Christmas Night Gig

El Mojito

• Members

My cover band has a gig booked x'mas night. Paying us 2.5x our normal rate so it's seems to be worth it.

The bar suggested it was by far one of their busiest days. They didn't open till 5 last year and the suggested people were waiting in line to get in (and this is just a normal everyday downtown bar). It's a big bar and they further suggested that it was standing room only for most of the night (which is unusual for this bar).

We're thinking of dressing up and doing some creative things to our stage, but we're still a little clueless about what to expect different, if anything. My thoughts are people will genuinely be in a very festive mood as it's possible the patrons will not be the usual bar flies. I'm expecting folks that just need to get out, e.g. get away from mom, maybe meeting up with old friends, etc. Could it not be one of those nights where maybe a lot of the patrons don't get out much at all and this is one of those memorable nights? Maybe I'm thinking to much lol.

Thoughts are a swirling. Anyone ever had a x'mas gig?

• Members

Wow, I don't think that woud sail in my neck o' the woods, but if you're getting a guarantee, then do it up, man! Maybe wear the obligatory Santa hats, beards, some fake snow on the stage and then fuzzy stuff... fake Christmas tree with lights? Stupid stuff like that should be fun.

Perhaps have everyone in the band wear Christmas colors and one guy in the bad sweater? I dunno.

But ultimately, don't change what you do - they asked your band to play the show because of who you are and what you do; don't go learning 10 Christmas carols and make the booker regret his decision. :D

• Members

I was kinda surprised as well by it being a huge night for them. I mean, they're paying us a pretty big chunk of change for a typical 3 set night so I guess they have a feeling it's gonna be busy.

So no Christmas songs eh. I would have thought it would be a must. We were thinking Father Christmas by the kinks and some jerked up herky derky Santa Got Run Over by a Reindeer bit but maybe we should re-think it.

As far as the costumes, etc., I sold the band on thinking this could be the one time (as we usually dress in the typical jeans/shirts outfits) that we could put on some crazy stage set up/costume get ups, etc., that we could entertain in forms of a theme as well as the music. Bad Santa comes to mind (of course you gotta play the part to the audience as well), my other guitarist wants to do Father Xmas. We've kicked around Baby Jesus from Talladega Nights (but that would require one of us wearing a diaper and quite frankly we're not that young/attractive to pull that off anymore). Cousin Eddie from Xmas Vacation would be a homerun. Still thinking on ideas...

• Members

X-mas day Good... Xmas Eve.... no good. X-mas Eve is a family night. Not even sure about bars being open. I'm sure some are. Locally most bars are closed X-mas eve as well.... but one local bar would get packed with returning college students.

Every year we play out this same room on Dec 23rd. Most people have off on the 24th. Every year we learn a differen't tune. Three years ago Hanukkah fell on the day and we learned the Hanukkah Song. Two years ago it was "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer". Last year was this song.

[video=vimeo;18696308]

This year there's talk about knowing someone who owns a donkey costume and reenacting the Nativity scene. :D

• Members

X-mas day Good... Xmas Eve.... no good. X-mas Eve is a family night. Not even sure about bars being open. I'm sure some are. Locally most bars are closed X-mas eve as well.... but one local bar would get packed with returning college students.

Every year we play out this same room on Dec 23rd. Most people have off on the 24th. Every year we learn a differen't tune. Three years ago Hanukkah fell on the day and we learned the Hanukkah Song. Two years ago it was "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer". Last year was this song.

:D

Pretty much the exact opposite here. Xmas eve is usually the biggest night of the year at out local pub. Usually quite big in "town" too. Xmas DAY however - most places not even open.

• Members

Christmas might be good since it is a Sunday night and most people will have Monday off. I can't imagine many bars doing great business in Chicago but it is possible.

I would think that a lot of it would depend on if you have a college age crowd. They will be the ones who would be up for a party christmas night. workin stiffs with kids home on christmas vacation that just got done with santa aint gonna want to party other than at home.

• Members

Yep, we all know the entire world consists only of college age people and those with kids home on Christmas vacation.

In fact, as I understand it now, the whole process has been streamlined and when you are handed your diploma upon graduation, you're also handed custody of 2.5 fully grown 18 year old kids who are incoming freshmen at your new Alma Mater...

