So we AUDITIONED a keyboard player (The Sequel)

TrickyBoy

• Members

So we played with dude last night. Overall went very well.

Positives:

1. He's really good

2. We sounded way better

3. He's a really good backup singer as well

Overall he slid right in and it was really good. We just started playing through our setlist and for the most part, he was able to keep up with minimal/no "coaching"

We did play over each other a bit, but it was minimal and really I chalk it up to the fact that we're not a "like the record" band, so there will be some adjustments that will need to happen.

My one concern is if he's really OK with learning a bunch of newer stuff. I mean he says he is, but it's also quite obvious that traditional "variety band" fare is his wheelhouse.

I think we're going to give him a couple new tunes to learn, bring him in next week and if it works out, have him play a few gigs with us, but so far, it looks really promising. We'll see...

• Members

How old is he? The only reason that I ask is that in my experience, it seems that as musicians round 40 and move in on 50 they just lose the interest, or maybe they don't have the time, to learn new songs (by new I mean current).

Glad that you found someone though!

• Members

How old is he? The only reason that I ask is that in my experience, it seems that as musicians round 40 and move in on 50 they just lose the interest, or maybe they don't have the time, to learn new songs (by new I mean current).

Glad that you found someone though!

That's pretty funny. I just turned 49. If I were in the situation where I had to learn song 1-40 on the current top 40 list, I'd do it. Most of the players I play with are in their 40s and 50s and would do the same thing if that is what the gig called for. It's called being professional. Then again, if a gig that entailed playing the current top 40 hits didn't interest me, then I wouldn't put myself in that situation to begin with, but don't assume that I'm not willing to do what the gig calls for if your gig doesn't interest me as a player.

As far as your observation TrickyBoy, traditional variety band stuff is probably where he has the most experience. You have the right idea in giving him some specific tunes to learn and see how he does. Give it some time- adding a new member especially a keyboard that can cover a lot of sonic territory is going to take a while for everyone to adjust to.

Also- based on my recent experience with our bass player hiring/firing- make sure you give him the 90 probation period!!!

• Members

So where is he on the technology spectrum? One of those piano/organ guys that has to be dragged kicking and screaming to so much as use a synth preset, or is he a certified synth wiz-oligist? (Most likely he is somewhere in the middle).

Just curious (and admittedly irrelevant): As a musician he seems to be just what the DR. ordered- a quick study who can contribute from the get-go. It speaks well of you and your band that you have enough on the ball to attract someone like that- give yourselves a pat on the back!

• Members

I think it's a combination of not being familiar with the technology needed to create the sounds for the newer songs (a lot of older guys aren't synth programmers by nature) and not liking the new material enough to be inspired to learn the technology. Personally, I'm 50 and I grew up in the age of programming synths so I LIKE the "getting the sound" part of the job as much as the "playing" part. But the main thing is: does he like that band and want to be part of the band? He's joining an on-going entity. If he like the Tricky Dickies and wants to be a member of the Tricky Dickies, the material he plays is secondary. If he's a pro, he'll learn what he needs to learn and have fun doing it.

Congrats to Jason on moving forward and good luck!

Oh...and time to take new photos again.... :facepalm:

• Members

Thanks guys!

A little follow up. I had a long talk with him about an hour ago. He really wants to do this, which is good. I expressed my concerns regarding newer material, and he said all the right things, so unless he's lying to me, we should be able to make this work.

An aside, that I didn't mention in the OP, but I was the one pushing to add keys. The other members were pretty skeptical of what it would add. All three of the others were really surprised at HOW much better we sounded with the keys added. So I think we're all on board with this!

• Members

An aside, that I didn't mention in the OP, but I was the one pushing to add keys. The other members were pretty skeptical of what it would add. All three of the others were really surprised at HOW much better we sounded with the keys added. So I think we're all on board with this!

Part of their skepticism was a product of not wanting to split the take 5 ways. Hopefully the improvement in your sound and increased diversity will result in better pay for everyone!

• Members

You are absolutely right that splitting money one more way was one of the factors that no one was interested in.

Yep. I ran into the same deal when I wanted to add the 2nd singer. Not everyone was convinced that it would pay for itself. Even I couldn't be sure---I hoped she would, but I knew that at least we would sound better musically.

It's hard to completely figure out her exact worth to the band financially, but so far it's worked out. We upped our asking price 33% and have been getting it. That's resulted in about a 25% increase in pay individually per gig. The only question is: "could we have gotten that same money before, but we just didn't ask for it?"

