Stage Attire

guitarguy19

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sandals are a no-no? I love wearing them as long as the sidewalks are clear of snow. Blue jeans aren't a problem because I appear to be allergic to the dye. Most of my jeans are black and I have quite a few docker styled pants.

In our band, the lead singer is black and the rest of the band is white. I always thought we should take advantage of that and dress in a way that centers even more attention on the singer. (He's a bit of a show-boater. The extra attention wouldn't faze him a bit.)

I try to be a wee bit better-dressed than the audience, so I seldom wear T-shirts. Usually it's comfortable chino-style pants and a shirt with a collar -- sometimes tropical, sometimes shiny, sometimes whatever.

I will wear sandals with that getup, just to stay cool.

-o-o-o-

All of you in black and him in neon colors?

• Members

Only if the ride is to Starbucks less than 5 miles from their house. Then stand around in your brand new leather jacket, doo rag, and assless chaps admiring your bikes while telling anyone that rides a metric bike that they are "posers" and "metric pukes" and they should "get a real bike". Then ride home, polish the bike, and leave it in the garage for the next 3 weeks because there is a 10% chance of rain. Remember, the less you ride it, the better resale value it'll have. I mean, don't we all want a $20,000 dollar bike that we don't ride so we can sell it for $18k in 2 years? Those guys who buy a $10k Kawasaki and put 30k miles on it in 2 years don't have any idea what it's like to be a "real" biker.
:)

Plus, plus plus.!

How 'bout a Harley-Davidson shirt with the slogan "They don't leak oil much anymore, really."?

• Members

Say what you want about Gilmore's attire, his latter day image sticks. The silver haired, black tee look he's been working for a decade is almost as iconic as his younger long hair impish hippy look of the 70's.

I think that was exactly the point, in this example. As Lee pointed out, the look IS Gilmour at this stage in his life/career. Might not work for anybody else his age, but this works perfectly for him. Not that Bowie, he of 1000 different looks over the years, doesn't own his as well. He ALWAYS owns whatever he does, no matter how outlandish.

jamieb

+++++

• Members

Almost a chicken or egg thing: Bowie owns WHATEVER he wears, but he also ALWAYS seems to wear something appropriate for his age, gig, band, song, etc.

I'll agree with that. Don't know if he could have pulled off the suit-and-tie look in his early years, and I sincerely HOPE he doesn't try to revert back to the "Ziggy" days at his age! We'd all "freak out in a moonage daydream"!

jamieb

+++++

• Members

I was watching "Project Runway" the other night-- the project was to dress a band: The Sheepdogs.

I felt so very sorry for some of those guys about the horrifying outfits the designer-contestants came up with for them. Almost all of the outfits were much worse then the guys' self-chosen stage attire. I was a little surprised, I would have thought that people who spend a lot of time thinking about fashion could at least come up with something that reasonable. But no. My favorite bit of fail was one of the "designers" who noted that the lead singer visually dominated the group (a big guy, and 6'4") so he wanted to make him look smaller. He dressed the lead singer entirely in beige so he'd blend in. The shirt even looked sort of like wallpaper.

There's a slideshow here of the outfits if anyone is interested: http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/season-9/rate-the-runway/episode-9#id=1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks spam for reviving this thread.

Wow, those sucked. Looked like a dozen variations on the same outfit. All made the guys look like they were in some bad 60s/70s tribute band.

Terrible stuff.

The wife and I DVR the show and watch when we're able, so I just caught this episode over the weekend.

Absolutely terrible effort by the designers overall. They heard/thought 'roots' or '60s-70s INSPIRED' music, and decided to do literal interpretations of Woodstock-era clothes.

Based on what the band actually sounded like and the vibe they had, I suspect things would have been better if they had never seen or heard the band at all and show's producers just handed all the contestants copies of "Almost Famous" and said "make a look inspired by this movie".

Archived