Bad turnout weekend

mstreck

• Members

Friday night, we played a venue where we normally play to 100+ people. This time, there were 30 people at the end of the first set and a few more than 60 at the end of the night. Saturday, an hour north, I counted 35 people at the end of the first set. I'm guessing 50 at the end of the night.

We're being told that we sound better than ever and new venues are courting us, so I'm hoping this is because of the upcoming holidays (or some other specific reason) and not a general trend for us. We haven't played to this few people for well over a year.

Has anyone else seen a sudden decrease in attendance?

• Members

One weekend's draw is by no means a trend.

I'm more concerned that people just aren't going out as much (because of the economy or whatever reason). Venues can have an empty bar for free.

I really don't have much to compare it to. We weren't gigging this often a year ago.

• Members

I'm more concerned that people just aren't going out as much (because of the economy or whatever reason). Venues can have an empty bar for free.

I really don't have much to compare it to. We weren't gigging this often a year ago.

What was it like last weekend or the weekend before? When was the last time you played this place? How often is "normally"? Again, one weekend's draw isn't a trend. It's the middle of November. Could be the holidays or the weather or the season finale of Dancing With The Stars. You really don't have enough information to warrant 'concern' at this point, IMO.

• Members

What was it like last weekend or the weekend before? When was the last time you played this place? How often is "normally"? Again, one weekend's draw isn't a trend. It's the middle of November. Could be the holidays or the weather or the season finale of Dancing With The Stars. You really don't have enough information to warrant 'concern' at this point, IMO.

Late november is getting down the the wire to get the yard raked up. That tends to keep people around the houses and too tired to go out on teh town.

• Members

We, and other local bands, have been down steadily compared to a few years ago. I believe it is a combination of the economy and especially our state's (Virginia) aggressive cracking down on drunks.

I have a friend who recently got a DUI, first offense. Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of $ of punitive fines, etc., then think about your car insurance rates on top of this. One year suspended driving except just to and from work. 10 weeks of meetings.

Many also get even on 1st offense the vehicle breath auto start up hookup for a year; if you fail to start the car even once, it is all recorded, and they add on 6 months of additional time. Also, $80/month to "calibrate" the instrument which costs about $900 to have installed in your car! Then, the police notifies the ABC who then nearly suspends the license of the bar who sold her the last drink!

The ironic deal is that SHE got run off the road by a really drunk drunk and got stuck in a ditch!

This hurts crowds around here.

• Members

From what I've seen of other local bands' Facebook pages, no one had a very good crowd this weekend. There's one band that usually has crowds like us (or better), but they haven't posted any pictures yet - which is kinda strange in itself.

Who knows - maybe everyone is waiting to go out on Wednesday? Sometimes I forget what it's like to NOT be in a band.

• Members

Man you just never know.

Last year, the main bunch I play with got 2 back to back weekends at a place we had played and done really well with. About a 1/2 hour drive from our town. We were kinda psyched to play there cuz we had just dumped a weak link and added a bunch of new tunes. First Fri, medium. First Sat, DEAD. Second Fri., small. Second Sat. DEAD. She fired us after the second set on Sat.. Acted all mad. "I can't believe you didn't draw." We promoted the {censored} out of the gig too. Pretty bummed at the Waffle House after. Drag. What the hell happened to our people? We did GREAT there before. Big discussions about the set list etc.....

Then we get word that the first weekend they put cops on the 2 lane on either side of the club and were giving out DUI's. Folks just drove past and never went in. And during the week before our second weekend, there was a stabbing at the club. Word got around the small town. Whoops.....

Turns out that the local powers-that-be had been trying to shut the place down for months. 3 weeks after our debacle, the doors were closed and the for sale sign was up.

Man, you just never know.

• Members

Ha, 50 would be a crowd for us LOL! And we have actually played to an empty room as in us, the other bands (there were three al together) and the bar staff. We still had fun though and crowd wise, the only way is up from there!

This happens around here (except for the "other bands" part as we're a cover band) from time to time. Some rooms just dont draw ppl to them no matter what cover band is playing there.

Hell - at this point - most of the pubs/clubs would be HAPPY to have 60-odd people in them.

• Members

Mike... I will say that attendance is down everywhere around here. I'm chalking this up to three things... #1-The economy, #2- Hurricane Irene, #3- The October Noreaster. Numbers 2 & 3 packed a wallop on people's psyche and their pocket book. I'd say on average, between both storms, people are out of pocket between $3-5K. Now the big rush is to buy generators. It's had a terrible affect on people's attitudes and desire to spend cash on recreational expenditures. Bars, restaurants and even bands are feeling the pinch.

That being said, we had a BLOWOUT of a gig on Saturday. More than 350 thru the door. But I heard that every other place in the county was dead including the Big A room in the area. The past two weeks prior we had light attendance (under 150) but again, the report was most other rooms were empty. One room was a disaster for us... maybe 80 the entire night. Yet the bar owner called us last Wednesday and wants to book through the summer. Go figure. People are being very choosy.

