hmph.

The only song on that list I'd actually consider "bad," and even did at the time, was "Macarena." The SONG wasn't popular, but the dance was.

For those into radio at the time, did you recall hearing it on the radio often? I sure didn't. And just try singing along to it, gringos! :D

• Members

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/photos/readers-poll-the-worst-songs-of-the-nineties-20110831

The worst IMO:

"Achy Breaky Heart" . . . I mean come on, give me a ***ky wucky break, OK? :D

On the other side of the coin, I hate admitting this . . . :facepalm: we frequently open our first set with "What's Up" and I am perpetually astonished at the overwhelmingly good reception it gets from audiences of all sorts.

I guess H.L. Mencken was right when he said:

"No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

• Members

And let it not go unsaid......

....Rolling Stone is about CULTURE not music. Never has been. People on that staff throughout their history wouldn't know a major chord from a minor one if it bit them in the ass. And they claim to be about the music. But they are about culture and politics.

Remember the greatest guitarists list? Not enough :facepalm:

• Members

I love when a sell-out music mag like RS tries to differentiate good music from bad. That magazine hasn't been relevant in what....20 years or more?

This.

I'm surprised they are still around.

Off in the corner, next to High Times, I'm guessing.

:facepalm:

• Members

between the 2 bands here are the ones we cover (or did... or thought about)

3.) "Achy Breaky Heart", Billy Ray Cyrus (1992)- played it 2X (not my idea) the crowd groaned, we dropped it.

4.) "Ice Ice Baby", Vanilla Ice (1990)- we play 2 verses of it once in awhile when a girl we know gets drunk and wants to sing it. people dig it

5.) "Tubthumping", Chumbawamba (1996)- both bands play it.we added it last September I think. Goes over well!

6.) "MMMBop", Hanson (1997)- the trio plays it in a medley and the younger the crowd the better it does. the 20 somethings love it

9.) "I'm Too Sexy", Right Said Fred (1991)- tossed this one around but never tried it. probably wont but if we did it will be about a minute of the song and then more on.

10.) "What's Up", 4 Non Blondes (1993)- there have been requests for it but no one wants to learn it. :idk:

• Members

Rolling Stone is a complete joke, but I honestly couldn't put together a better 'worst' list if I tried, personally. Unless maybe you wanted to replace one of 'em with some Spin Doctors (ANY SD, actually).

But I'm not targeting the audiences that most of you are either. If not playing those songs keeps me out of the money or crowds some of you are seeing...I'm ok with that.

• Members

Do people still read RS? I found a copy stuck in the seat back on a flight from Ottawa last fall...it had an excerpt from Keith Richards' book, so I read that. The rest of the magazine? Blecch. Makes People Magazine look like Foreign Affairs.

As far as the list goes...a lot of bad songs on there. But I've done 'What's Up' to really good response (women LOVE singing along with it). 'MmmBop' is just a good pop song. 'Ice Ice Baby'...come on, it's a sample of 'Under Pressure'! Vanilla Ice notwithstanding, how bad can it be?

'Achy Breaky Heart', on the other hand...that's the only song I can ever remember that I flat out refused to play.

Archived