What's your favorite/most essential gig-related non-musical gear?

wheresgrant3

• Members

I had a funny thought while strolling through Home Depot this afternoon in search of some velcro strips to secure a wireless unit on a rack case during shows... I spend as much time and possibly money buying hardware, tools, accessories for non-music related equipment to gig with as I do cables, guitar picks and musical accessories. In fact I'm always on the search on how to improve the existing gear I have (which with frequent gigging gets worn, torn, lost or stolen).

For instance my ongoing obsession with low priced LED flashlights. I've probably spent $100 on flashlights over the years as they get stepped on, lost...etc. Last year I bought one of these puppies http://www.baycoonline.com/nightstick-2i21.html and one month ago it went missing. I gave it a week or two and then ran back out to Lowes (it was on sale for $12.99) and bought two more. Why? Because at 2:07 AM when the DJ kicks on and the stage lights fade I'm often left nubbing around in complete darkness trying to repack all my gear. This LED light is like shining daylight in a small area. It works well enough (and was insanely affordable) that I would probably stop by a Lowes on the way to a gig if I knew I left it behind. Anyone else have obsessions over non music related gear that make your gig preparedness that much easier?

• Members

My truck cap has been a godsend for me these last few years. I originally had a tonneau cover on the back of my truck and was only able to get the keyboards and my old Peavey amp underneath. I can now fit more gear in the trailer during bad weather situations. :thu:

• Members

1) Got this just a few months ago, have only used in a handful of times. Can't imagine not having it ever again:

DV016_Jpg_Large_H69216.001.005_black_mic

What used to take 4-5 trips and required lugging things heavier than I should carry on my shoulders & back can now be accomplished in 2 trips, with no wear and tear on my aging frame.

2) Black golf (hand) towel: the one I found comes with a small loop of fabric sewn at a corner. Slap a carabiner clip through that, and it will stay attached to my body or any case or bag I want before or after a gig, and easily hangs from a floor tom leg within easy reach during shows for a quick wipe of the brow.

3) Custom made a case for my in-ears & more out of one of these:

74902280-c4bc-47c1-a5f7-2816e3e28667_300

Took most of the internal storage cups out, spent about $20 on some craft-store pfoam and black felt, and now have safe/secure storage for my custom earbuds, body-pack & wall-wart, all associated cords & cables (and some spare generic buds & cables), plus a 3 button MIDI stompbox & cable, extension cord/power-strip and a few other essentials.

4) iPhone (and now iPad) loaded with apps: maps & directions, web browser with bookmarks for local gear store's pages, numerous music-specific apps (Guitar Toolkit, etc.), and Kindle for any down time.

• Members

1) Got this just a few months ago, have only used in a handful of times. Can't imagine not having it ever again:

DV016_Jpg_Large_H69216.001.005_black_mic
What used to take 4-5 trips and required lugging things heavier than I should carry on my shoulders & back can now be accomplished in 2 trips, with no wear and tear on my aging frame.

2) Black golf (hand) towel: the one I found comes with a small loop of fabric sewn at a corner. Slap a carabiner clip through that, and it will stay attached to my body or any case or bag I want before or after a gig, and easily hangs from a floor tom leg within easy reach during shows for a quick wipe of the brow.

3) Custom made a case for my in-ears & more out of one of these:

74902280-c4bc-47c1-a5f7-2816e3e28667_300

Took most of the internal storage cups out, spent about $20 on some craft-store pfoam and black felt, and now have safe/secure storage for my custom earbuds, body-pack & wall-wart, all associated cords & cables (and some spare generic buds & cables), plus a 3 button MIDI stompbox & cable, extension cord/power-strip and a few other essentials.

4) iPhone (and now iPad) loaded with apps: maps & directions, web browser with bookmarks for local gear store's pages, numerous music-specific apps (Guitar Toolkit, etc.), and Kindle for any down time.

Now we're cooking with gas. I like that Husky folding storage. I have a napsack from Gander Mtn that is indestructible and serves nearly the same purpose but doesn't offer the protection your unit does. I've bent my wireless antenna twice just sitting in a pocket.

I've owned a Rock n Roller cart for a while now. My only complaint (transporting keyboards) is it's tough to keep things secured especially when pushing up an incline. I've tried bungies, rope, and straps. Things tend to slide around on that narrow frame when gravity is at play.

• Members

I've owned a Rock n Roller cart for a while now. My only complaint (transporting keyboards) is it's tough to keep things secured especially when pushing up an incline. I've tried bungies, rope, and straps. Things tend to slide around on that narrow frame when gravity is at play.

Have you tried their proprietary bungies? Not sure if they'd be any improvement, but I know they offer them, as well as other accessories.

Also, how about applying some skateboard grip/other friction tape to the frame itself to help keep things in place a little better?

• Members

A few years ago, at Kmart of all places, I bought a hand truck/dolly that quickly converts to a roller cart for about $40. It's been a real back saver at many gigs and has also been a big help during my recent move.

I'd also be out of the gig business without my '94 GMC Safari utility van.

• Members

Black spirally cable wrap.

I use it for my send, return, amp input, and channel switcher for my amp. Wraps four cables into one and instead of running back and forth from amp to pedal board it's just one and essentially one "cable." I'd wrap the pedal power in there as well but I'm worried about EMF messing with the sound :idk:

Other than that...a cooler :D

• Members

Surprisingly, my Musicians Friend brand gear bag. Holds an amazing amount of crap in a small footprint. I never go to a gig or practice without it.

I have one of these but I consider it a piece of music-related gear since it's specifically designed for gigging.

My mini-maglite comes in first. I find that I use it many times during a gig to adjust dials and help me plug stuff in the right jacks and find outlets on dark stages.

I would have to say my Leatherman multitool is the second most valuable non-musical related gig item for me. I use it from everything to changing strings to making on-the-spot repairs.

• Members

Money.

Aside from that -- a clip-on Vornado fan, a folding handtruck, and a flashlight are the three most important things I can think of; they're needed nearly every gig.

In previous bands I was the "go-to" guy for stuff, and I'd generally have a small toolbox with me full of guitar picks, guitar and bass strings, a couple drumsticks, a soldering iron, some spare cash, a couple extra cables of various lengths and connectors, etc. Nowadays I assume that I'm playing with people professional enough to carry their own {censored} when they need it.

• Members

Fan. I got one of those WalMart/Lowes black Honeywell fans (about $15). Next is a fold up cart from Costco (about $24) for wheeling the K10 if it's a long way from where I am. I attached a bunji cord to it, opened up one end of the hooks with a grinder, and use that end to hold the amp to the cart.

I buy all my cases at Goodwill type stores; they have usually a great selection of cases, they are super cheap, like in the $1.50 range, so you can upgrade really cheap.

Archived