Promo ideas for a final show with a budget!

Zeromus-X

• Members

After two years, we're ending the Red Shirt Riot project. We started this with the goal of playing things that you don't typically hear bands play -- the majority of our set was Top 40, Hip-Hop, and non-radio rock that was still popular, with a couple familiars thrown in to please the regulars. Over the course of two years, we've learned a lot of things about bars (and bar owners) in this area as a result of our music and the people we bring in, that's for sure.

Anyway, we're doing one final show on a Saturday in December, at a place that could theoretically probably hold 250 people, but rarely has more than about 40 on any given night. There's a lot of parking, no cover, a massive dance floor and stage area, but due to their budget, they tend to not book higher-level bands. They've always treated us well and we wanted to end it there. We've got a band fund that we saved up for equipment expenses, and the equipment never broke -- so we're turning it into a promo fund for the show. We likely won't make a dollar for the night, and will spend most or all of our promo fund... but this isn't our day job, and we just want to make sure our last gig is a great time for everyone.

So we're looking for some ideas on getting asses in the door, regardless of what it costs. The more creative, the better. We've thrown around ideas like giving away a PS3 or two, comping a few bar tabs, first round of shots on us, etc... but we can't come up with anything really good.

So... if you had a pretty nice sized budget and the desire to fill a bar that won't otherwise have anywhere near capacity... what would you spend it on?

• Members

After two years, we're ending the
project. We started this with the goal of playing things that you don't typically hear bands play -- the majority of our set was Top 40, Hip-Hop, and non-radio rock that was still popular, with a couple familiars thrown in to please the regulars. Over the course of two years, we've learned a lot of things about bars (and bar owners) in this area as a result of our music and the people we bring in, that's for sure.

Anyway, we're doing one final show on a Saturday in December, at a place that could theoretically probably hold 250 people, but rarely has more than about 40 on any given night. There's a lot of parking, no cover, a massive dance floor and stage area, but due to their budget, they tend to not book higher-level bands. They've always treated us well and we wanted to end it there. We've got a band fund that we saved up for equipment expenses, and the equipment never broke -- so we're turning it into a promo fund for the show. We likely won't make a dollar for the night, and will spend most or all of our promo fund... but this isn't our day job, and we just want to make sure our last gig is a great time for everyone.

So we're looking for some ideas on getting asses in the door, regardless of what it costs. The more creative, the better. We've thrown around ideas like giving away a PS3 or two, comping a few bar tabs, first round of shots on us, etc... but we can't come up with anything really good.

So... if you had a pretty nice sized budget and the desire to fill a bar that won't otherwise have anywhere near capacity... what would you spend it on?

How much per head to you have to spend. how about a red shirt with the last gig promo. give them somthing they can remember you by. I would not buy booze due to the fact that its not a good legal move on a bands part. mugs might be easier ,, be sure they are red

• Members

Yeah, I'm fairly certain we can't promote buying drinks for people, which is the problem going that route. I'd have no problem buying a round or two for the entire bar, but if we can't promote it (legally) in advance of the show, it does no good. That's why I'm looking for some ideas.

Our budget is not limited to a specific number, but spending less than $400-$500 would be ideal, since we'll walk with at least something at that point.

• Members

After two years, we're ending the
project. We started this with the goal of playing things that you don't typically hear bands play -- the majority of our set was Top 40, Hip-Hop, and non-radio rock that was still popular, with a couple familiars thrown in to please the regulars. Over the course of two years, we've learned a lot of things about bars (and bar owners) in this area as a result of our music and the people we bring in, that's for sure.

At the risk of derailing the thread---why are you guys ending it and what are some of the things you've learned?

• Members

At the risk of derailing the thread---why are you guys ending it and what are some of the things you've learned?

To be short, many local bar owners don't like bands that play hip-hop (and bring crowds that enjoy it), and we're sick of fighting that battle.

We have played shows to rooms full of people and not booked back because "we are not the type of music they are looking for" or "they do not want to attract that type of crowd" or "the regulars didn't like it". We played a show where one of the wait staff mentioned they'd "never seen it this busy" and they had to call in extra staff to cover the bar, yet at the end of the night we were told that they would not be re-booking us. We played one of the larger places around here and they booked six months out on the spot, and the next day I received a call saying that while the staff enjoyed us and we kept people there all three times, their regulars were complaining and management didn't want to risk losing them. We were told by two venues that they would not book a band with the name "Riot" in their band name because they didn't like what it conveyed.

I cannot imagine being a bartender in this area and having to hear "The Middle" three times a week, every week.

Anyway, back to the ideas!

EDIT: I should really mention that it's not all that bad from a business perspective. While it didn't work at a lot of venues, I'm in the black, so I can't really bitch -- even after purchasing an entire new PA. So it's not a total loss!

• Members

To be short, many local bar owners don't like bands that play hip-hop (and bring crowds that enjoy it), and we're sick of fighting that battle.

We have played shows to rooms full of people and not booked back because "we are not the type of music they are looking for" or "they do not want to attract that type of crowd" or "the regulars didn't like it". We played a show where one of the wait staff mentioned they'd "never seen it this busy" and they had to call in extra staff to cover the bar, yet at the end of the night we were told that they would not be re-booking us. We played one of the larger places around here and they booked six months out on the spot, and the next day I received a call saying that while the staff enjoyed us and we kept people there all three times, their regulars were complaining and management didn't want to risk losing them. We were told by two venues that they would not book a band with the name "Riot" in their band name because they didn't like what it conveyed.

I cannot imagine being a bartender in this area and having to hear "The Middle" three times a week, every week.

Anyway, back to the ideas!

EDIT: I should really mention that it's not all that bad from a business perspective. While it didn't work at a lot of venues, I'm in the black, so I can't really bitch -- even after purchasing an entire new PA. So it's not a total loss!

Are you thinking about the next band yet?

• Members

Interesting. Do you think it was mostly a "this crowd doesn't spend money" deal? Or simply just not liking the type of crowd? Or a bit of both?

In any case, I really liked what I saw of your band here and the way you guys put it together and marketed it. I'm sure whatever you decide to do next will be successful. Good luck! :thu:

• Members

Interesting. Do you think it was mostly a "this crowd doesn't spend money" deal? Or simply just not liking the type of crowd? Or a bit of both?

In any case, I really liked what I saw of your band here and the way you guys put it together and marketed it. I'm sure whatever you decide to do next will be successful. Good luck!
:thu:

It's possible, but I feel there's a deeper issue at hand at many of the places.

This is just one of many projects I've wanted to get off the ground, and more will follow it. It sucks to see it end, since there's a decent investment into it, but I'm not one to let something drag out.

Archived