But I guess whether her addition resulted in a band that is actually worth more, or just made us more confident about ourselves..either way, she's been worth it!

• Members

You are absolutely right that splitting money one more way was one of the factors that no one was interested in.

You should be fine.. its gonna up your game and open up more material with a fuller sound. that translates into more money. Plus he sings. Its a no brainer move if you ask me.

• Members

Awesome :thu:. Now when are you gonna add two. LOL. In all seriousness though, I thing this will be a terrific addition. I will also give you some room to be a guitar player instead of just filling parts rhythmically. My advice is if this indeed works out, is to have him learn the best of your previous material and start forging ahead with new unexplored material. Forget trying to get him caught up on all the old material if it's just filling space. He can offer the band a new dynamic on the newer dance oriented stuff.

• Members

My advice is if this indeed works out, is to have him learn the best of your previous material and start forging ahead with new unexplored material. Forget trying to get him caught up on all the old material if it's just filling space.

Good point. Unless it's just a killer song your setlist can't do without, anything you do where you find yourself struggling to shoehorn him into the old arrangement would probably be better replaced by a new song he can really contribute to. Nothing like adding a new member to create a great opportunity to revamp the setlist.

• Members

Awesome
:thu:
. Now when are you gonna add two. LOL. In all seriousness though, I thing this will be a terrific addition. I will also give you some room to be a guitar player instead of just filling parts rhythmically. My advice is if this indeed works out, is to have him learn the best of your previous material and start forging ahead with new unexplored material. Forget trying to get him caught up on all the old material if it's just filling space. He can offer the band a new dynamic on the newer dance oriented stuff.

+1

• Members

Good point. Unless it's just a killer song your setlist can't do without, anything you do where you find yourself struggling to shoehorn him into the old arrangement would probably be better replaced by a new song he can really contribute to. Nothing like adding a new member to create a great opportunity to revamp the setlist.

I wish more bands I've talked to who say they want a keyboard player could wrap their heads around this.

• Members

I wish more bands I've talked to who say they want a keyboard player could wrap their heads around this.

Well, I debated whether to even post it to Jason because he's clearly not an idiot and I'm sure knew that already. Wish I could say the same for so many other bands out in the world, apparently. Such logic such seems obvious, anyway.

To use my example again: we just added a 2nd singer. Now we could just have her stand around and sing back up here and there on a bunch of the songs we've been doing forever (that would be the easy thing to do) OR we could learn some new stuff where having 2 girls singing together is really something that stand outs. :idea:

Seems like a no-brainer, but yeah you're right: It's amazing how many people don't grasp even the most simple, common-sense ideas....

• Members

I definitely agree in using this as an opportunity to expand the setlist rapidly, and it's funny. I look at it as an opportunity to add new stuff, but at the same time, I've got about 10 oldies (Hot hot hot, YMCA, Walking on Sunshine, etc.) that I see no bands down here attempt that I want to add ASAP. And yes, I've been jonesing to do YMCA forever. We pulled out a very thin version of it once and it killed. Again, I feel like the bands down here are "too school for cool" and won't play stuff like that (though they'll play SHA, Pride and Joy, Mustang Sally, etc. till the cows come home)

It ain't easy being cheesy, but someone's gotta do it :D

• Members

I definitely agree in using this as an opportunity to expand the setlist rapidly, and it's funny. I look at it as an opportunity to add new stuff, but at the same time, I've got about 10 oldies (Hot hot hot, YMCA, Walking on Sunshine, etc.) that I see no bands down here attempt that I want to add ASAP. And yes, I've been jonesing to do YMCA forever. We pulled out a very thin version of it once and it killed. Again, I feel like the bands down here are "too school for cool" and won't play stuff like that (though they'll play SHA, Pride and Joy, Mustang Sally, etc. till the cows come home)

It ain't easy being cheesy, but someone's gotta do it
:D

:lol:

I think you and I have the same love for cheese. We have YMCA on our songlist but rarely play it as most of the guys in the band hate it so much. I'd play it every night. I think it's a fun song.

We don't do Hot Hot Hot, although I've had that on my mental "short list" forever. Walking On Sunshine kills for us every night. Literally, it's one of our go-to-guaranteed-to-pack-the-floor-if-nothing-else-is-working songs. Better than I ever thought it would.

Have fun with all the new stuff!

Archived