• Members

We had a dead night Friday, place that we typically draw well in and we had maybe 40-50 for the whole night. I think it may be due to the holidays coming up, hopefully since we have a T-giving eve gig!

Good point about the Twilight movie, I know a few of our peeps were talking about going to see it.....

• Members

We had a full dinner crowd at 6 when we started, but by the time we finished our last set there were only two tables of people. I've asked the manager if she'd like us to start a little earlier but she prefers where we are at. On the upside, those two tables were seated when we started, and stayed until the end, long after they had finished their meals, because they were enjoying the music.

• Members

Pretty slow for us too. We played the same place both nights. It's a new club and doesn't have much of a built in crowd. Friday night they said they had the best Friday they've had, although it seemed slow to me. Saturday, we had some of our regulars but otherwise the place was dead

• Members

Around here typically if one bar is slow they all are. I wouldn't worry too much about a couple of slower than normal weekends. However, have you changed any band members or re-vamped your set list? Those kinds of things can sometimes cause unanticipated changes in the crowds.

• Members

As much as I hate it, sadly the band doesn't make the crowd or the venue. Venues expect us to build in their crowd for them. On any given night, I would think that less than half of the patrons are there ONLY for the band. If it's not a good venue, people aren't going to come, period. Doesn't really matter who's playing. If you're a good band and crowds typically like your stuff, then the problem is most likely a fluke or the venue just doesn't draw.

• Members

I just heard on the radio that the new Twilight movie had the 5th best opening weekend ever. Maybe that's where all the people were.

And undeservedly so. At least according to the Mrs. who is a fan of the books and most of the films to this point.

From a neutral standpoint I thought it was a waste of 1:57 on a Friday afternoon. But I was surprised to hear her validate my opinion. Back to the topic at hand . . .

I wouldn't be disheartened by one crowd lost to a film franchise that seems to be mailing it in.

• Members

We have an interesting thing going on here right now. Baton Rouge is a bit of a "sprawl", but up until recently, the only good clubs to play at were in BR proper, and people in the 'burbs would travel into town regularly. Now we're seeing more decent clubs opening in the 'burbs, so the crowds in town are declining some as people can stay close to home. We played one this Saturday 45 minutes out of downtown and had about 125 people there. 2 years ago, these folks would have been in Baton Rouge, but now they don't have to travel that far any more. We're playing another burb gig this weekend. For us it's a good thing because we can stay in a 45 minute radius of BR and play to 4-5 different "markets".

• Members

Whereas, I had a really fun, well-attended gig on Friday. It was a reunion (of sorts) of a bunch of musicians and their assorted family, friends and hangers-on from the 'hood and back in the day (read: 80's). This bar is one I don't normally like to play at because, while it is close to my home, they charge $5 at the door for live music (of course, the band gets it all) and provide nothing except a stage. We pulled in about $275, plus I'm sure there were 30+ people in before they started charging, plus I put at least 10 people on "the list". The singer from another band I often play with came by and wondered why "we" don't play there. I explained that if "we" could pull 60+ people, guaranteed, it would be probably be worth it. I'm not convinced that we could, but who knows?

• Members

Friday night, we played a venue where we normally play to 100+ people. This time, there were 30 people at the end of the first set and a few more than 60 at the end of the night. Saturday, an hour north, I counted 35 people at the end of the first set. I'm guessing 50 at the end of the night.

We're being told that we sound better than ever and new venues are courting us, so I'm hoping this is because of the upcoming holidays (or some other specific reason) and not a general trend for us. We haven't played to this few people for well over a year.

Has anyone else seen a sudden decrease in attendance?

We had the same problem at our last gig on Nov 12th- Venue that we normally pack, and even on a bad night, would still be better than their norm...

So that night they collected 36 covers at the door, making $180, then padded it by $50 and paid us 230.

To say we were pissed is an understatement. I just talked with the manager last night and told him flat out that the covers are killing him. He can't get people in there without a cover any other night.. I told him we want a guaranteed flat rate in writing going forward, and no more covers at the door, period. He said he really likes what we do and really wants us back and that it's up to the owners, not him. He will let me know. I don't care anymore- We're also moving up the food chain, and are sick of under-selling ourselves to these "play for the door" places that are essentially black holes.

• Members

Whereas, I had a really fun, well-attended gig on Friday. It was a reunion (of sorts) of a bunch of musicians and their assorted family, friends and hangers-on from the 'hood and back in the day (read: 80's). This bar is one I don't normally like to play at because, while it is close to my home, they charge $5 at the door for live music (of course, the band gets it all) and provide nothing except a stage. We pulled in about $275, plus I'm sure there were 30+ people in before they started charging, plus I put at least 10 people on "the list". The singer from another band I often play with came by and wondered why "we" don't play there. I explained that if "we" could pull 60+ people, guaranteed, it would be probably be worth it. I'm not convinced that we could, but who knows?

I still can't believe people balk at paying a $5 cover. It's todays equivilant of 50 cents. It doesn't even buy a quart of milk and box of cereal. If you are going out, and don't have a spare $5 that you can afford, please stay home.

Archived