Do you drink (not get drunk) at gigs?

guitarguy19

• Members

I've seen bands that didn't drink but played great but couldn't relate to the audience and I've seen bands that sucked but drank that the crowd loved.

If I wasn't drinking for a gig, I'd have one beer and then just have the bartender fill the bottle up with water to keep up the appearance of drinking.

I know it sounds dumb but if you're broke and want to drink, very few will buy you a sympathy drink; on the other hand, if you go to a bar intending not to drink, for whatever reason, drinking people feel out of place with a non drinker and be more than willing to buy you a drink. Kinda like getting the attention of a stripper by ignoring her; works "almost" every time.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absolutely never. About twenty gigs into my gigging life, I had a beer before going on and played the worst I've ever played live. I've sporadically had a beer before going on since then, but always hours and hours in advance, with something to eat in between. Your coordination and timing goes to {censored} on the drums if you're even 10% inebriated, plus it takes the edge and nerves off your performance.

• Members

Just having a little fun but frankly I don't think everyone was giving an honest answer. That was my point.

I was perfectly honest in my answer. The risk of DUI isn't worth it. I have a fairly difficult gig, and I need my wits about me, so limiting what I drink allows me to give 100% towards my performance.

In my hippy band, which is definitely more of a party band, I still follow the same idea, not for the performance part, but the responsibility/DUI factor. I actually was on the verge of quitting that band because one of the guys was getting way out of hand. He had moved away and came back once every couple months for a gig, and used that as a "reunion" with all his friends and was getting to the point where he could barely stand. I finally told him that while that might be fun for him, it's not fun for the rest of us who have to deal with a last set that sounds like crap. I said when I'm on my hour long ride home reflecting on the gig, and what a horrible time I had, why should I continue, since that gig was all about having fun. So I gave him an ultimatum, either sober up and play with me, or keep being a drunk and find someone else. I didn't say don't drink at all, I said moderate yourself. Don't drink the 12 shots of Jager the fans give you. Don't drink a half dozen beers on top of it. He got the message and we've been fine ever since. We're amazed that in 20+ years he's never been popped for a DUI, and as horrible as it is, has never been in an accident and killed someone.

• Members

Just an observation, but the number of responses indicating that people aren't drinking at gigs because they fear DUI tickets or checkpoints vs the number that indicate people fear driving while intoxicated/potentially not having all their faculties available is a little troubling to me, considering I'm sharing those same roads after my gigs...

• Members

Just an observation, but the number of responses indicating that people aren't drinking at gigs because they fear DUI tickets or checkpoints vs the number that indicate people fear driving while intoxicated/potentially not having all their faculties available is a little troubling to me, considering I'm sharing those same roads after my gigs...

I'm not sure I understand the distinction you're making.

The issue of driving while intoxicated or impaired is certainly one issue. But the technical aspects of how checkpoints are administered and/or DUI tickets are handed out present a number of issues in their own right - many of which have little or nothing to do with a driver's ability to function. The reality is that in most places if you get pulled over and have had anything to drink (regardless of whether your driving is affected or not) - you're going to FAIL whatever field sobriety tests that are administered to you - by design. ...and then you're going to blow into a roadside breathalyzer that's been rolling around on the floor of the car of whatever officer pulled you over. At that point, you live or die by the "tenths" column of a measurement provided by a little black box owned by the folks who stands to collect $10,000+ if the right number comes up.

Again - I'm certainly not defending anybody driving while impaired or intoxicated -however, it's easy to understand why somebody might choose NOT to drink at all out of cautious respect for checkpoints and DUIs in their own right.

• Members

I'm not sure I understand the distinction you're making.

I think it's pretty clear:

Lots of people saying "I don't want to get caught driving under the influence", not anywhere near as many saying "I simply don't want to drive under the influence" in the first place.

I understand that in some areas, DUI checkpoints are simply revenue machines, and in some areas, even those who are under the legal limit may find themselves victims of over-zealous police who are looking to boost their ticket volume more than keep the roads safe.

But that's not the point of my post, obviously.

• Members

Lots of people saying "I don't want to
get caught
driving under the influence", not anywhere near as many saying "I simply don't want to drive under the influence" in the first place.

I understand that in some areas, DUI checkpoints are simply revenue machines, and in some areas, even those who are under the legal limit may find themselves victims of over-zealous police who are looking to boost their ticket volume more than keep the roads safe.

This may be controversial, but the DUI limit is lowered pretty routinely, to the point that you can get a ticket for having a BAC that doesn't have much impact on your driving.