Those throngs of 22-32 year olds who are out of school and not-yet married/saddled with family?

A thing of the past.

Besides, they NEVER went out to bars anyway.

:facepalm:

• Members

Yep, we all know the entire world consists only of college age people and those with kids home on Christmas vacation.

In fact, as I understand it now, the whole process has been streamlined and when you are handed your diploma upon graduation, you're also handed custody of 2.5 fully grown 18 year old kids who are incoming freshmen at your new Alma Mater...

Those throngs of 22-32 year olds who are out of school and not-yet married/saddled with family?

A thing of the past.

how old are you?

• Members

A thing of the past.

I'm a 26 year old who is out of school and not married who never goes out to bars. That {censored} is too expensive and/or dangerous :lol:

• Members

Christmas Eve is not a good bar night around my parts but this year I think Friday Dec 23rd may be

We just moved a Dec 21st gig for next year to Dec 14th. Not sure if some of the band members didn't want to be working that weekend.

• Members

I'm a 26 year old who is out of school and not married who never goes out to bars. That {censored} is too expensive and/or dangerous
:lol:

SO you're the one, huh?

You'll recognize, of course, that you are not the norm in that regard, right?

• Members

Old enough to know you haven't got clue one about a whole hell of a lot, but ESPECIALLY so about night clubs and/or playing in them in this century.

I'd challenge that - you can assume your crowd is going to be younger on X-Mas Eve/ X-Mas Night. I mean, if the person has kids, they're home with them: end of story.

Sure, not everyone has kids, but a lot, possibly majority, do. Why WOULDN'T your crowd be more of the college/ young professional crowd?

• Members

I have played Christmas day before and it was usually real busy. The bar we played at was open every day of the year but would close about 5 on Christmas eve.

we play on thanksgiving and christmas. We have winter texans down here that time of year and the bar always puts on a big feed. Grampa and gramma typically dont want to stay home and cook,,, so they go to their fav watering hole for he holiday buffet and share the holiday with their friends.

• Members

I'd challenge that - you can assume your crowd is going to be younger on X-Mas Eve/ X-Mas Night. I mean, if the person has kids, they're home with them: end of story.

Sure, not everyone has kids, but a lot, possibly majority, do. Why WOULDN'T your crowd be more of the college/ young professional crowd?

That's not what was stated that I had an issue with.

In fact, what you're saying aligns more with my POV than Timkeys.

Go back and read the posts, connect the dots.

If you follow the Jwusslow post that he responded to and his own post, he's claiming that a bar gig on Xmas night will largely depend "on if you have a college age crowd", as THEY will be the ones who want to party, and "workin stiffs with kids home on christmas vacation that just got done with santa aint gonna want to party.

In his seriously limited understanding and view, there are A and B options only: college-age kids and their parents.

THAT'S his error.

That's just plain incorrect/wrong/ignorant.

Never mind the reality that the largest portion of the bar going public is people who are a year or three out of college who have started into some sort of professional life (real job) but who not yet 'settled down' to a house with family life who therefore are generally single and have some disposable income.

But you can't ignore the fact that the majority of 'college age kids' are UNDER 21, and thus, even with fake IDs, not the large part of ANY bar/club environment.

Nor can you ignore that it's not 1956 anymore; people by and large don't come right out of school, already married with 2 kids, straight into their Junior Account Manager role at the big firm their father-in-law works at. People settle down, get married and have kids later in life now (generally speaking). It's the norm to take 2-5 years figuring out what to do next AFTER college is over.

Single 25-35 year olds...the people that Timkeys either ignored or isn't aware of:

THAT's who goes to bars/clubs for the most part.

Not ALL.

Not ONLY.

But certainly the majority.

• Members

SO you're the
one,
huh?

You'll recognize, of course, that you are not the norm in that regard, right?

I honestly have no clue. I keep so busy that I have no friends to really make that comparison. I do wonder, though, how the hell people can afford to go out to bars and {censored} all of the time. I make a decent salary (>$50k) and every cent goes toward paying off school or trying to save for a car/house/wife/retirement - at this rate I will have extra money for bars and vacations in like 30 years :lol:

But this is all a separate discussion... on-topic, I like the idea of a christmas night show - there might be fewer people out in general but you'll have almost no competition. Most places are simply closed, the biggest challenge would be making sure people know about the show.

Archived