Stage Attire

guitarguy19

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Off-topic somewhat but:

does anybody else find it odd that people will PAY MONEY to buy a shirt with a brand name/logo on it and wear it? Essentially PAYING MONEY to advertise FOR Fender, Harley Davidson, Hard Rock Cafe etc? People will pay three-four times as much for the shirt just for the opportunity to advertise FOR somebody else....

Nice racket!

You mean kind of like selling band merch?

• Members

Off-topic somewhat but:

does anybody else find it odd that people will PAY MONEY to buy a shirt with a brand name/logo on it and wear it? Essentially PAYING MONEY to advertise FOR Fender, Harley Davidson, Hard Rock Cafe etc? People will pay three-four times as much for the shirt just for the opportunity to advertise FOR somebody else....

Nice racket!

HA!

That doesn't bother me as much,

Folks going out of their way to brand themselves into a demographic by buying shirts w/ logos? No problem....

It's all the OTHER logos that are intrusive and polluting that bite my balls-

We are paying them money to advertise for THEM (not the other way around)

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2535495-Who-are-you-advertising-for&highlight=

• Members

HA!

That doesn't bother me as much,

Folks going out of their way to brand themselves into a demographic by buying shirts w/ logos? No problem....

It's all the OTHER logos that are intrusive and polluting that bite my balls-

We are paying them money to advertise for THEM (not the other way around)

Are you one of those folks who takes the logo/model off the back of their car as well?

• Members

I did it on my Nord E3. Put my first name and nickname over the words in the same style type and color...in my case it required me to buy bumper stickers, so it's removable if necessary.

I thought about putting a small brass name plate on the fallboard of all the pianos I service.

Why not? Auto dealers do it.

• Members

Ha ha, like the "weekend warriors" who, after leaving the office, leave the attache case in the car and become instant "anti-establishment bad asses" by wearing their brand name Harley clothes and brand name official headbands for the Sat and Sunday rides.

Off-topic somewhat but:

Nice racket!

• Members

. . . but that doesn't alter the fact that in all your examples, they serve as a distraction. All the focus should be on your brand - not a team, beer, or clothing mfg - regardless of how prominent or subtle.

I've read a lot in this thread about what "you" wear, without any apparent consideration of what the rest of the band is wearing

A bass player once admitted to me that he thought he was unattractive, and that the loud patterns and colors he wore were an intentional distraction.

From a photographer's point of view, if I'm doing a group promo shot, I want all the viewers' attention on your eyes. Pros advise each other to get paid in advance (before seeing the proofs) if everybody shows up wearing a mish mash of outfits.

I agree that a group should have a cohesive look. It should not appear that 4 or 5 (or 6) individuals showed up with now basic idea of the vibe they should go for.. I can see where photogs would be wise to get paid before the band sees how crappy they look..

Side note: I was pleasantly surprised by my new band. Showed up to a gig last Friday in my usual attire and found that they all had similar (but not 'matchy') ideas, and they were even rockin' cowboy boots (something I've done for years and at 33 have gotten strange looks for - since I'm not a country player, I guess...) so I felt even more comfortable (good thing given the fact that I had only just met them and jammed with them the night before.......)I'm the one in the black - I tend to do darker colors most of the time...

• Members
Not sure I would call black T and black jeans terribly fashionable. He looks "OK".

Bowie looks great, though the suit thing is not necessarily new for him.

When you reach a certain age, whatcha gonna do? Black or dark colors, from T shirt to suit or some place in between is about all you can do and look decent on stage.

082108group.jpg
mccart.jpg
rolling_stones-1055.jpg

• Members
Ha ha, like the "weekend warriors" who, after leaving the office, leave the attache case in the car and become instant "anti-establishment bad asses" by wearing their brand name Harley clothes and brand name official headbands for the Sat and Sunday rides.

Only if the ride is to Starbucks less than 5 miles from their house. Then stand around in your brand new leather jacket, doo rag, and assless chaps admiring your bikes while telling anyone that rides a metric bike that they are "posers" and "metric pukes" and they should "get a real bike". Then ride home, polish the bike, and leave it in the garage for the next 3 weeks because there is a 10% chance of rain. Remember, the less you ride it, the better resale value it'll have. I mean, don't we all want a $20,000 dollar bike that we don't ride so we can sell it for $18k in 2 years? Those guys who buy a $10k Kawasaki and put 30k miles on it in 2 years don't have any idea what it's like to be a "real" biker. :)

• Members

When you reach a certain age, whatcha gonna do? Black or dark colors, from T shirt to suit or some place in between is about all you can do and look decent on stage.

I hear ya, just saying that black t-shirt and jeans is not exactly "bringing it" rock star style... ya know? A collared button-shirt would be better (a la Springsteen above).

• Members

Good basic rules. I don't know if I'm alone in this, but on gig night I throw in my van a few extra different T shirts and collar shirts to balance us out, if necessary.

But seriously . . .

solids beats patterns

dark beats light

collar beats T-shirt

. . and no graphics!

Chicks are pretty much exempt from the above.

• Members

Sorta OT but not really:
Make sure that your back-up shirt also fits!

I did a gig a couple of months ago and had a ... wardrobe malfunction.

I had bellied up to the bar to get a drink after setting up. While I was there some already-drunk person spilled something BRIGHT RED all over my shirt. The shirt was ruined for the night and all I had in the car was a white t-shirt. It was an out-of-towner so there was no going home, etc. To make matters worse, the t-shirt was all mangled up and wrinkled; the shirt did NOT look good. The rest of the band was wearing the usual garb (collared shirts, nice jeans, etc.) while I had to work the wife-beater look. :facepalm:

Luckily there are no pictures from that night!
Now I take an extra shirt...

• Members
Only if the ride is to Starbucks less than 5 miles from their house. Then stand around in your brand new leather jacket, doo rag, and assless chaps admiring your bikes while telling anyone that rides a metric bike that they are "posers" and "metric pukes" and they should "get a real bike". Then ride home, polish the bike, and leave it in the garage for the next 3 weeks because there is a 10% chance of rain. Remember, the less you ride it, the better resale value it'll have. I mean, don't we all want a $20,000 dollar bike that we don't ride so we can sell it for $18k in 2 years? Those guys who buy a $10k Kawasaki and put 30k miles on it in 2 years don't have any idea what it's like to be a "real" biker.
:)

Just felt like this post had to be in the thread twice.

• Members

Not sure I would call black T and black jeans terribly fashionable. He looks "OK".

Bowie looks great, though the suit thing is not necessarily new for him.

He's David Gilmour. That fact alone earns him a free pass as far as I'm concerned.

Just my opinion.

jamieb

+++++

• Members

I tend to wear the uniform of the evening, usually a nice clean pair of pants and a buttoned shirt. When the job calls for it I will wear a suit or tuxedo. Every now and then I play somewhere where I can wear just jeans and a t shirt. And when I am playing outside and it is 100 degrees I might wear shorts especially if other cats in the band are also wearing shorts.

Archived