This is what event posters should look like...

oldno.7

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Too much text.

Hah!

That's a light summer read compared to the War & Peace that typically happens for our annual fundraiser, also taking place tonight.

This isn't the final version, which also includes more text for a special guest performer and our opening act, but you get the idea...

390854_204931926251312_130980790313093_4

And this year's poster is scaled WAY back compared to some from previous years:

Last year

228701_130982186979620_130980790313093_2

Year before

226279_131147590296413_130980790313093_2

• Members

My opinion is that you should be able to get the main gist of the event with a glance. If you have to spend too much time stopping to read the thing, then the poster is a fail. People should be able to know When, Where, What when simply passing by the poster in a window. If you want to include other text on there that they need to stop and read, that's fine. Just make sure the MOST IMPORTANT details are treated as such.

The OPs poster isn't a BAD poster by any means. I just don't think it rises to the level of "THIS is what event posters should look like"...

• Members

Too much text, in too many varieties of fonts. But I didn't really notice the words...

Yeah. First lesson of desktop publishing: Just because you *can* use five different fonts on every page, doesn't mean you *should*.

Otherwise, yeah, too many words, and nice legs.

• Members

My opinion is that you should be able to get the main gist of the event with a glance. .

If you can't tell that it's a band flyer for a holiday gig withing .002 seconds than I don't know what you expect, a flow chart? Festivus and Drink jump right off the page.

Personally I think it's fantastic .

• Members

English not your first language?

Has nothing to do with the language. It's the use of it. Tons of text but no start time and no address of the venue? And writing out the date instead of using numerals is cute for a Xmas poster I suppose, but just means you have to spend that much more time reading the damned thing to find the important information.

Make the place, date, time, and band bold and clear. All the other stuff that only appeals to Seinfeld fans should be made much smaller or left off the poster. Again, it's not bad but spend some time with it and do a 2nd or 3rd draft and it could be much, much better. Hardly the example of what all event posters should be like.

• Members

The OP's poster and several others here don't have the street address. I'd say that's pretty essential info to include. A website would be nice to include, perhaps in smaller text.

I don't see any QR codes here. I don't use these, but they seem to be growing in popularity. Even some Youtube videos have them now. (In case you haven't seen one, here's some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qr_code)

When I help out with event posters, one question I ask is, "how does it look from across the room?" That is, how will it look to someone who walks by the poster from a distance. Will it catch their attention, and convey enough info to get them to come over and look at it more closely?

• Members

When I help out with event posters, one question I ask is, "how does it look from across the room?" That is, how will it look to someone who walks by the poster from a distance. Will it catch their attention, and convey enough info to get them to come over and look at it more closely?

By those standards the example in the OP passes with five stars.

• Members

You guys are just precious. First it's bitching about too much text, too hard to read and then drift right into "But it doesn't tell me enough!"

L Oh f'kin L.

Well yeah, that's the point. It wouldn't be "too much text" if it conveyed all the necessary info. The fact that is doesn't is what's makes what is there too much.

• Members

The OP's poster and several others here don't have the street address. I'd say that's pretty essential info to include. A website would be nice to include, perhaps in smaller text.

Usually, we just put the venue and town. The towns we play are small enough that everyone already knows where they are.

Archived