Meeting new musicians

Lemon Crush

• Members

Have a decent length conversation with them on the phone beforehand, or agree to meet for a drink or a cup of coffee somewhere before jamming. You can hopefully get a pretty good feel for what kind of person they are that way. Before I waste any time playing with someone, I want to make sure we at least somewhat get along and they're not a complete ass anyway, so IMO it's always a good idea.

• Members

Have a decent length conversation with them on the phone beforehand, or agree to meet for a drink or a cup of coffee somewhere before jamming. You can hopefully get a pretty good feel for what kind of person they are that way. Before I waste any time playing with someone, I want to make sure we at least somewhat get along and they're not a complete ass anyway, so IMO it's always a good idea.

Yeah I had thought about that. But people can put up a front. There's just a lot of shady people on CL.

• Members

Yeah I had thought about that. But people can put up a front. There's just a lot of shady people on CL.

I like that you've put your music out there for those of us who are curious. I'm guessing you're happy to provide same to anyone on CL who shows some interest in a project. I've done that too and have been surprised at how reluctant some people are to set up a mic so you can get a sense of where they're at musically beyond browsing their (proposed) set list. I've read CL posts that take guys to task for insisting on some sort of musical link or attached mp3 . . . . I'm now one of those guys who insists on it as well.

I've also noticed that a lot of guys will exchange emails forever . . . . without giving their phone number. That's also become a red flag for me. I want to hear your tone of voice.

But I take your point. You can't identify all the potential points of conflict right away. That's just the way it is. It may take a month . . . . or six months or more before you figure out that there really is a bone of contention that's a deal breaker for you.

• Members

One possible option is to meet them at a local open mic night. That way you can meet and play in a public place before anyone goes over to anyone else's private home/practice space/whatever. I did that with a friend of mine 12 years ago when we first met, and we're still jamming.

• Members

Yeah sometimes just hanging out beats jamming....

Peter Furler invited me to spend a week on the road w/ The Newsboys when they had an opening

They were into paintball wars at the time and wanted to make sure

that whoever the guy was could hang before they even played together.

I had a schedule conflict but our other guy, Jody had time.

He still plays with them.

• Members

I used bandmix. I worked well. Played with several start up bands, and only met like two real weirdos. they were harmless. down here i met a guitar player at a jam night. He hooked me up with a couple guys and I ended up in a band. I am glad I landed in a stable situation, but it was fun to just be out there floating around.

• Members

I don't do rehearsals with unknowns, until I see a video or heard someone's recorded music. Rehearsals are also pointless unless setlists have been exchanged, learned at home, THEN you go see if it flies with each other.

As far as safety and not getting butt raped going to a craigslist musician rehearsal...

'it's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll'

hahahaha.

• Members

I don't do rehearsals with unknowns, until I see a video or heard someone's recorded music. Rehearsals are also pointless unless setlists have been exchanged, learned at home, THEN you go see if it flies with each other.

As far as safety and not getting butt raped going to a craigslist musician rehearsal...

'it's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll'

hahahaha.

WHY? I would just as leave haul my instrument over to where ever ,, set it up and meet the people. Talk on the phone. figure out if its worth the effort and go do it. If we have one song in common to do that enough to tell if it could be a band. If you are not in a band you have nothing to lose by playing with some other people. lack of video and audio tracks is common. Its not like you have to marry them on the first date.

• Members

...Peter Furler invited me to spend a week on the road w/ The Newsboys when they had an opening

They were into paintball wars at the time and wanted to make sure

that whoever the guy was could hang before they even played together...

So the guys in the Christian band were more concerned if you would hang with them playing paintball, then say, your Christian values?

• Members

So the guys in the Christian band were more concerned if you would hang with them playing paintball, then say, your Christian values?

It's all the same thing: playing paintball, golf, how you treat their crew, how you live your life equals how your "Christian values" translate

Which btw has nothing to do w this thread- way to go with that dude

They've been together for 20 years so basing someones suitability for a gig on thier compatibility first and their skills second seems to be working for them

• Members

My family got nervous when I left my keyboard and amp at the audition in 1970 while we went back across State lines to our old home for the weekend. They were good guys, but maybe I got lucky. I would never consider doing that today.

• Members

Every time I put out an ad I always ask for demos of someones recent material.

Not only does it save time if they suck, but I'd tend to assume somone who puts dedication into their music probably isnt a nutjob.

Any (harmless) nutjobs I've met you could tell something was off right away from email communications anyway. A couple of people I met the band thing never worked out, but we're still friends on facebook and go to each others gigs and such.

• Members

It's all the same thing: playing paintball, golf, how you treat their crew, how you live your life equals how your "Christian values" translate

Which btw has nothing to do w this thread- way to go with that dude

They've been together for 20 years so basing someones suitability for a gig on thier compatibility first and their skills second seems to be working for them

Sorry, didn't meant to hijack the thread. I am actually a fan of the Newsboys. I guess I just misinterpretted the meaning of your post. My apologies.

• Members

I have actually gotten a lot of my higher paying gigs as a result of either answering somebody's ad or somebody answering mine. I just use common sense to weed out the weirdos and the folks I don't think I would be compatible with. You just have to be persistent. If a situation doesn't work out just move on to the next one. And just keep doing it until something finally does work out.

• Members

I have actually gotten a lot of my higher paying gigs as a result of either answering somebody's ad or somebody answering mine. I just use common sense to weed out the weirdos and the folks I don't think I would be compatible with. You just have to be persistent. If a situation doesn't work out just move on to the next one. And just keep doing it until something finally does work out.

:thu:

• Members

I guess. I've dealt with people on craigslist, and before that the Recycler in L.A. (similar thing in print form), since I was 16 or so. And I'm a woman. Haven't had any serious problems with it. I'd talk to people on the phone for quite awhile - if we didn't seem to genuinely get along then I'd pass on getting together. I'd usually have them send a demo, etc. Sure, people can put up a front up to a point, but you have to trust yourself to see through it at some point. And you have to be willing to take a few risks to find people you really want to play with.

Honestly, though, the way to meet the best musicians in the safest possible way is to just go to clubs and see bands that play the kind of stuff you like. That's how I met everyone I play with now - I was a fan first and then a friend, and then one band broke up and I snagged their rhythm section, another of my favorite bands had a member quit and I was asked to replace him... etc. Become friendly with the members of the bands and be Johnny-on-the-spot when something like that happens. Then you will already know they don't suck as players, are responsible at gigs, friendly people, have a reputation etc.

• Moderators

Honestly, though, the way to meet the best musicians in the safest possible way is to just go to clubs and see bands that play the kind of stuff you like. That's how I met everyone I play with now - I was a fan first and then a friend, and then one band broke up and I snagged their rhythm section, another of my favorite bands had a member quit and I was asked to replace him... etc. Become friendly with the members of the bands and be Johnny-on-the-spot when something like that happens. Then you will already know they don't suck as players, are responsible at gigs, friendly people, have a reputation etc.

Exactly. For me, it's the only way.

It's not too difficult to be absorbed into a musician's community. Musicians are usually pretty easy to get on with. I'm a kid when it comes to my enthusiasm for music. Right away we have something in common.

When I'm in a strange city and am checking out music, I usually walk up and meet the guys. I consistently feel that I could, if I lived there, become part of that community.

And that translates to gigs and/or a larger pool of players available to me.

Archived