• Members

Lots of people saying "I don't want to
get caught
driving under the influence", not anywhere near as many saying "I simply don't want to drive under the influence" in the first place.

I still don't think you get my point. While few have came out and said "I simply don't want to drive under the influence" - I can't recall ANYBODY saying "I want to get drunk and drive". For most folks there IS a level of alcohol consumption somewhere between zero and what qualifies as "under the influence" in both legal and practical terms.

I'm interpretting those saying they don't drink at gigs out of concern over checkpoints and DUI's - as meaning they don't want to take the inherent risk of having to debate where an acceptable level of alchohol consumption ends and "under the influence" begins given how checkpoints and DUIs are administered - not that citing their reason for teetotalling on gigs as being a concern over checkpoints and DUIs is somehow means that they're not concerned with drunk driving as your position seems to suggest.

• Members

That's right..the ONLY reason I don't rob banks and murder those that annoy me is solely because it's illegal. :rolleyes:

• Members

I'm interpretting those saying they don't drink at gigs out of concern over checkpoints and DUI's - as meaning they don't want to take the inherent risk of having to debate where an acceptable level of alchohol consumption ends and "under the influence" begins given how checkpoints and DUIs are administered - not that citing their reason for teetotalling on gigs as being a concern over checkpoints and DUIs is somehow means that they're not concerned with drunk driving as your position seems to suggest.

That's your interpretation, and not mine, necessarily. I see a lot of 'I know I can drink 'x' number of drinks, so I'm drinking that many' responses where it seems people would drink more if not for those pesky DUI checkpoints. Lots of 'gaming the system to get as much as possible without getting nabbed by the law.

Like I said, it seemed more people commented on not wanting to get caught for DUI, not that they didn't want to drive intoxicated in the first place.

My 'position', if that's how you take it, is no more than what the posts in this thread say.

I'm not attempting to start an argument over it, nor to cast judgement on how many drinks someone decides they can/want/should have before they attempt to drive.

• Members

That's right..the ONLY reason I don't rob banks and murder those that annoy me is solely because it's illegal.
:rolleyes:

Holy non sequitur, is there an actual point in your response?

Look back over this thread...

More comments about not wanting to get caught for DUI than not wanting to drive under the influence.

I made an observation, which is accurate. You don't see it the same as I do, that's fine.

• Members

Typically 1 beer an hour. I never take the first sip until there is sound coming out of the PA.

This is also my plan. I could have written this post.

If it's a private event, I let the host/hiring party be my guide. If it's a family/non drinking environment, then I don't drink at all.

• Members

I know it sounds dumb but if you're broke and want to drink, very few will buy you a sympathy drink; on the other hand, if you go to a bar intending not to drink, for whatever reason, drinking people feel out of place with a non drinker and be more than willing to buy you a drink. Kinda like getting the attention of a stripper by ignoring her; works "almost" every time.

That's not dumb at all and actually a pretty keen observation.

• Members

I got REALLY {censored}-faced Friday night, but didn't achieve {censored}-faced status til after the gig. Pump was somewhat primed, though. The club I played is a dangerous spot for that kind of thing, being 5 minutes from where I live, and also being a reunion with the drunks who used to hang out there during the decade or so I floated in and out of the house band. Much alcohol was consumed during that time by me and my band mates.

• Members

Number of responses?

I see 83 posts before yours and the only one that even mentioned DUI was mine.

EDIT: Ok I saw two more. Still...

What is your point, or do you not have one (again) and are just stirring the pot?

• Members

Number of responses?

I see 83 posts before yours and the only one that even mentioned DUI was mine.

EDIT: Ok I saw two more. Still...

What is your point, or do you not have one (again) and are just stirring the pot?

Ok, since you're obviously playing dense...

AGAIN, the point was I was making an observation. People do that from time to time.

See how it says that's what I was doing right at the beginning of that post you quoted?

If its STILL not clear from that, please see my subsequent posts after that: I have more than explained myself on the matter, unless of course you're not actually playing at being dense.

if you don't 'get' my point from those, that's your problem.

It's ironic, though, that someone who accuses me of 'stirring the pot' claims there's only one post that matches my description, then realizes that number is actually a few more, yet still continues with the post accusing me of instigating something.

As far as I can see, you're the only one looking to start {censored} here and now.

• Members

I do get Kmart's point. Kinda like this. You have one person who says he doesn't want to steal anything because he's afraid of getting caught. Person number 2 says they don't want to steal because of the moral issues, etc. They both say they don't want to steal. If you had to leave your gear where one of them had access to it, which one would you choose?

Archived