How fitting that the seasons changed this week....

bassred

• Members

All things have their time, their season, and when that time is up, its up. Well, the summer-into-fall change wasn't the only one that happened.

My cover band of 5 years, Nasty Habits, agreed that the energy is not the same as it was and that we were all growing in different directions. We reminisced about the solid run we had, we watched videos from 2007 gigs (when we were playing every weekend and were totally primed and pumped up.) and it was really handled better than I thought it would have been. (I was going to bring up my feelings that the project was on a decline and sort of expected a little bit of a pushback or some hurt feelings... instead, it was agreed by all that we haven't been 'feeling it' and that rehearsals have become easier to call off and everything.)

I also had the chance to tell my guys face-to-face that I am playing in a new band. I had not seen them in person in over three weeks. I had not hidden this fact, I had posted pictures of a gig on Facebook and told our guitar player (the one who recently moved to a town an hour away) over the phone that I was doing a gig and borrowed his guitar amp for it (I've been a bass player for so many years, my guitar playing has all been at home and church. WHile I've got a decent little rig for home and church, I now need to get a guitar amp that can handle gigs that don' have ful PA's ). THe guys seem genuinely happy for me, so I feel better about taking this new opportunity and running with it.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get it all out there. The new band has already played 4 gigs this month and is really coming together. It is fun and just a little different to be back in the originals scene (30 minute set, no PA for the whole band/one crappy monitor mix, playing at 11:00pm or midnight.....) and is a nice change to 4 hour nights haling in our own PA rig...

I am going to miss jamming with my NH guys.

• Members

Glad it wasn't a hostile split, bassred. Best of luck with the new stuff! :)

This makes me think of when my main band in Jacksonville, Slaphappy, called it quits, except that I was one who thought everything was going to be okay and was completely blindsided by the fact that two of the other guys were just done. Very amicable split, though, despite my really hurt feelings/sadness. I love those guys to this day, and still keep in great touch. Ironically enough, a couple of years ago the two who called it quits started gigging as an acoustic duo. They called me and the ex-drummer to ask if it was cool if they used "Slaphappy" as the name (to which I said, "of course"). If I still lived there, I'm sure I would have been a part of it somehow. :)

Brian V.

Archived