Preferring a cover to the original

FitchFY

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

[video=youtube;6gjCn70d6iA]

Interesting topic.

I think it all boils down to your musical roots. Each era cooks differently, with many styles going strong concurrently. It isn't "better" - it's what you've grown up with.

. . . and get the damn bass drum off of "two" and "four".

• Members

I think it all boils down to your musical roots. Each era cooks differently, with many styles going strong concurrently. It isn't "better" - it's what you've grown up with.

There's certainly some credit in this statement - each generation will likely favor the more current version than the originator, but it's certainly not always true. I grew up in the height of modern hard rock/ rap rock, and all the `80s covers I had to endure on the radio (Limp Bizkit "Faith," Orgy "Blue Monday," Marilyn Manson "Tainted Love," etc) did very little for me.

There are some covers that are quite commendable (RHCP doing "Higher Ground" comes to mind), but they surely don't top the orignal.

But some covers do. :) Those are the ones I'm thinking of.

• Members

This got me thinking of live versions that blow away their studio counterpart. One that sticks out because it was a different singer and somewhat different band was Riding The Storm Out. The studio version sucks bad but Cronin's vocals and energy on the live version is awesome.

• Moderators

Nice concept thread.

I see a fair number of decent covers, but seriously, when is everyone going to start posting the examples of covers that are actually
better
than the originals?

I honestly think the two I posted are improvements on the originals. And I like both the originals. :idk:

• Members

I honestly think the two I posted are improvements on the originals. And I like both the originals.
:idk:

I've always liked the Siouxsie version, but not more than the original.

And no way does the Bauhaus version of Ziggy improve on the original, IMO. My least favorite Bauhuas song, actually.

Now maybe if you had offered this one from that particular branch of the tree...

• Moderators

I've always liked the Siouxsie version, but not more than the original.

And no way does the Bauhaus version of Ziggy improve on the original, IMO. My least favorite Bauhuas song, actually.

I've read quite a few accounts of Bowie saying the Bauhaus version is "the way I should have done it", but who knows if that's true. I like the kick in the pants they give it!

Yeah, L&R's "Ball of Confusion" is ace. :thu:

• Members

I've read quite a few accounts of Bowie saying the Bauhaus version is "the way I should have done it", but who knows if that's true. I like the kick in the pants they give it!

Never heard that.

He certainly gives it a bit of a kick in concert, but it's always been more like his original than the Bauhaus version when I've seen him (1/2 dozen times).

I think the thing I hate most about it is the drum fills on the cover version.

Stiff/wooden, IMO.

• Members

So I'll say the only one I reallyabsolutely agree with thus far is the Hendrix version of Watchtower.

But I'll offer what I think is a superior version done by a band already mentioned (I disagree the cover noted is better than the original above, though, but that's just me).

[video=youtube;BO1qcWa6blQ]

• Members

Nice concept thread.

I see a fair number of decent covers, but seriously, when is everyone going to start posting the examples of covers that are actually
better
than the originals?

On the example I gave - actually I prefer most of the songs on that album to the original - the differences are subtle, but since it's almost all in the drums/percussion interpretation, I would have thought you would have appreciated it. Clean eight vs four pulse. Leaves more room to play . . . for me anyway.

Archived