OT-Recommend me a budget camcorder

tucktronix

• Members

Hi Guys,

The recent "Post a video.." thread has got me on the hunt for an HD camcorder to use for videoing gigs. I am looking for something preferably in the $150 - $300 range, have decent stereo sound(I don't expect professional grade at that price range), optical stabilization and performs quite well in low-light. Mic input is a huge plus. Any ideas??

• Members

Iphone!

When I bought my new little JVC Everio cam I took it to a club to shoot some video of another band to test it out. I also shot some video on the new iPhone 4GS I just bought as well. The iPhone did pretty well in comparison. The picture quality was comparable, and the improved stability on the new phones is very good. It doesn't zoom as good as a dediciated camera as isn't as comfortable to hold for long periods of time though.

iPhones rock. This is my first one after struggling with a HTC smartphone using the Windows Mobile OS for two years until my contract came up again. Night and day difference.

• Members

Iphone!

I was going to say iPod 4, so you don't need to get a phone on contract. I much prefer Android phones, but iPhone has the camcorder thing down with an awesome condenser mic. I posted a video in the "post a video of your band" thread that was shot and edited on an iPhone 4. The iPod touch my girl had did just as well from what I remember.

• Members

I haven't chimed here yet because for the most part I've made investments that are above what you are looking to spend. When I first started shoot video at shows I used Flips, Zoom Q3 and some SD camcorders, but eventually ran into problems and had to upgrade my gear. Some people have some good on here though... for basic video for web posting in decent lit situations most handheld Flip style camcorders take decent video.

I shot this a year ago comparing video using differen't cameras. The HV40 is my main 'go to' camera. The ZoomQ3 is great for audio but is almost unusable for video in low light situations. I'll post a few examples below.

Shot with Flip Standard (SD)

[video=vimeo;7887043]

Same room using a Canon HV40 (retails $650)

[video=vimeo;15499280]

Shot with Flip HD Ultra

[video=vimeo;8189034]

Same room with Canon HV40 (and camera light)

[video=vimeo;16596118]

Camera Comparison: Zoom Q3, Canon HV40

[video=vimeo;13055508]

Tuck I know you are shooting video for general purpose... any of the suggestions above will get the job done. Just remember, camcorders are like keyboards. :D What you pay is what you get. ;)

Archived