My first show with original band! Went really well! Warning: LONG

bassred

• Members

Long story....:

A friend from work is the drummer in a band that is pretty well-known in the area. Another friend from work just stepped in on bass with that group. Going forward, the singer is going to be writing some more southern rock material (stuff they are known for is more mainstream modern rock stuff) and the drummer asked if I wanted to come and jam to see if I click with the guys and the material..

So Thursday I went and jammed, and everything clicked! Not to brag, but I am a quick-study and can follow along pretty confidently.. so we worked through the material they were planning on playing at the show the following day. TO my surprise, they asked if I wanted to come and play the show with them!

I spent some time with their CD and charted out some cheat sheets and wracked my brain to go over the tunes that were new/not on the CD (about half of the set) and felt pretty comfortable (and ready to just lay out when I wasn't totally sure of the parts...). I grabbed my axe, a backup and my acoustic (to lend to the singer for a few songs..) and my amp (Crate G60XL - not ideal, but their was a PA for the show...) and headed to the show.

I noticed a couple of things at the show. The acoustic sounds on my Acoustasonic Tele are really pretty good (f I do say so myself... and I do!). I hear the guitar through monitors a couple of times a week but something about being outside and really HEARING/feeling it was just really cool. second, my search for a new amp needs to be sped up. My little Crate was dimed and barely kept up to cover my little patch of stage (it was miked up and in the FOH just fine. Didn't ask for more in the monitors because I was subbing in and wasn't sure if the other guys would mind).

WIth just a few hiccups, I would say that the show went really well! I felt really comfortable with the material, and the band is top-notch (it's always nice to be on stage with guys who are better than you). It sounds like I will be jamming with them more in the future! Not bad for a guy with one rehearsal and a day to prepare!

Sorry for the long post, I am just so stoked! Can't wait to jam some more. I haven't mentioned it to my Band guys yet (because it all literally happened in two days), but I will tell them a the next rehearsal about it, just to keep it all out in the open.

• Members

Great to hear it! Sounds like fun - but, guitar, really? Your basses will get jealous.

BTW, it was a pleasure meeting you in July. Had a great time - too bad that you had to cut out early. But your crew does know how to party.

js

• Members

I'm still playing bass in Nasty Habits. This is a nice side project, though. It's kind of neat to just play guitar parts on songs that someone else wrote, especially when you compare that to playing bass and singing lead and running sound *all at once*.. Plus, it sort of validates that my guitar playing doesn't suck. I mean, I play guitar in my role as worship leader at church and no one has complained about it (that I know of), so it can't be bad...

It was a pleasure to meet you, as well! I always try to meet fellow forumites, but so far have not bee very successful. I met AgedHorse (hangs out in the Live Sound forum) when I was at the NAMM show a few years ago! I hope everything is going well for you!

Archived