New Drummer

bnelly428

• Members

So we have a new drummer. We held auditions Monday and Tuesday nights and had a total of 6 guys. We gave everyone the same 4 songs to prepare and then they could shoot off a couple to "try out" us etc. We agreed upon the guy who we felt would compliment us and give us the best chance at being a smooth transition during this time.

We did have multiple offers from people willing to sit in until we figured it out. I decided not to go this route, because then you are working with 2 new people and the stress and aggravation goes up exponentially.

This new guy is my age, so much younger than our late drummer. We took the oppurtunity to apply a lot of different "qualifications" where we didn't have the luxury with Dave. Dave was a pro through and through. We will miss him. This is not a post about who is better. It's just me trying to deal with all of this stuff.

We took a lot of those "qualifications" into account when we selected who we did. Some of which were age, attitude, appropriate gear, knowledge of their instrument/experience. I think we made the right decision. We will have our first practice with him on Friday night and first gigon Saturday night. Send good mojo our way!

• Members

It must be very tough to audition new people under those circumstance man. I really feel for you. But I'm sure it's what he would've wanted - for you guys to keep rockin' out. Hope it goes over well man!

What part of RI do you gig in? I have family that lived in Providence, Pawtucket, etc. I think they're in Woonsocket now..

• Members

It must be very tough to audition new people under those circumstance man. I really feel for you. But I'm sure it's what he would've wanted - for you guys to keep rockin' out. Hope it goes over well man!

What part of RI do you gig in? I have family that lived in Providence, Pawtucket, etc. I think they're in Woonsocket now..

I'm in North Providence, we gig in Providence, Bristol and the surrounding areas.

• Members

It's really nice to be able to get all the auditions down and the final candidate picked in one week. Most of us aren't that lucky.

There's been times where we were in drummer limbo for months at a time. It was rough. I definitely know how that goes, and didn't want to do that again.

We have a pretty solid schedule upcoming and determined that the quicker we move the better. We got lucky that the candidates were very personable and seemingly easy to work with. It was quite different than the last time we tried any drummers out. This time was much more focused, 45 min then you're off. I asked them all the same 6 or 7 questions and gave them a chance to ask questions. And I pretty laid out the expectations of the incumbent and the role that they were to assume. It has worked for the last year, and hopefully will continue to. Fingers crossed!

Archived