Just cancelled a venue over money

mstreck

• Members

Back in October, we took a $100 pay cut from a venue that was having troubles at the time. We agreed, thinking it would come back to us at some other time. Well, they just asked us to cut our rate ANOTHER $100 because the "owners are losing money every day and can't afford to pay bands". They were already getting our best rate out of all of the places that we play, so we had to say "no, thank you" and would prefer to cancel the rest of our dates if we had to play for that rate. The girl told me that she understood and we were the third band to do so, "so maybe it will change the owners' minds". She also said she's hoping to get us back in the spring once things get turned around. I have my doubts if they will still be open then.

Oh, well... it is what it is.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Someone posted this on that venue's wall on Tuesday.

Free Air, a 3 piece Rock band, featuring Scott Ireland(formerly on Dust N' Bones and Gravitate) is available to play your venue for a $200.oo Winter Rate. Please contact us through Facebook Type in FreeAir without a space. Thank you so much!!

:facepalm:

The good news is that someone else just posted on the venue's wall telling them that they had a lot of people coming to see us. :thu:

I wonder which posting the owners will pay more attention to?

• Members

I wonder which posting the owners will pay more attention to?

Just because you ask someone to hire you doesn't mean they will. Even if you play for next to nothing. There's still something to said for "you get what you pay for".

Is that band worth $200? Even in your area? You tell me.

http://cache.reverbnation.com/freeair

• Members

Just because you ask someone to hire you doesn't mean they will. Even if you play for next to nothing. There's still something to said for "you get what you pay for".

http://cache.reverbnation.com/freeair

To the owners, yes. They aren't even there when the bands are there, but they really only want to pay $300 for bands (we were getting $600), so those guys are a steal at $200!!!! :rolleyes:

You'd think with all of the money they save by not advertising that they'd be able to shell out a little more for bands! :facepalm:

• Members

To the owners, yes. They aren't even there when the bands are there, but they really only want to pay $300 for bands (we were getting $600), so those guys are a steal at $200!!!!
:rolleyes:

Why would they be a "steal" at $200? Have you seen this band play before? Do they have a following? Do they hold a crowd? Sure the owners might not be there when the bands play, but they look at receipts don't they?

• Members

Why would they be a "steal" at $200? Have you seen this band play before? Do they have a following? Do they hold a crowd? Sure the owners might not be there when the bands play, but they look at receipts don't they?

That was sarcasm. I figured the eye roll would have tipped you off. Haha!

• Members

That was sarcasm. I figured the eye roll would have tipped you off. Haha!

I mistook the sarcasm in the eyeroll for a displeasure that the clubowners would hire this band simply because they were cheap.

I'm relieved to know the entire thing was a joke.

Sorry you lost a venue though.

• Members

Oh, but the owners WILL hire them. They've hired worse.

But how does this work for them? Normally I don't like to say bad things about other bands/musicians in public but since this guy is willing to play for $200 and markets his band by posting on nightclubs' Facebook walls....

...this band REALLY sucks balls based on their demos. A girl drummer who can barely keep time who is also the lead singer, and the guitarist has his 60-year old mother playing bass? And they've got a lame original, a 30 year old Pat Benatar album cut and an abortion-version of a Led Zeppelin tune as their demos. How does a band like this not empty the room before the end of the first set? How does a hiring a band like this in any way, shape or form justify a club having "live music" as something to draw people in?

Yes, I understand bad bands get work. Some work a lot and even have followings. But there's a limit to HOW bad a band can be and still get work. Right??

Right???

Based on what you tell me, as long as I show up with two other people (so we're officially a "band" instead of a "duo") we could bang on cans all night and the clubowners would be fine with that as long as we did it for $150.

Has the live music scene REALLY deteriorated this far? Or this just one stupid club that will out of business in a few weeks anyway?

And as far as that goes...what IS the business model of such a club? They serve lunch and dinner and don't really care about making money after 9? What? I don't get how having a horrible band is OK as long as it is cheap enough.

• Members

It doesn't matter how "bad" the band is. What matters is how many of their friends and family they can beg, cajole or bribe to come to their show and buy beers while they play.....whatever. A four or five piece band can easily drum up 20 - 25 people. That is all the club wants to see.

• Members

I saw that FB post as well, and it was really difficult to not to make a negative comment. They really do suck. If I played in band that bad I doubt I could get 20-25 friends to come see me more than once. I play in a half decent band and have a hard time getting friends to come anywhere outside of a couple rooms that are close to their homes.

Sorry about the gig Mike, but I think you did the right thing in sticking to your guns. Let them hire the 200 crap bands, the people will dwindle, and they'll wonder why.

David, I don't think the scene here is any worse than anywhere else, but if you want to play more than a handful of times a month, you'll run into the lowball rooms like these. This is why I'd rather play fewer but higher quality gigs. Even our lowest paying room has merits- 7-11 set time, free drinks, easy load in and setup, great staff, nice patrons. It's a low key, laid back gig where we can break in new songs and have fun. There's more to it than money in some cases.

