Those of you doing Rolling in the Deep...

mstreck

• Members

Have you tried blending it with Crazy (Gnarls Barkley)? If so, how does it go over?

Any other songs that might fit well in a medley with it?

Thanks!

Mike

funny you mention that... we do exactly that mashup with our drummer coming out to sing and me going behind the kit. It kills every time. We play it with an obvious house beat with the high hat on 2 and 4 and the kick on one and 3.

• Members

Tried it last night and we all think it's gonna work.

We played RITD right up to the hand-clap part, but instead did verse-chorus-verse-chorus of Crazy then played the hand-clap part (and finished out) RITD.

We're gonna do it for real this weekend, so we'll see how it goes over.

• Members

That's a pretty cool idea. We are doing the Adele song. I just heard a friend's band do Crazy the other night. Had missed that one when it was a hit, somehow. It was a real cool bass driven song the way my friend did it. I actually liked his band doing it more than the Gnarls Barkley that I listened to later ...

• Members

interesting idea. We don't do any mashups like that. We do the full song and if we do a seque it's to another full song.

Once our new bass player is worked in and we're back to learning new songs the Pink version of Crazy is on the list.

• Members

Well, cool. I note that the originals are in the same key.

I just picked up an acoustic and sleuthed around the best for me to sing key to sing the Gnarls Barkley in and it happens to be A.

Wasn't even thinking about what key we do Adele in until after, and by gosh we moved the Adele to A also.

Wonder if my bandmates have heard the tune. Like I said, it's totally new to me, though I guess it went to #2 on Billboard 100, huh.

Guess I don't listen to that station. ;)

Well, I might just do it solo if not with the band. Solo it can't be put with the Adele, I'm doing Adele in G when I'm on my own.

Kewl.

• Members

I love "Crazy", and our band has messed around with it a bit, but I could see where it would be a bit too low-key and repetitive to go over well in a live setting.

That said....it seems like a perfect song to use as mashup/medley fodder; I just didn't know what to put with it.

However, taking inspiration from this thread, I found a couple pretty good mashups on YT , both of which use Crazy as the backing track....one that has the vocals from Rolling in the Deep, and another with the vocal from Ice, Ice Baby. All three songs that probably wouldn't stand up too well on their own....but run all three of them together, and I believe we'll have a winner. :)

Thanks for the inspiration. :)

• Members

However, taking inspiration from this thread, I found a couple pretty good mashups on YT , both of which use
Crazy
as the backing track....one that has the vocals from
Rolling in the Deep
, and another with the vocal from
Ice, Ice Baby
. All three songs that probably wouldn't stand up too well on their own....but run all three of them together, and I believe we'll have a winner.
:)

Thanks for the inspiration.
:)

Yep, I think that's one of the best use of mash-ups---to insert parts of good songs that won't stand up on their own. Nobody may want to get up and dance to "Crazy", but toss a bit of it into another song that's already working and it can work to take that set to another level.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

adele is turing into katy perry, by the time you learn the "new" hit, she releases another single. It's tough to keep up.

We still do it from time to time, but it falls flat. We do it OK. But it's first set material at this point for us.

• Members

adele is turing into katy perry, by the time you learn the "new" hit, she releases another single. It's tough to keep up.

We still do it from time to time, but it falls flat. We do it OK. But it's first set material at this point for us.

Yep. We've learned two other Adele song since. This one still works for us, though.

• Members

I was thinking that the other night when I heard this new Adele song on the radio. She's cranking 'em out pretty quick now. I was just getting used to Set Fire To the Rain. :lol:

[video=youtube;x1p6Xbqrbx0]

• Members

I was thinking that the other night when I heard this new Adele song on the radio. She's cranking 'em out pretty quick now. I was just getting used to
Set Fire To the Rain
:lol:

Yeah, it's interesting how modern pop is becoming more and more like the 50s and 60s again where if you didn't have a song on the charts constantly your career was in danger of dying. Even through the 70s it was expected that every act put out an album every year. I remember when it took Boston 2 1/2 years to release their second album people thought that was just CRAZY and that alone might kill the band's career. Then through the 80s and 90s you were lucky to get something out of a band quicker than 3 years apart.

Singles are where it's at though now. I was just reading something on Katy Perry where they said that while her last album sold 5 1/2 million copies worldwide, the six single from it sold a combined 31 1/2 million copies. And, of course she's got a new single so they "re-released" her last album with the new song attached.

• Members

I'm just surprised at the speed they're releasing singles. You'd think they would milk them a little longer than they are. Set Fire is still #18 on the Billboard Hot 100, right below Rumour which is at #16: http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100#/charts/hot-100?begin=11&order=position Maybe the kids are so ADD nowadays that a song won't hold them for more than a month. :lol:

• Members

I'm just surprised at the speed they're releasing singles. You'd think they would milk them a little longer than they are.
Set Fire
is still #18 on the Billboard Hot 100, right below
Rumour
which is at #16:
http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100#/charts/hot-100?begin=11&order=position
Maybe the kids are so ADD nowadays that a song won't hold them for more than a month.
:lol:

Dude, your avatar is killing me. LOL

Seagal is just RAPING that poor axe. :facepalm:

Archived