Do you drink (not get drunk) at gigs?

guitarguy19

• Members

Yep, me too. My guys love it when we get drink tokens or tickets, because I divvy them up. I haven't had any alcohol since 1978.It was weird to get used to playing sober at first, but it didn't take long to get used to it and now I can't imagine drinking at all. But I don't judge anyone else who does, as long that they don't get trashed and make me look bad.

For me, it's a case of never starting in the first place.

And yeah, I spread out drink tickets when we have them among the band, usually skewing towards whomever has been working the hardest that day, etc. Or I'll save some for my wife if she comes to a gig.

And spot on about what it would take for me to react negatively about it. Hold your own, literally and figuratively, and I got no problem with it. When it impacts the show, that's another story altogether.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not a big drinkrr, I drink Coors Light as well.

During a set, I'll have 1 Coors light and a glass of diet coke. I'll drink from both. Between sets, I'll "re-load" my stage area, ready for the next set, then I'll more than likely have a diet coke between sets.

That's pretty much exactly my bar gig M.O. Not necessarily Coors Light, but a beer (often lite-ish) and a diet soda. Occasionally I start off with a vodka/(insert house energy drink here). Private/corporate events differ. If it's a wedding reception or corporate event, generally no alcohol onstage. If it's an actual gig that is a "party", it depends on the atmosphere and circumstances. If it's just a party that happens to feature a band I'm in, or a "jam" that has a semi-public crowd, anything is possible, up to and including me requiring a driver to get me home legally and safely.

• Members

I typically start the night out stone cold sober - and don't drink anything except diet coke until we've finished the first set. IF that set went well - I may have a shot and 2 beers (one beer I'll drink between 1st and 2nd sets ... the 2nd beer, I'll nurse through the 2nd set. IF second set goes well too - I'll consider repeating the same order between 2nd and 3rd sets. For me it's all predicated on how the night is going. If we're having a rough night as a band - on I'm struggling individually - I don't mind playing without a drop.

• Members

1 beer prior and 1 beer per set along with water.

Just enough to keep me relaxed. I've never gotten drunk on stage.

I'm in an interesting situation, we've fired or lost our last 2 singers because they drank excessively on stage and/or elsewhere.

I'm currently the only one that drinks in the band, and a couple of the others really have issues with alcohol, though they've never said anything to me about my social drinking. They seem to be OK with it, but I'm wondering.

• Members

Me? Never.

I don't mind if the other guys do it, but I will say that some of the guys I've played with who "drink a few to losen up" are drunk by the end of the night and sound like crap. So you've got to watch out if you're doing that.

Private Party, Wedding, or Country Club? A band member is going to piss me off if drinking is more important to them than making $2-3x what we make in bars.

• Members

Yes. I order a beer before each set, and sip on it. I'll finish it up on break and order another one. So 3 beers a night.

If my throat is bothering me, I might add a shot of bourbon for the last set.

Twenty-five years ago, I played a wedding (I was in my early 20s) with an open bar and got {censored}faced drunk. The band sat me down at the next week's practice and we had a come-to-Jesus meeting about my behavior. I was so mortified that I haven't gotten drunk at a gig since. Feeling good? Buzzed? Sure. Out of control and slurring and stumbling? No.

• Members

I don't have a conceptual or moral issue with drinking at shows as long as performance is not impaired. In general I would be against drinking while working, but as several people have said, seeing the band having beers or shots can contribute to the party atmosphere, which is good. Also, for better or worse, bands drinking while they play is a well-established norm and I don't think it carries the same stigma it would for, say, a bus driver.

So, sometimes I'll have a few drinks at a show, but any more, most commonly I'll have a drink with dinner or during the waiting-to-play down time, but when we're actually playing I'm drinking for hydration (I sweat a lot) and energy, so it will be either water or cola. Often I'll use drink tickets to get drinks for friends who come out to support us. But, I do drink anything bought for the band by fans! So far, that has not resulted in enough booze to impair performance. Well, there was one show I recall some years ago where the band was really on fire and we got several rounds, and at one point the bartender came up and mixed a drink in my mouth while I was playing---I felt it that night!

That all applies to bar gigs or similar less formal shows; at something like a corporate party I would not drink unless is was quite clear that the people who hired us were cool with it (for instance, they offer us drinks).

• Members

and always stop at least two hours before I'll be driving home.

This scares the hell out of me as it's basically russian roulette. It takes such a small amount to be over the limit in most states that I have decided the only way I will ever have more than one drink is if I have a ride set up.

Just not worth the risk.

• Members

I have to chuckle at some of these responses. Its as if people want to outdo each other at how little they drink. It's a bar; your in a band; play well; be responsible but enjoy yourself and don't apologize.

For me, I buy 1 10 oz Mich ultra; pour it into 3 shot glasses- and sip 1 during each set. But I've never been able to finish all 3 "shots" in one night. ;)

Archived