"Cool story bro" warning...

Austincowbell

• Members

we played a puppymill awareness benefit on Sunday and Rikki Rocket from Poison was there as a speaker. Anyway, I asked if he would sit in and he jumped right on the kit and did our "Purple Rain/Just a Friend" mashup with us. It was kind of awesome.

btw - After the event he was helping take PA down etc etc. He's maybe the least "Hollywood" person I've ever met.

314639_2424426210932_1259791938_32906744

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had kind of a similar shock a few years back from that dude Eric Knotingham that played bass for Cinderella in the day. Remember that guy?

Well, he lives in Tennessee raising horses with his wife now. They have a band together and they tour a little here and there. An old band of mine played a show with them. Dude helped me load my rig out at the end of the night and stuff.

I was like "wow, you use to play stadiums and stuff! crazy world".

He was very very cool.

• Members

I'm a bit confused... I'm not sure why a few years of D-level fame as a sideman in a hair metal band would lead to "Hollywood" behavior two decades afterwards. But whatever. Good to know these folks are down-to-earth.

You would be surprised how many of these D-list level famous people are still walking around thinking they are gods 2 decades after anyone gave a crap about them... And you would be surprised how cool some big name stars actually are.

At least I am.

Examples-

* Jack Palance was born in my hometown and had a house in the area. He could be a pretty nasty fellow sometimes especially to people he didn't know.

* In the mid 90s I did roadie work for a big benefit concert in my area and warrant headlined... some of those guys on their crew and in the band were not cool at ALL.

On the flip side-

* I was taught by AJ Pero from Twisted Sister for about 6 months back when I was 18. He was one of the coolest guys and a GREAT drummer!

* I recently met & interviewed Dan Aykroyd for the TV show I produce. I rank him in the top 5 coolest famous people I have met.

Some famous people are dicks... some aren't.

• Members

You would be surprised how many of these D-list level famous people are still walking around thinking they are gods 2 decades after anyone gave a crap about them... And you would be surprised how cool some big name stars actually are.

At least I am.

Examples-

* Jack Palance was born in my hometown and had a house in the area. He could be a pretty nasty fellow sometimes especially to people he didn't know.

* In the mid 90s I did roadie work for a big benefit concert in my area and warrant headlined... some of those guys on their crew and in the band were not cool at ALL.

On the flip side-

* I was taught by AJ Pero from Twisted Sister for about 6 months back when I was 18. He was one of the coolest guys and a GREAT drummer!

* I recently met & interviewed Dan Aykroyd for the TV show I produce. I rank him in the top 5 coolest famous people I have met.

Some people are dicks... some aren't

• Members

Bret wasn't ever exactly experiencing "D-level fame as a sideman" with his hair-metal band. Without all the makeup (and maybe even with) how many people could pick Rikki Rocket out of a lineup?

For that matter, take Bretts bandanna (and the hair attached to it) off and you could say the same thing.

• Members

Perhaps drummers tend to be cooler than lead guitarists and singers? I did sound last weekend for a band lead by a drummer who's been on platinum albums and he humped gear with the rest of us :) .

• Members

Depends entirely on the person and the situation, and likely changes frequently...

Aykroyd is a NOTORIOUS dick...you must have gotten him on a good day.

• Members

Depends entirely on the person and the situation, and likely changes frequently...

Aykroyd is a NOTORIOUS dick...you must have gotten him on a good day.

I was very cautious about it at first but within 30 seconds I was at ease! The guy was a BLAST!

I also heard that Bill Murray is a dick but never met him.

• Members

I was very cautious about it at first but within 30 seconds I was at ease! The guy was a BLAST!

I also heard that Bill Murray is a dick but never met him.

As I understand it, a lot of those guys get that reputation after starry-eyed douchebags ask them to re-enact the entire script of Caddyshack while in line at the waterpark, and then get pissed when they refuse.

• Members

At least I am.

Examples-

On the flip side-

Arnold Palmer's home phone was listed in the local phone directory in the 60s. Even today, he has a listed answering service. That's pretty down to earth for a millionaire. (Of course he didn't start that way and still lives in the town he grew up in. Guess that he wanted to be reachable by his friends.)

• Members

Cool story indeed. From what I understand Rikki is a vegatarian and huge animal rights activist. I can see him being pretty cool...

He is and Chris De Rose (who was another speaker and huge huge activist) told me that Rikki was much more than a speaker as he has actively participated in high-risk raids on dogfighting operations with him in the past.

side note - I'm an asshole because when they mentioned Michael Vick my first thought was to check my fantasy team... aren't I?

Archived