What is the best handheld video/audio recorder ?

sidewinderga

• Members

I've been looking around in musicans friend & youtube looking for the pocket size recorders. I want one with video and has the large mics. It needs to be rechargeable battery too & have a zoom. Does one exist or is some on the way ? Also what is some good software to make videos that are split & multi screens ?

• Members

Looks like you need a standard video camera. Stuff like the Flip are gone because phones can do better video and also do other stuff like be used as a phone.

Handheld with big mics? Not sure what you mean but you can attach external mics to camcorders and phones. The only pocket sized camcorders are cell phones right now and I doubt if that is going to change since the Flip died.

• Members

Looks like you need a standard video camera. Stuff like the Flip are gone because phones can do better video and also do other stuff like be used as a phone.

Handheld with big mics? Not sure what you mean but you can attach external mics to camcorders and phones. The only pocket sized camcorders are cell phones right now and I doubt if that is going to change since the Flip died.

What sucks is that iphone is so focused on video quality, which is great, but they totally forgo audio quality. They even changed their pin connections on the new iphone so now the Mikey for iphone from Blue doesn't work, although hopefully someone's engineering a third party condensor mic for iphone use.

• Members

As j said... your heading into camcorder territory. The features you are looking for can be found on Pocket sized cameras but the performance is middling. Pocket sized Flip cameras (Flips, Kodak Playsports, Zoom Q3/Q4) all take decent video in good light, and terrible video in low light. I have a Zoom Q3 which I use as an audio recorder... the video in lower light is almost unusable. Flip made great camcorders until Cisco dumped them.

• Members

I've been looking around in musicans friend & youtube looking for the pocket size recorders. I want one with video and has the large mics. It needs to be rechargeable battery too & have a zoom. Does one exist or is some on the way ?

here's how bad my camera picks up loud music at our gig.

[video=youtube;XJhbqXNmwQ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJhbqXNmwQ0

• Members

Try recording through the board and do a SMPTE sync after the fact. Most camcorders are not made to deal with the volume of a live band. I'd separate the audio from the video to get the best quality of both. It's not the size of the mic that makes the difference. It's the quality and capability of the recording device.

• Members

There are add-ons for iPhones that can handle better audio - and stands for mounting them. But, for my money, I think I'd try to get video with the iPhone and audio with this: http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4n/

It can capture a stereo mix from the board and has two pretty decent mics for capturing the rest of the atmosphere. 4 individual tracks so you can touch up the mixes later.

• Members

And if you want good video get a decent tripod with a fluid head. Zoom in with a handled flip or an iPhone and you will have some very shaky, pretty much worthless video. You can get halfway decent video with an inexpensive camcorder but you need something besides a hand to hold it.

• Members

^ My guess is they want to set it and forget it - with probably more than one camera/iPhone - and have multiple screens showing the whole band. A fluid head isn't necessary in that kind of situation. You bring up a good point tho - never try to zoom in, if you can. Even with a mid grade camcorder, the picture gets fuzzy. Best to move the cam/iPhone toward the band.

Archived