Do you drink (not get drunk) at gigs?

guitarguy19

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I usually only drink water. I have to sing quite a bit and I think it's best to just drink water for my voice. However, there have been times where I will have a beer, or even less often a shot, if someone insists on everyone in the band having a drink with them. Many times it's been the owners of the bars.

• Members
I have to chuckle at some of these responses. Its as if people want to outdo each other at how little they drink. It's a bar; your in a band; play well; be responsible but enjoy yourself and don't apologize.

For me, I buy 1 10 oz Mich ultra; pour it into 3 shot glasses- and sip 1 during each set. But I've never been able to finish all 3 "shots" in one night.
;)

a question was asked and people gave their answers. How is that "outdoing" each other? Did you want those of us who stated "little or nothing" to give an inaccurate answer instead?

• Members

I drink water on stage, usually copious amounts, but then again, I don't drink alcohol off-stage either.

Someone sends a round or shots to the band? Mine goes down by my water, which I will then use to toast the patron along with everyone else. And then I'll probably pass the drink to one of the other guys if they want it.

Same here.

It hasn't been much of a problem in my recent bands, but back when I was younger, I had a few people get mad at me because I didn't drink the shot/beer they sent up to the stage. They thought it was rude...

• Members

Same here.

It hasn't been much of a problem in my recent bands, but back when I was younger, I had a few people get mad at me because I didn't drink the shot/beer they sent up to the stage. They thought it was rude...

The staff at the house gig are trained to send a non A beer to the stage for me when someone wants to buy the band a round. Most people dont even know I dont drink in our crowd.

• Members

No drink for me. I do almost all privates and corps, and since I'm the leader I have to deal with the event planners and clients. Drinking is simply not allowed at these type of events 99% of the time. OTOH, if a private client offers me a glass on wine, I sometimes take it.
Years ago I was in a rock band that did a regular gig at a pretty rough club and the deal was 50.00 a man and all the beer we could drink. We did our best to make it a not so hot deal for the club. We would call for another picher over the mike and up it would come. Lots of fun.

• Members

Our rider is always drinks for the band. That said there are 7 of us. I used to have a beer a set, maybe one between, but found that although I felt more relaxed, I played worse, more sloppy. When we were doing it for nothing or even a very cheap price I wasn

• Members

I do a little but really limit it, mostly because it really hurts my voice (especially beer). So, I don't have anything before we start. Then I may have a shot between sets, but that's about it. Depending on the gig, I'll often have a few after we get off stage.

To compensate, I try to get trashed 3-4 nights a week while sitting in front of the TV :D

• Members

None for me thanks. For three reasons:
1) My playing goes in the toilet if I'm any bit impaired
2) DUI traps everywhere, just isn't worth the pinch.
3) I'm the "leader" and have to collect the $$$ at the end of the night, doesn't look too professional talking to the bar management while pie-eyed and slurring.

• Members

None for me thanks....

3) I'm the "leader" and have to collect the $$$ at the end of the night, doesn't look too professional talking to the bar management while pie-eyed and slurring.

This isn't meant as a criticism of your choice not to drink - but rather to point out that for most folks there's more than a couple of steps between teetotalling and being pie-eyed and slurring.

• Members

My drinking ranges from none to moderate

1) My typical drive for gigs is 50 miles or more, often with long boring stretches of highway, be easy to doze off

2) DUI roadblocks are common, and since I have a CDL my limit is .04%

3) Most of the time I need every dollar I get to pay bills with, easy to run up a big tab at some of the places we play,

so unless the drink is complimentary I just can't afford it.

• Members
I have to chuckle at some of these responses. Its as if people want to outdo each other at how little they drink. It's a bar; your in a band; play well; be responsible but enjoy yourself and don't apologize.

For me, I buy 1 10 oz Mich ultra; pour it into 3 shot glasses- and sip 1 during each set. But I've never been able to finish all 3 "shots" in one night.
;)

I hear ya. No one wants a bunch bumbling drunken fools up there, I just do what works for me. Sometimes a round of beer or shots are sent to the stage. I partake. Halloween I had this Rob Zombie costume on. I had a huge wig, and kept kicking over my beer on stage by accident lol.

We play locally and always cab it.

There was about a 5 year stint where I didn't touch a drop. Just drank diet coke. It wasn't a big deal.

• Members

This isn't meant as a criticism of your choice not to drink - but rather to point out that for most folks there's more than a couple of steps between teetotalling and being pie-eyed and slurring.

I understand, but some people can't be in a bar without trying to drink everything in sight.

• Members

a question was asked and people gave their answers. How is that "outdoing" each other? Did you want those of us who stated "little or nothing" to give an inaccurate answer instead?

Just having a little fun but frankly I don't think everyone was giving an honest answer. That was my point.

• Members

Just having a little fun but frankly I don't think everyone was giving an honest answer. That was my point.

What about this topic would make anybody be less than truthful?

I know there are some younger folks frequenting this forum, but I get the sense that the average age here is above 30 (if not above) 40, and while I may have never been a drinker myself, I'm not blind and can see that once people hit 30 or so, they usually dramatically curtail the drinking for the most part, even if they WERE "Frank the Tank" in college, etc.

• Members

In response to the above age comment, I agree.

I'm 27, and the band i'm in now consumes less than a third of what the bass player and I used to drink in my last band by ourselves. I usually have one or two beforehand and one or two during. We're a bunch of weekend hacks who play for fun and a few bucks, so I usually stay to see the headliner and use that hour+ to get those 2-4 out of my system. We won't talk about the last band, but I will say it sucks sitting on your amp on the sidewalk at 4:00 in the morning because you can't remember dammit about how to drive a car...

Archived