Do you have a mic-stand mounted drink holder?

Chicken Monkey

• Members

We were playing last night and were right under the heat vent or something--it was blazing hot. I kept kneeling to get my water, especially before songs I played harmonica on. I've got to get something to bring my beverage off the floor. I've seen the "swirly" ones, which would work, but I've also seen some w/ a tray attached on which I could put a set list. Any experience or recommendations with any of these?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Do you move your mic stand at all, or is it a "fixture" on stage. Since I play guitar, I don't move my mic stand. In that case, I think it would be OK. Our Singer has one, and she uses it during practice, but it is not allowed during a show. We were finding that she wouldn't move the mic stand at all because there was a drink in there. Plus, it didn't look real attractive for a front person. I think the swirly ones look better than the one she uses though.

• Members

They work great until some drunk bangs into your mic stand and sends your drink all over your gear. Happened to the guitar player in one of my bands. He wasn't happy about Guinness all over his strat and pedalboard.

That's why I keep my cocktail off to the side, and only use the micstand holder for water.

:idea:

• Members

I was gonna add, "one step below a music stand"!

One danger of these things, from my experience, is that if you have any members who tend to drink too much, this will significantly increase the problem, as they have an easier time getting to their beers.

• Members

I always thought the swirly ones looked low-brow, and I'd rather get one built into a tray of some kind, but that's why I'm asking. I'm one of those sorts who tends to drink too much on stage, just because I'm nervous and thirsty, so I think I'd aim to just keep water on the mic stand. Keeping the mouth and throat wet is important when you're yodeling and playing harmonica, and if I'm adding a long chug of water to my switching harps and prepping the harp holder, I'm taking a knee for nearly a minute. That seems less professional than having a mic-mounted deal.

I never thought about some drunks knocking stuff over, but that hardly ever happens--the bass player and I (the two front people) are both well over 6' tall, dressed in black suits, and fairly grave, as most of our songs are about drinking, cheating, or killing. We get dancers, but not much fourth-wall-breaking. I play acoustic, so if my drink gets knocked over, my capos may get wet, but that's about it. I think it's just as risky on the floor around the mic stand as it is hanging off the mic stand.

• Members

My "Odds & Ends" case (essentially a rolling toolbox roughly the size of a small cooler) tucks neatly beside my keyboard stands on most stages. It allows me to get at anything I might need in the course of the evening - and when positioned properly, serves as a great table for glasses. The occasional spills that inevitably occur drip harmlessly to the floor and the "tabletop" wipes clean with a damp cloth.

The 2u open space at the bottom of my keyboard rack serves as the perfect "cubby hole" for stashing my mic bag, IEM transmitter bag and ear bud case as well as my cell phone, car keys, eyeglasses and case - during the gig. It's onstage - both out of reach and more or less out of sight to anybody who isn't standing directly in front of the rack. Anybody wishing to grab anything would have to step up on stage and walk behind my key rig to get to it.

It's my office - and I've got a place for everything I needs - and I keep everythin in it's place! :D

• Members

I use one and I don't like the way it looks in pictures. In fact, I used to make comments about KISS using them in concert in the early to mid 90s. Then again, we aren't KISS, so...

The other guitarist uses the one with a tray that you were talking about. I use the On-Stage Stands one. I need it because I hate bending over all the time to pick up my drink from the floor, so I keep it at arm's length.

One compromise I might consider is putting it off to the side on a different mic stand, used only for the drink and out of camera shot, then keeping the main microphone stand free and clear of it.

Also, I rarely put a soda pop or mixed drink or beer in them either. I almost always use water bottles with caps, just in case someone knocks it over.

• Members

One compromise I might consider is putting it off to the side on a different mic stand, used only for the drink and out of camera shot, then keeping the main microphone stand free and clear of it.

Also, I rarely put a soda pop or mixed drink or beer in them either. I almost always use water bottles with caps, just in case someone knocks it over.

Two compelling ideas.

• Members

I understand the functionality, but honestly, I think they look as lame as a music stand on stage.

I do agree but we use them. It is just very convenient for my 3 piece band that has very little down time between songs. Usually just bottled water and always within arms length. Reading this thread I think we will move them off our mic stands and move them to the side for quick access.

We got ours at MF.

• Members

My band's singer has one of the trays that attaches to his mic stand. It holds drinks, but it also holds his harps so he doesn't have to fumble around for them mid-song, and he keeps a watch on it as well to keep track of set times. He rarely if ever moves his mic stand around, so it works out well for him. As for me, I'm always moving the stand around, so it wouldn't work so well. I'm toying with the idea of putting a stool next to my amp with a drink, picks, maybe the setlist on it so I don't have to bend over to get a drink or put the drink on my amp. We'll tuck it away so it's unobtrusive.

• Moderators

I agree with kmart, I think it's kinda dorky. What's the issue with leaning over and picking it off the ground? I like motion on stage. The simple act of leaning over and grabbing a swig of whatever while you're laying out is action. But once it's in a "cup holder" thingy, it looks like the next step is a recliner and remote.

Stand up, move over to your drink, lean over, pic it up and drink, and do it before your cue. Rock. :thu:

• Members

I agree with kmart, I think it's kinda dorky. What's the issue with leaning over and picking it off the ground? I like motion on stage. The simple act of leaning over and grabbing a swig of whatever while you're laying out is action. But once it's in a "cup holder" thingy, it looks like the next step is a recliner and remote.

Stand up, move over to your drink, lean over, pic it up and drink, and do it before your cue. Rock.
:thu:

We're often cramped for space, as I'm on stage w/ an upright bass and pedal steel. Maybe a 1/4 of the time I bend over and stand up, I bump into the mic. And dicking around between songs isn't action, it's wasted time. At least the way I do it :o.

Archived