cancelling a gig I already cancelled

astone923

• Members

We last played the venue in June, and I cancelled the gig scheduled for tonight back then. At the time the owners of the bar were cool about it and told me it would be easy enough to fill the date because it was far enough in the future. I thought it was a done deal.

I just got a Facebook message inviting me to the gig tonight! I quickly called a a buddy to see if he could cover the gig for me, but didn't hear back from him... He might not be in town. I called the bar and explained to them that I had cancelled this gig back in June and tried to remind her of the conversation we had... She OBVIOUSLY doesn't remember the conversation.

How bad should I feel about this? I like this venue, not because it's a great venue (as far as drawing a crowd), but they've been great people to deal with, love live music, and there's usually no drama... Now there's drama.

• Members

Glad you got it covered!

I wouldn't have felt bad, per se, but I'd have tried to help.

We had a near-miss last weekend like that; the club thought we were booked for the Saturday of Halloween weekend when we weren't. Glad THAT came up in conversation!

• Members

Things like this situation are what email is a great tool for. In this situation you should have sent an email confirming that cancellation the day after you did it and put a read receipt or asked them to respond to let you know they got it. Then there's no way it can ever legitimatly come back on you.

• Members

Things like this situation are what email is a great tool for. In this situation you should have sent an email confirming that cancellation the day after you did it and put a read receipt or asked them to respond to let you know they got it. Then there's no way it can ever legitimatly come back on you.

Bingo! I've had to pull a ton of emails to prove I'm correct, usually with the venue owner regarding pay.

• Members

I'll be sure to do just that if I'm ever down that road again... hopefully not any time soon.

Archived