This is what event posters should look like...

oldno.7

• Members

I guess my questions are...#1- in the day and age of social and mobile media are bands still using physical posters and flyers as an important part of their marketing efforts? #2- are they finding the effort effective... are they getting people out to shows based on the info of a flyer. There's certainly something to be said about creative and eye catching artwork... but for the average band trying to build a following, what is it really selling?

1) We still find that printed posters inside the venue two weeks prior is not only effective, but expected. Last fall we had a gig and the posters got held up (our fault) and never sent to the venue. The manager called me and asked a few days before the gig why we never sent them. I ended up with my foot in my mouth and apologetic. The worst part was that it was simply the worst attendance we ever had at that bar- Maybe coincidence, but I took over the posters and they NEVER go out late anymore. Lesson learned.

2) It's funny, one local band prints posters with a really hot red headed female singer dressed up in lingerie .. It got MY attention, so I went out to check them out... Turns out that was her like 25 years ago, now shes a fat ugly pig. BUT people don't seem to care cause she can sing the {censored} out of anyone around here. She can do Heart's old material like nobody's business. Now, granted, I still feel it's false advertising lol, but I have to give them credit, they are one of only a handful bands in the area that draw better than us.. for now! Bottom line - sex still sells.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

1) We still find that printed posters inside the venue two weeks prior is not only effective, but expected. Last fall we had a gig and the posters got held up (our fault) and never sent to the venue. The manager called me and asked a few days before the gig why we never sent them. I ended up with my foot in my mouth and apologetic. The worst part was that it was simply the worst attendance we ever had at that bar- Maybe coincidence, but I took over the posters and they NEVER go out late anymore. Lesson learned.

Yup... our clubs require the same. One month prior to the show we send 10 posters for them to paper their joint. Some we've given a stack of 100 and a Sharpie since we play on regular rotation. We let them fill out the dates and hang them. But I guess that was really my question: why not come up with a simple, static design that really brands the band and also clues patrons in to when your appearing next. Although I love creative poster design I find that most posters I see may be eye catching but rarely go the next step in cementing the critical info: who and when? If you're placing them in the venue then there is no need to even mention it? Our posters are pretty big... 32x24 so there's no real chance of missing them... and since people are usually clued into seeing them at our regular clubs most eyes are usually just scanning whatever the next date is at the clubs. Although I think posters are important I can tell you that we supply them 100% for the bar's benefit. Half the time we show up and they haven't even been posted... but that's OK.... that's their fault, not ours. Most of our marketing is done via the web. One FB event, a video promo, a few wall posts and an email prior to the show. Without that we would be dead in the water.

• Members

I understand her point entirely, but here's the thing...

Actually hers were the ones that looked like bridal shower invitations.

Where / when / who / stupid picture.

I guess I am guilty of pitching to an audience of me. When I see a really weird flyer, I just want to know who'd come up with such a thing. I have seen some lame bands with cool flyers, for sure. But, I have seen some really good bands that the only reason i saw them at all was because they had some kind of puzzling flyer that compelled me to get to their gig. I think it must be more of the alternative/punk scene that is like that. These crap bars that have bands 5 nights a week. The walls are covered with flyers and you need somethign that is going to stand out. getting back to the booze kings or whatever, after looking at their webpage, they seem to be excessively cheesy and therefore completely appropriate for on the rocks. For that place, a flyer like that probably stands out as being very professional. Most of the flyers I've seen there are pretty plain and even dumber than the seinfeld thing.

• Members
Hey, a gig is a gig. I'm glad you guys have found your niche.
:D

Brings new meaning to the song "Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy".

Actually, last year we got an offer to play a Gay Rodeo out in Palm Springs. It didn't work out but I wouldn't have had any problem playing there. Actually, I bet there would have been a ton of girls there.

• Members

Brings new meaning to the song "Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy".

Actually, last year we got an offer to play a Gay Rodeo out in Palm Springs. It didn't work out but I wouldn't have had any problem playing there. Actually, I bet there would have been a ton of girls there.

There would have been a bunch of women. And you would never hear the term "Rodeo Queen" again in the same way. As long as folks have a good time and nobody gets too badly hurt (it is rodeo, afterall). Mark C.

• Members

I went and saw a band at a gay country nightclub in Las Vegas back in the early 90s. What caught my attention most was that, unlike the "regular" gay clubs where it was pretty obvious who was gay and who wasn't just by the dress and the mannerisms, the gay cowboys looked virtually identical to their straight counterparts.

The jeans were slightly tighter and the moustaches just a bit more perfectly coiffed, but that was about it.

• Members

We print off 11x17's and deliver 4-5 of them to the venue a couple weeks ahead of the gig for them to display, then we try to come up with a few other choice places depending on the expected crowd.

This was the one I put together for our last gig:

nextbardec1sm2.jpg

• Members

Some cool posters in here. We have sort of a formula that we follow which is basically our logo, any kind of logo/symbols I can swipe from the venue, date, address, and some sort of artsy element. Here's an example.

That's our usual formula, too - we try to keep them consistent from venue to venue.

392936_10150438170010272_84125810271_107

• Members
Poster designed by the venue... funny cuz we got top billing but you can barely see the venue info. Then again it's just posting on Facebook and inside the venue.

Yeah, that's really the only place you can display them anyhow. Not like you need the address when the reader is already there. :)

Archived