• Members

Oh my God, that was painful! "Hell is for Children"? Not in this case. Hell is for those listening to this mess. I didn't know you could use trash can lids for cymbals, and I certainly wouldn't be telling everyone they've been playing over 20 years. I'd be surprised if anyone would pay them 200 bucks.

But you know what? What jimiv said is truth here where I live. if those guys could pull their friend and families, they'd get the gig in some clubs. Not all, or even most, but some.

• Members

David, I don't think the scene here is any worse than anywhere else, but if you want to play more than a handful of times a month, you'll run into the lowball rooms like these. This is why I'd rather play fewer but higher quality gigs. Even our lowest paying room has merits- 7-11 set time, free drinks, easy load in and setup, great staff, nice patrons. It's a low key, laid back gig where we can break in new songs and have fun. There's more to it than money in some cases.

Well, and at least I'd go see a good band if I went there.

I'm not so much offended by the fact that bands will play for free, or next to it. Nor am I surprised clubs want to pay as little as possible. It's just that I don't get how bands that truely suck get work simply because they'll play for half-the-price of a good band. At some point the band has to be LISTENABLE. Don't they? Or even if they suck, at least be some sort of high-energy band playing all the latest hip tunes that drunk kids don't care about the quality of?

But some {censored}ty band who advertises the fact that the guitarists 60 year old mother plays bass like that's a GOOD thing and is building their setlist around "Hell is For Children" and bad originals???

:confused:

Maybe Timkeys was right... maybe I HAVE been out of touch with the bar scene for too long... :idk:

• Members

This place was taken over last Spring by a Greek family. By "Greek" I mean straight from Greece and unfamiliar with what works around here. It's a deck bar and a great place to hang in the summer - and they had great crowds every weekend. They fired their bar manager in September thinking they didn't need her. Well, they called her back about a week later when they realized that she knew EVERYTHING about running that place and they knew NOTHING. The crowds lasted until right before Thanksgiving - right around the time that the bar manager took a different job. Then it got cold - and no one wants to hang out on a deck in 40 degree weather, even with the garage doors down and the heaters running, so their crowds started to get worse and worse - except for when a few select bands would play. And last month, they opened a very nice restaurant in the other half of the building. Yes, during the holiday season. And no one came.

All bad business decisions made by people that have no business running a business.

• Members

Well, and at least I'd go see a good band if I went there.

I'm not so much offended by the fact that bands will play for free, or next to it. Nor am I surprised clubs want to pay as little as possible. It's just that I don't get how bands that truely suck get work simply because they'll play for half-the-price of a good band. At some point the band has to be LISTENABLE. Don't they? Or even if they suck, at least be some sort of high-energy band playing all the latest hip tunes that drunk kids don't care about the quality of?

But some {censored}ty band who advertises the fact that the guitarists 60 year old mother plays bass like that's a GOOD thing and is building their setlist around "Hell is For Children" and bad originals???

:confused:

Maybe Timkeys was right... maybe I HAVE been out of touch with the bar scene for too long...
:idk:

Lots of hobby bands out there ,, some are quite good and some suck. A corner bar gig for 2 or three hundred bucks pays the gas and bar tab and it works for what they want to do. get out and play and have a good time. Its not a blood sport ,, and there are plenty of bars that are not big enough or have the money to rake off a hundred and 50 a man. it is what it is.

• Members

I can't find the post. I'll politely comment, I've played that scene (years ago, maybe, but that was my scene) and we'd get low-balled by sh*t bands all the time...

My Brother needs to stop looking for singers and just take the mic so he can get a band in giggin shape, soon.. That is his area, and I'd hate to see him lose a gig to THOSE guys.. OMG... I cannot get those minutes back, I never should have followed the link....

• Members

Ahh, Found it. It is not a page I have 'liked' for personal reasons (the owner is a bastard, lets just say). I kept my personal feelings about him out of my post

(BTW, the FB profile I used is an alter ego I have in case I need to post things on bastards pages, don't judge me.)

• Members

This place was taken over last Spring by a Greek family. By "Greek" I mean straight from Greece and unfamiliar with what works around here. It's a deck bar and a great place to hang in the summer - and they had great crowds every weekend. They fired their bar manager in September thinking they didn't need her. Well, they called her back about a week later when they realized that she knew EVERYTHING about running that place and they knew NOTHING. The crowds lasted until right before Thanksgiving - right around the time that the bar manager took a different job. Then it got cold - and no one wants to hang out on a deck in 40 degree weather, even with the garage doors down and the heaters running, so their crowds started to get worse and worse - except for when a few select bands would play. And last month, they opened a very nice restaurant in the other half of the building. Yes, during the holiday season. And no one came.

All bad business decisions made by people that have no business running a business.

Greek people that have a good business going are extremely polite & generous from what I have experienced.

Archived